The Wheel of Time

Migey

By the way guys, i really enjoy Mats PoV, but there seem to be hardly any... And i havnt seen a single perrin chapter in FoH yet...

Characters drop in and out of importance in books in the series.

There's no Perrin in FOH for instance.

That's true, insofar as the reason goes, yeah. But it's the fixation that causes the indecision, and while it might have been moderately interesting for a few chapters, it's not the material that multiple books are derived of.

Absolutely. And it takes over his character. Of course the characters in the books should grow and evolve and change. And he does. Into a whiny, indecisive, narrow minded, insufferable bore. Others may have enjoyed that turn, I didn't.

Absolutely. And it takes over his character. Of course the characters in the books should grow and evolve and change. And he does. Into a whiny, indecisive, narrow minded, insufferable bore. Others may have enjoyed that turn, I didn't.

I don't think anyone could have enjoyed the turn. The real question is, did the author intend for us to enjoy it and still appreciate the character? Or did he write him so he would be an annoying little ass.

I don't think anyone could have enjoyed the turn. The real question is, did the author intend for us to enjoy it and still appreciate the character? Or did he write him so he would be an annoying little ass.

I don't know. I got the impression we were supposed to be concerned about his single-mindedness (if for no other reason because it's lampshaded in tGS) but beyond that it didn't seem to me like the author found him annoying or intended him to be so.

I thought it was obvious we're very much supposed to be concerned about his scary-ass single-mindedness.

I always looked at Perrin in a few of the later books like the character of Nynaeve. Well drawn, but that doesn't mean they are likable.

Though obviously, like anything in 8-10 or so, it drags out longer then it should.

I always looked at Perrin in a few of the later books like the character of Nynaeve. Well drawn, but that doesn't mean they are likable.

I object to that statement. Nynaeve is not merely likable, she's lovable. She's warm hearted, and one of the most comically self deluded characters in fantasy.

She abrasive, and can be irritating as hell, yes, but she's got loads of personality. I find that so lacking in so many female leads that I always get excited at a Nynaeve chapter. She's unpredictable as hell, which adds to the suspense too. One scene, she's agonizing over something silly, the next, she'd taking charge and doing things... in a very satisfying way. And yet, her characterization is consistent and well drawn.

I shudder at the thought of WoT without Nynaeve.

Archived