Excercise and Fitness X-treme

TheLoneliestMonk

Well I'm feeling pretty damn good.

I maintained my work out regimen for the last 11 months, at least 4 days a week, averaged about 5, went from barely being able to run a mile, to passing a personal milestone of 4 miles this morning in 35 minutes. I added incline walking this past month and am gradually increasing the incline, I'm staying with the 30 mins of walk time for the present. I work out on the weight machines every other day, just to keep the muscle mass I built up over the last year, so all in all, I'm liking the feeling of seeing youngstas 15, 20 years my junior not being able to keep up with me doing

workouts. lol

P.S. And I don't get sore anymore either.

Sword, I'm not saying you're not strong. Please don't misunderstand me! I'm saying, based on what you posted yourself, that you are both using machines, and not trying to build muscle. Maintenance lifts on machines is not the type of abuse that causes massive hypertrophy. (Or soreness)

Heavy is relative, absolutely. I'm saying you are not lifting heavy, for you. :D It's not an insult. Luke is a power lifter. He's doing SHEIKO, for fucks sake, and he's not getting sore. That's patently ABSURD if one is not on test. That's an age thing.

I'm not insulting anyone. But if you are 30 or older and are not getting sore while lifting weights, it is because you are not going heavy. Or you are on something.

ETA: The other option is that you are a lifelong bodybuilder/powerlifter who is very, very, very advanced as a lifter. This is such a rarity that I did not allow for it. But it is also a possibility.

Sword, I'm not saying you're not strong. Please don't misunderstand me! I'm saying, based on what you posted yourself, that you are both using machines, and not trying to build muscle. Maintenance lifts on machines is not the type of abuse that causes massive hypertrophy. (Or soreness)

Heavy is relative, absolutely. I'm saying you are not lifting heavy, for you. :D It's not an insult. Luke is a power lifter. He's doing SHEIKO, for fucks sake, and he's not getting sore. That's patently ABSURD if one is not on test. That's an age thing.

I'm not insulting anyone. But if you are 30 or older and are not getting sore while lifting weights, it is because you are not going heavy. Or you are on something.

ETA: The other option is that you are a lifelong bodybuilder/powerlifter who is very, very, very advanced as a lifter. This is such a rarity that I did not allow for it. But it is also a possibility.

I'm not insulted. Like I said, I'm feeling good and fucking with u a bit on semantics seemed like fun. Yea, if I was power lifting, I'd prolly be sore as hell

I am so weak. Hard to believe how fast it happens. (ok, its been 4 months with no real workouts)

I am starting with just something to get me moving a little, work the muscles so they get used to it again, and get the heart rate up, at least a little. My "Belly Dance for "is about perfect for those who have lived a slugs life. Works a lot of muscle groups, gets areobic and even makes me sweat. A few weeks of that and I should be ready to move to the threadmill and weight machine.

I just need to remind myself that the most important thing is to do something. Anything is better than sitting on the couch. If I start slow, it is better than not starting at all, or trying too much and getting discouraged and quitting.

That's not odd, that's biology.

If you're lifting hard, you can feel nausea. You can feel weakness or shakiness. This is due to slamming your central nervous system. But soreness is due to micro tears and lactic acid release. Neither of which you feel instantaneously.

the wave loading thing is introducing me to a new level of soreness. it's odd though, I never feel it right then, it always comes on the next day.

Do you usually feel it the day of? I tend to just feel wicked tired and weak, my muscles are always like jelly when I'm done. In fact two days ago when I was doing my frog jumps I couldn't even control my landing my legs were so weak, my quads need a looot of work. Soreness tends to hit me 1-2 days later.

My new baby

In my ongoing quest to drastically improve my cardiovascular fitness and muscular endurance over long distances I went and got myself a road bike. 10 miles to work and 10 miles back every day should do nicely. Having cycled the route a few times I'm not worried about the cardio aspect too much. However, there are some very nice hills that really get the lactic burn going on in the legs so I'll be working my muscular endurance nicely. Plus, biking over the hills is just ten times more fun than being stuck on a train.

Do you usually feel it the day of? I tend to just feel wicked tired and weak, my muscles are always like jelly when I'm done. In fact two days ago when I was doing my frog jumps I couldn't even control my landing my legs were so weak, my quads need a looot of work. Soreness tends to hit me 1-2 days later.

The worst soreness for me is 2 days after, which is when I know I have to get on the treadmill and walk it out. It's just lactic acid buildup in the muscles, and some cardio should get enough blood going through them that it will wash a good deal of the acid away.

The joys of youth :P

Don't get me wrong I feel it the next day but actual muscular soreness is rare.

As FF said soreness doesn't tell you anything anyway.

Okay exercisers I have a question and need some advice.

Keeping in mind that my goals are to lose 5-10 pounds, and just to be generally more active. I'm female, 25, and I weigh about 135 pounds.

My building gym has an elliptical, an exercise bike, and a treadmill. The last two days I did 30 min on the elliptical, and the machine told me I burned about 300 calories. Today I did the bike, and while the machine said I only burned about 100 calories, the bike seemed much more difficult and like I was pushing myself much more.

Should I stick to one or the other? Or switch them up? Are workout machines calorie calculations even accurate?

Should I stick to one or the other? Or switch them up? Are workout machines calorie calculations even accurate?

Depends a lot on how your body feels after wards. One thing to remember about running is that proper posture is KEY. 80% of runners suffer a running related injury a tear (usually knee or low back) because they DONT KNOW HOW to run. Toe striking is so important yet i go to the gym and all isee are heal strikers on the treadmills. Granted running on a treadmill is lower impact than asphalt but posture and body mechanics are still key.

I have no idea as to whether workout machines are accurate, but it's good to get different kinds of workouts in to build muscle even if all you're trying to do is lose weight. The rule of thumb is that running is 3x harder than biking and that swimming is 3x harder than swimming. So if you went the same distance on the bike as you did on the elliptical then the calorie burn should be roughly 1/3.

Archived