Whats games have you been playing of late? I'm Still Playing Morrowind.

Poobah

Dammit.

Anyway, been spending time on Dawn of War II's multiplayer. Mostly the Last Stand mode, which is fun, although I've yet to get past wave 11 (there are 20 waves). I've tried a couple head to head matches and been butchered in under ten minutes--and really it's decided in more like five minutes, but it takes another few minutes for the victory flag score to run out. Also some singleplayer, which is less fun than the Last Stand and more fun than getting totally pwned head to head.

And more L4D2, of course, which remains awesome.

Altitude is fun, but a little shallow. I've an enormous backlog at this point and if I wanted to play more multiplayer I'd get The Ship or Team Fortress 2 or Supreme Commander or whatever. OTOH, casual players won't get slaughtered, so it has that going for it.

(yeah, I lied about getting into Jade Empire. Eventually, it will happen)

Are you a masochist? The game doesn’t really get more difficult on insanity, it just ramps up enemy hitpoints and damage reduction. It can take ages to kill some random merc on insanity, particularly if you miss with Warp. Not my idea of fun.

Nah not a masochist but a gamescore freak. I want to have the 1200 points. Playing Insanity with a soldier and immunity is really easy, since you can cast immunity before it duration ends. So you are god. However, your Mako sucks balls. Really, I am so scared of the Ilos mission with the Mako. How the hell am I supposed to reach the conduit in time? On Hardcore my Mako was nearly dead when I reached the big-bad Conduit.

Really, I am so scared of the Ilos mission with the Mako. How the hell am I supposed to reach the conduit in time? On Hardcore my Mako was nearly dead when I reached the big-bad Conduit.

I don’t recall ever having trouble reaching the conduit. It gets shot up pretty badly on hardcore and insanity, but the damage isn’t going to stop you.

What makes the Mako near useless on insanity is enemies with immunity. Hit a group of mercs with the Mako cannon and they start bouncing all over the landscape without taking serious damage. Wastes lots of your time...

I am still stuck playing Civ III. Too much time wasted on that game, trying all sorts of things to get used to it and develop a decent strategy.

I've had a lot of fun playing huge maps with 16 civs. I had one recent campaign as the Greeks, went to war pretty early on and nearly eliminated America. Then I went after the Incas and took them out, beating them soundly enough that they sued for peace, gave me cash and two of their remaining three cities. Waited a few years, now up to knights, then went after Portugal and Maya at the same time.

Most recent game, I tried to plant a spy in Iroquois, they declared war on me. Which was stupid, but whatever, free territory. However, by this stage every civ except Greece had a mutual protection pact with someone else, so the whole world went to war. When the smoke cleared, I had doubled my territory and had 22 ICBMs and 15 nuc. submarines loaded with tactical nukes. Nothing like destroying the world. :box:

Basically, I play it way too much.

Okay, so in Last Stand in Dawn of War three heroes team up and attempt to pwn increasingly badass waves of AI fodder. I just got to wave 18 or 19, and there were six Dreadnoughts running around in addition to a few dozen tactical and scout marines. Round or two before that there were six or maybe nine kill kans running around in addition to a frickin' orcish horde.

Madness. Sheer madness.

Am currently playing Ratchet and Clank - Up Your Arsenal on my beloved PS2. It's a lot of fun.

Actually, I'm mostly reading this thread to figure out if there is any good PS3 game I should get my husband for X-mas. I was thinking maybe Arkham Asylum or Borderlands? Hmmm...

Am currently playing Ratchet and Clank - Up Your Arsenal on my beloved PS2. It's a lot of fun.

Easily my favorite R&C. Haven't played A Crack in Time yet, but it would have to be better than what I've heard to displace Up Your Arsenal.

Still plugging away on Gears 2, and still not really feeling it. I beat the first Gears on Insane twice (once co-op with my brother, and once solo) and I can't see myself even bothering at all with Gears 2.

Just bought Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Really an amazingly crafted and executed game. If you like the adventure/action/puzzle/tomb raider types of games you have to buy this. This has big budget blockbuster production values.

It's also one of those games that is universally acclaimed by the critics, although I respect that less and less since most of them seem on the take.

I meant to say--the singleplayer in Dawn of War II is unintentionally hilarious, in large part due to the stupidity of the 40k setting. So you have these professional voice actors doing their best Serious Hard Man Growly Voice and saying things like "Mek Badzappa" and "RippaSplitta". Serious tonal clash.

Okay, so in Last Stand in Dawn of War three heroes team up and attempt to pwn increasingly badass waves of AI fodder. I just got to wave 18 or 19, and there were six Dreadnoughts running around in addition to a few dozen tactical and scout marines. Round or two before that there were six or maybe nine kill kans running around in addition to a frickin' orcish horde.

Madness. Sheer madness.

best me and my friends have ever managed is 17 with the mass 'nids, and that quickly went downhill for us due to the massive slow down that we were all suffering after fighting out clones, the amount of mega rumbla's and eldritch storms tossed around by both sides was insane.

Question for everyone through, a fair number of my Steam clan is playing CoD: Modern warfare 2 and keep bugging me to get it despite them knowing I'm not a huge fan of fps's, so before I allow myself to cave into their pressure at some point, is it actually any good? or am I better off avoiding it.

Question for everyone through, a fair number of my Steam clan is playing CoD: Modern warfare 2 and keep bugging me to get it despite them knowing I'm not a huge fan of fps's, so before I allow myself to cave into their pressure at some point, is it actually any good? or am I better off avoiding it.

Well, since you're not a fan of fps's, I'd say no.

It's a good game, but it's not some genre-defying masterpiece or anything. Chances are, if FPS games aren't your cup of tea, then MW2 won't do much for you.

Just finished off Assassin's Creed 2 yesterday. It's everything the first one should have been. The ending was a little strange, but it was otherwise fantastic. I've just a got a to find a few more glyphs and feathers to sweep up the couple of achievements. Didn't bother with any of the side missions and it still took me at least 25 hours to get through.

I don't know what's up next. Maybe I'll try to get into DragonAge again, while I wait for GameFly to send me something better.

Well, since you're not a fan of fps's, I'd say no.

It's a good game, but it's not some genre-defying masterpiece or anything. Chances are, if FPS games aren't your cup of tea, then MW2 won't do much for you.

Its not that I'm not a fan of them, its just that I much better at rpgs and rts, I have dulled reaction times from my dyspraxia so I only tend to enter into fps's when they can be fun like tf2 or L4D

So I spent some time with Borderlands' singleplayer and think I'd prefer to be playing this online. Anyone here wanna join up with a level 7 siren?

Playing Borderlands (and Dragon Age, but who isn't). I have two level 20ish characters. The multiplayer is very fun, but frustrating at the same time. I simply couldn't get a private game to work. Eventually had to look up why and was told to port forward. They just came out with a patch today and have not corrected their broken buddy system. In addition I couldn't get the mic to work so a friend and I had to use another program. I'm told the mic in Borderlands is always on anyway.

Despite all its quirks it is still very fun. Diablo with Guns.

Hrm. The Last Remnant is 75% off on Steam. I do enjoy jRPGs, but don't usually have time for them. Does anyone know how good the story is in this game? To give you an idea of what I value in a game story: I think that Final Fantasy Tactics had the best story ever. I figure Westeros users should know a good story when they see one!

Hrm. The Last Remnant is 75% off on Steam. I do enjoy jRPGs, but don't usually have time for them. Does anyone know how good the story is in this game? To give you an idea of what I value in a game story: I think that Final Fantasy Tactics had the best story ever. I figure Westeros users should know a good story when they see one!

Hated it. Despite claims of trying to appeal to a Western audience with much of their story and design, it has a vast amount of Japanese/anime-specific tropes and cliches of the facepalm-worthy variety. I found the gameplay to be both frustrating and boring as well. I pretty much hate any SRPG's gameplay, though (I can't even force myself to play through FFT:WotL even though the story and cutscenes are pure sex, though I did finish the original) and TLR has a reasonable following among those who like such.

The complete list of the game's redeeming qualities, in my opinion:

- The story, while fairly awful, is rather good at placing in hooks that make you want to know what comes next.

- The one character who is a king or prince or something (David?) looks exactly like Bart from Xenogears, only with a weapon sighting scope in place of an eyepatch, which is occasionally awesome.

- The graphics are pretty hot when you aren't being assaulted by atrocious texture pop-in problems. In other words, the graphics are pretty hot about 2% of the time.

- Some badass cut-scenes.

Well I missed the sale. I asked around a bit, and it seems like most people didn't like it any better than you did, Kurokaze.

I haven't seriously played a jRPG since Final Fantasy IX. I do feel nostalgic for them. But I think it might be that kind of nostalgia that gets popped the minute you try to relive it, and remember all the bad things about it, haha.

If they did make a sequel to FFT, I'd sign up for that right away.

Archived