US Politics XXXVIII

Ser Scot A Ellison

wow--we're going through a thread a day. It's like the election days all over again :-)

I for one am happy that I can now stay on my parents' insurance plan, as I am about to graduate. As to how the rest plays out, I'll just wait and see.

Now how long is it expected until the reconciliation part is over?

Well, you yourself said the bill needed to be challenged.

I'm curious how effective the GOP stall will be. According to CNN, the House Dems are confident in another yes vote, so it goes right back to the senate without the problematic legislation.

Gah, I hate the Senate.

It won't cause any problems. This is just egg in the face of democrats. "This [legislation] is a big fucking deal." There should be no mistakes.

It won't cause any problems. This is just egg in the face of democrats. "This [legislation] is a big fucking deal." There should be no mistakes.

Not really (egg in the face). This was a tiny mistake - 16 lines out of a 2000+ page bill. I'd be willing to bet you anything it happens to most bills that go through congress. This only displays the absolute pettiness that the Republicans are willing to put on display to the country. Well, even more absolute pettiness. The last year has been full of astounding displays of childishness, poor sportsmanship, and overall dickishness that still amazes me even though I should be immune to it by now.

Your party is the one with egg on its face, but it's so caught up in it's own bullshit that even when the salmonella poisoning sets in they'll still ignore it.

This is the specific details I've dug up so far:

A Senate Democratic aide said the one of the provisions in question involved changes to the Pell grant program, which is part of an education section in the reconciliation bill. The provision would prevent reductions in the amount of Pell grants for students from low-income families as a result of a decrease in money appropriated for the program by Congress.

Basically, no change in what the bill DOES, just a change in the wording.

But any change in wording means it's gotta be voted on again.

I don't know if this resets the clock in the Senate though. There may be another all-nighter of shooting down pointless GOP amendments. (Which really shows who should be ashamed of themselves here. The GOP is just stalling for no reason.)

EDIT: Wait, looks like it doesn't need to go back to the Senate. The Senate votes, back to the House, then done.

Not really (egg in the face). This was a tiny mistake - 16 lines out of a 2000+ page bill. I'd be willing to bet you anything it happens to most bills that go through congress. This only displays the absolute pettiness that the Republicans are willing to put on display to the country. Well, even more absolute pettiness. The last year has been full of astounding displays of childishness, poor sportsmanship, and overall dickishness that still amazes me even though I should be immune to it by now.

The Republicans told the Democrats that they were going to stall the bill anyway they could. The Democrats have been planning reconciliation for months. There is really no excuse for the mistakes.

Your party is the one with egg on its face

Because I have voted for democrats the past two presidential elections, you're correct.

The Republicans told the Democrats that they were going to stall the bill anyway they could. The Democrats have been planning reconciliation for months. There is really no excuse for the mistakes.

You're right, because no mistake has ever been made regarding wording in the history of government. :rolleyes:

Because I have voted for democrats the past two presidential elections, you're correct.

Oh, so you're a registered Democrat then? You need to stop being so confusing, what with you carrying the GOP banner in so many of these politics threads. Again, :rolleyes:

does it even matter who has egg on their face, when compared to who fucking won?

does it even matter who has egg on their face, when compared to who fucking won?

Just an embarrassing footnote for posterity.

Oh, so you're a registered Democrat then? You need to stop being so confusing, what with you carrying the GOP banner in so many of these politics threads. Again,

I am not registered as a democrat or republican, but if you look at my voting record I am clearly on the democrat's side.

You (and most people on this board) confuse "carrying the GOP banner" with not prostrating yourself before Obama/whoever and not adding the requisite number of negative adjectives before Bush's name.

You (and most people on this board) confuse "carrying the GOP banner" with not prostrating yourself before Obama/whoever and not adding the requisite number of negative adjectives before Bush's name.

Sorry, but you're wrong. I equate it with you clearly taking one side more than another. If you were impartial in some things, sure, but you come across as quite partial in many of your posts. Just as I do.

But since this is completely pointless, let's just drop it.

More partisan bullshit:

SENATE HEARING ON ENDING VETERAN HOMELESSNESS ABRUPTLY SHUT DOWN DUE TO PARTISAN OBSTRUCTION ON THE SENATE FLOOR

http://veterans.senate.gov/press-releases.cfm?action=release.display&release_id=1f46169f-0c3d-4925-b8ad-a6244e952c9d

Oh yeah, THAT'S gonna play well....

Here's a fuller list of the many hearings they have scuttled in their pettiness:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/3/24/123325/122

Also, this is awesome:

Vice President Joe Biden managed to sum it up in four words.

"A big f---ing deal."

His celebratory comment to President Barack Obama during the signing ceremony was picked up by a microphone on live national TV. Those four words spread to all corners of the media, and were even a hot topic in the next morning's presidential briefing.

"You know what the best thing about yesterday was?" Obama reportedly said on Wednesday. "Joe's comment."

Biden shot back, "If you thought it was so good, why didn't you say it?"

According to Biden, who recounted the exchange during a fundraiser later that day, the president tried to have a t-shirt made with the remark but wasn't able to get one in time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/25/biden-on-big-f---ing-deal_n_512555.html

The stalling tactics are unsurprising but frustrating. I really, really, really, (I mean, really) hope that this comes back to bite them in November.

But that all depends on how well the bill is perceived, and to be honest, that will depend on how the economy is doing.

Hopefully with statistics like these, we are turning a corner.

It's really up to the DNC to nail the Republicans for this. While the GOP is busy with their stalling tactics, the Dems need to sneak in a very popular piece of legislation in and force the Republicans to stall it as well. Call their bluff when it's something that they can be hammered with come November.

There's talk that the Democrats will reintroduce the non-stupid amendments the GOP tried to stall the bill with. They will bring them back as individual bills and force the Republicans to either vote against their own stuff, or pass it. Either way blunts their ability to use them in attack ads in November.

Also, Financial Reform seems to be next and that seems to be the bill the Democrats want to use to back the GOP into a corner.

Archived