World Cup 2010 - The draw is settled

Horza

Pantelic is better than N'Gog sure, but a lot worse than Torres. I don't know if he could cut it in the Prem either. They could probably have got better than him, if they hadn't overpsent on Aquilani and Johnson.

of course he's a lot worse than torres.

only a few of the forwards in the world aren't (drogba, rooney, eto'o and maybe a couple more)

if liverpool bring pantelic to replace torres, i'll laugh my ass off along with everyone else

but if they bring him to replace n'gog that would be something

especially because pantelic's main quality is not scoring so many goals.

he makes a lot of room for his striking partner, sets up a lot of goals and creates chances

that type of player would be a great addition to liverpool (provided that benitez would finally switch to 4-4-2 with gerrard back in the midfield where he belongs instead of playing torres's backup)

i'm sure there will be some forwards better than pantelic in the market this summer

but i doubt there will be many of them who come for "free"

as for him cutting it in the premiership, we'll just have to wait and see

after all, it can't be predicted accurately. who would have guessed bendtner would do better in the premiership than shevchenko?

Did everyone see this BBC ad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJt5xc3SZ3g&feature=player_embedded

I'm so excited! Bring on the World CUP!!! :cheers:

Ah, yeah, saw that on MotD last night. Awesome promo, although the 'white' section felt a bit out of place (had to put England in there somewhere though, I guess).

ST

Ah, yeah, saw that on MotD last night. Awesome promo, although the 'white' section felt a bit out of place (had to put England in there somewhere though, I guess).

ST

Yeah, and it clearly focued on EPL stars (Rooney, Drogba, Torres). That's understandable if you're trying to psych up a British audience. Woulda been cool to see Americans get in it as well. All the same though, it's a great promo.

I was reading about the average home crowds during the qualifiers. Mexico had the highest with an amazing 82,000 average attendance. England wasn't too far behind (just below 80K). And France inevitably beat Ireland into 4th. We had almost 60,000 at every home game.

It was a very interesting list. Iran was in 5th with 55,000 per game.

Spain's Provisional Squad

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), David De Gea (Atletico Madrid), Diego Lopez (Villarreal), Jose Reina (Liverpool) Victor Valdes (Barcelona).

Defenders: Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid) Cesar Azpilicueta (Osasuna), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid).

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergi Busquets (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Javi Martinez (Athletic Bilbao) Marcos Senna (Villarreal), David Silva (Valencia), Xavi (Barcelona).

Forwards: Santi Cazorla (Villarreal), Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Juan Manuel Mata (Valencia) Pedro Rodriguez (Barcelona), Dani Guiza (Fenerbache) Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Alvaro Negredo (Sevilla), Fernando Torres (Liverpool FC) and David Villa (Valencia).

Unbelievable depth, just looking at the amount of class players there, they surely have to win. Cutting 7 players will be hard for them, I hope Pedro and Navas go.

Portugal's 24-man Squad

Goalkeepers

BETO (FC PORTO)

DANIEL FERNANDES (IRAKLIS)

EDUARDO (Sp. Braga)

Defenders

PEPE (REAL MADRID)

PEDRO MENDES (SPORTING)

FÁBIO COENTRÂO (BENFICA)

DUDA (MÁLAGA)

RICARDO COSTA (LILLE)

ROLANDO (FC PORTO)

BRUNO ALVES (FC PORTO)

RICARDO CARVALHO (CHELSEA)

PAULO FERREIRA (CHELSEA)

MIGUEL (VALENCIA)

Midfielders

SIMÃO SABROSA (AT. MADRID)

MIGUEL VELOSO (SPORTING)

RAUL MEIRELES (FC PORTO)

DECO (CHELSEA)

TIAGO (DEPORTIVO CORUNHA)

ZÉ CASTRO (DEPORTIVO)

NANI (MANCHESTER UNITED)

CRISTIANO RONALDO (REAL MADRID)

Forwards

HUGO ALMEIDA (WERDER BREMEN)

LIEDSON (SPORTING)

DANNY (ZENIT)

Australia's fuckass huge 31-man preliminary squad

Goalkeepers

Mark Schwarzer (Fulham), Adam Federici (Reading), Brad Jones (Middlesborough), Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide Utd)

Defenders

Michael Beauchamp (Al Jazira), David Carney (FC Twente), Scott Chipperfield (FC Basel), Shane Lowry (Aston Villa), Mark Milligan (JEF Utd), Craig Moore (Un-attached), Lucas Neill (Galatasaray), Jade North (Tromso), Rhys Williams (Middlesborough)

Midfielders

Mark Bresciano (Palermo), Tim Cahill (Everton), Nick Carle (Crystal Palace) Jason Culina (Gold Coast Utd), Brett Emerton (Blackburn), Richard Garcia (un-attached), Vince Grella (Blackburn), James Holland (AZ Alkmaar), Brett Holman (AZ Alkmaar), Mile Jedinak (Antalyaspor), Tommy Oar (FC Utrecht), Carl Valeri (Sassuolo), Dario Vidosic (1FC Nurnberg), Luke Wilkshire (Dynamo Moscow)

Forwards

Josh Kennedy (Nagoya Grampus), 'Awwy Kewell (Galatasaray), Scott McDonald (Middlesborough), Nikita Rukavytsya (FC Twente)

Lots of fan favourites getting a look in as injury clouds hang over Bresciano and Kewell. Not too many surprises but the inclusion of younger defenders Shane Lowry, Rhys Williams and Mark Milligan suggests Pim is worried about pace at the back.

Not too many surprises but the inclusion of younger defenders Shane Lowry, Rhys Williams and Mark Milligan suggests Pim is worried about pace at the back.

Why worry when you have the mighty Craig Moore?

Why worry when you have the mighty Craig Moore?

Mighty no more.

In the last year as well as losing a yard of pace (he is 34 after all) he suffered a major form dip, fell out with his A-League club and packed off to Greece where he did it all again. I don't mind having him in the preliminary squad due to his experience but I'd be very worried if he made the final team or worse, the starting squad.

Unbelievable depth, just looking at the amount of class players there, they surely have to win. Cutting 7 players will be hard for them, I hope Pedro and Navas go.

If Spain has to cut 7 I would expect them to axe a few of those strikers. They only play 1 or 2 strikers anyway and several of the midfielders selected could serve as wingers. Plus those midfielders are bigger names than those strikers, so I expect quite a few of those to drop off.

Portugal has a nice looking squad one has to say. I hope Nani and Ronaldo will play together.

Lots of fan favourites getting a look in as injury clouds hang over Bresciano and Kewell. Not too many surprises but the inclusion of younger defenders Shane Lowry, Rhys Williams and Mark Milligan suggests Pim is worried about pace at the back.

I'm disappointed that Chris Coyne isn't in the squad, although I admit that there's not much separating him from North or Beauchamp. Maybe pace was a deciding factor as you suggest :dunno:.

I'm a Celtic fan, I was joking. :lol:

That Scott McDonald lad, on the other hand, is different class.

McDonald is very lucky to be in the frame for selection as far as I'm concerned. I wish him all the best, but there can be no hiding from the fact that his performances to date for the Socceroos have been dire. A fairly impressive club record and a dearth of other viable options are the only factors keeping the door ajar.

England's provisional squad, fresh from the press:

GOALKEEPERS

Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green

DEFENDERS

Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock

MIDFIELDERS

Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips

FORWARDS

Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

So Carragher's our reserve right-back? :unsure:

Surely Warnock is your reserve right-back? Or do you not expect him to make the final squad?

Archived