World Cup 2010 - The draw is settled

Horza

as per usual when the usa gets knocked out i will be pulling for germany.

Situation is looking pretty bleak now for the US. Onyewu seems ok, but he was still trying to gain respect at AC Milan so it's questionable how much he'll play before the tourny starts, Dempsey's fine but the conflicting reports from Sochaux and the USMNT are making me worry about Davies. He's too important to the team and at the very least it says that he won't get any time with his club to get in form in time for the tournament.

Obviously it's up to Bradley whether he makes the squad, but having played no competitive matches in almost a year makes me question just how useful he'll be. I honestly don't like Buddle as a replacement either, he doesn't really do anything that Altidore can't do better. I'd rather see Bradley pick up Gomez to be honest. :smoking:

Germany's provisional 27-man World Cup squad:

Goalkeepers: Hans-Jorg Butt (Bayern Munich), Manuel Neuer (Schalke 04), Tim Wiese (Werder Bremen)

Defenders: Per Mertesacker (Werder Bremen), Heiko Westermann (Schalke 04), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Jerome Boateng (Hamburg), Andreas Beck (Hoffenheim), Arne Friedrich (Hertha Berlin), Serdar Tasci (Stuttgart), Marcell Jansen (Hamburg), Holger Badstuber (Bayern Munich), Dennis Aogo (Hamburg).

Midfielders: Michael Ballack (Chelsea/ENG), Sami Khedira (Stuggart), Piotr Trochowski (Hamburg), Marko Marin (Werder Bremen), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich), Christian Trasch (Stuttgart), Mesut Ozil (Werder Bremen), Toni Kroos (Bayer Leverkusen).

Forwards: Lukas Podolski (Cologne), Miroslav Klose (Bayern Munich), Stefan Kiessling (Bayer Leverkusen), Cacau (Stuttgart), Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich), Mario Gomez (Bayern Munich).

When can we expect squads from the other nations?

Germany's provisional 27-man World Cup squad:

Goalkeepers: Hans-Jorg Butt (Bayern Munich), Manuel Neuer (Schalke 04), Tim Wiese (Werder Bremen)

Defenders: Per Mertesacker (Werder Bremen), Heiko Westermann (Schalke 04), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Jerome Boateng (Hamburg), Andreas Beck (Hoffenheim), Arne Friedrich (Hertha Berlin), Serdar Tasci (Stuttgart), Marcell Jansen (Hamburg), Holger Badstuber (Bayern Munich), Dennis Aogo (Hamburg).

Midfielders: Michael Ballack (Chelsea/ENG), Sami Khedira (Stuggart), Piotr Trochowski (Hamburg), Marko Marin (Werder Bremen), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich), Christian Trasch (Stuttgart), Mesut Ozil (Werder Bremen), Toni Kroos (Bayer Leverkusen).

Forwards: Lukas Podolski (Cologne), Miroslav Klose (Bayern Munich), Stefan Kiessling (Bayer Leverkusen), Cacau (Stuttgart), Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich), Mario Gomez (Bayern Munich).

When can we expect squads from the other nations?

Next Tuesday for France.

So, what is the starting eleven in the German team ? I must say I don't recognize a lot of names there (except for the forwards).

So, what is the starting eleven in the German team ?

Depends on the formation and which goalkeeper Löw picks. My guess would be a 4-2-3-1:

Neuer

Boateng-Mertesacker-Tasci-Lahm

Ballack-Schweinsteiger

Marin-Özil-Podolski

Klose

Or possibly 4-4-2 with the same players, just Podolski playing as a striker with Özil and Marin playing on the wings.

I can't believe Morgaro Gomis never made the Paraguay team. :(

Okay, I didn't know who he is so I looked him up and according to wikipedia he is French of Senegalese descent. How could he have made it into the Paraguay national team?

Situation is looking pretty bleak now for the US.

I'm worried about team USA too. Has anyone seen much of Wotford this season? I only saw highlights from when they got clobbered by Chelsea in the FA Cup. I still think that Demerit and Gooch is our strongest potential partnership in central defense, but I worry that Demerit may be coming off a less than steller season (I see Wotford is in 16th in the Championship), while gooch has spent the season playing xbox.

Specter has had a tough season at West Ham. Though he's been getting played out of position on the left.

I think Davies is a lost cause. Altidore hasn't exactly had a break-out season at Hull, with only one goal all season. I really don't know what our attacking threat is going to come from, other than Dempsey.

The time between fixtures has affected rankings. The significance of results over a long period of time lessens, as more recent fixtures are given more precedence.

Oh, that makes sense, thanks.

So, what is the starting eleven in the German team ? I must say I don't recognize a lot of names there (except for the forwards).

I'm finding it a little difficult myself.

Let's see...I know all their goalies, but only know a few defenders like Mertersacker, Lahm and Badstuber. Amongst their midfielders, I fare a bit better, knowing Ballack (of course), Trochowski, Schweinsteiger and Kroos. Klose, Podolski, Gomez and Muller are well known as well...

Okay, can't make a team out of that. :lol:

But didn't everyone have the same problem when the last WC came around? It'll be interesting to see if they get off on another flyer.

Let's see...I know all their goalies, but only know a few defenders like Mertersacker, Lahm and Badstuber. Amongst their midfielders, I fare a bit better, knowing Ballack (of course), Trochowski, Schweinsteiger and Kroos. Klose, Podolski, Gomez and Muller are well known as well...

Okay, can't make a team out of that. :lol:

But didn't everyone have the same problem when the last WC came around? It'll be interesting to see if they get off on another flyer.

You don't know Mesut Ozil? He's awesome, keep an eye out for him in the tourney then.

Nay, can't recall seeing him before. Half the squad are low on caps. It'll be interesting to see how they compare collectively to other picked squads. The only surprise I had seeing the squad, was that Hitzsperger wasn't picked. Less surprised about Hinkel, who's been a little off it over the second half of the season.

He's been floating around for a while, but he's only come to real attention since Diego left Werder Bremen and he got the central role he likes.

I do like how young their squad is, there's a few names in it that from what I know of the players will be held in considerably higher stock after the tournament. Very attacking too.

I like Zee Germans. I shouldn't really, but after England and the Slav-love I give to Slovakia, Slovenia and Serbia they're probably my favourite team there. No-nonsense, efficient, effective, attractive attacking football and a squad with virtually no ego or pretension.

Nay, can't recall seeing him before. Half the squad are low on caps. It'll be interesting to see how they compare collectively to other picked squads. The only surprise I had seeing the squad, was that Hitzsperger wasn't picked. Less surprised about Hinkel, who's been a little off it over the second half of the season.

Özil and Marin are regulars for Werder, Khedira, Cacau and Tasci for Stuttgart, Friedrich was already in the 2006 team (though he was pretty crappy this season, he plays for Hertha after all), Stefan Kießling is the leading Bundesliga scorer (en par with Dzeko), Aogo and Boateng play for Hamburg and the latter recently signed for Man City (which admittedly reflects poorly on him, but in his defense morale at Hamburg appears to be at a record low).

Özil, Marin, Khedira, Boateng, Aogo, Beck and Kroos were part of last year's U-21 Championship winning side.

Hitzlsperger moved to Lazio in the winter after losing his place at Stuttgart. According to wiki he made all of three appearances for them, and considering how badly they are doing that does not reflect well on him.

i believe that quite a few teams have a limited pool of quality players and their cores are known well in advance

i can make a list of serbian players off the top of my head

goalies:

stojkovic (currently on loan in wigan - in terrible form)

defenders:

vidic (man utd), ivanovic (chelsea), subotic (borussia dortmund), kolarov (lazio)

midfield:

stankovic (inter), jovanovic (standard liege), krasic (cska moscow), tosic (man utd, currently on loan in koln/cologne), milijas (wolves), kuzmanovic (stuttgart)

forwards:

zigic (valencia), pantelic (ajax), lazovic (zenit)

those are almost certain to go, unless they get injured (heaven forbid :D)

rest of the positions are pretty much up for grabs

dragutinovic(seville) and jankovic (genoa if i'm not mistaken) will miss it because of injuries

kolarov is the left back, regularly in lazio's starting lineup

has a pretty good season behind him, and will almost certainly leave lazio during the summer

i've forgotten about kacar and lukovic

kacar's playing for hertha, has been injured for a while this season

he can play in any position in defense or midfield, and be pretty good at it

has played a great part in qualifiers, although he missed some matches

i don't know much about lukovic, but he was a regular in our back four so that must count for something

jovanovic and pantelic are rumoured to be going to liverpool next year

allegedly, jovanovic passed physical exams and signed some sort of pre-contract

pantelic had a good enough season in ajax, and will be a free player come the summer, so i wouldn't dismiss the possibility of that transfer either

he's not even close to torres, but i'm 100% certain he's better than n'gog

Archived