Predictions For The End Of The Series

Phantom

I honestly, truely don't believe G.R.R. Martin is gonna finish the series. He's too easily distracted and seems to have major issues with writing.

As much as I hate to admit it...I kind of think the same thing. Two more books, probably huge ones will take a while to write. Man I hope he finishes it. On a happier note though, my horrible predictions

Jon - the wall falls, and Jon fights to destroy the others and save the kingdom. Then returns to the north to rebuild the wall and rule the NW.

Dany - Rules Westeros as a just queen and marrys someone, maybe Quentyn or willas.

Bran - Dies helping destroy the others after he learns how to use his warging powers to the fullest. Remembered in the history books.

Sansa - Kills littlefinger. Marries SweetRobin. Rules the Vale after he dies a young death.

Tyrion - Joins Dany. After they win the war he spends his time traveling from place to place asking about a woman named Tysha.

Davos - I dont really care

Theon - Kills Ramsey. Slightly redeems himself. Is killed by Asha

Cersei - Dies. Jaime yields while fighting for her life.

Jaime - Lives. Helps win the war. Wins back his honor. The new generation doesnt call him Kingslayer but some other awesome name.

Samwell - has to live. Becomes to maester at castle black

Arianne - becomes the Lady of Sunspear

Asha - becomes the leader of the iron islands. Forges a peace with the rest of westeros

Quentin - Marries Dany. It would be the next best plan for Doran.

Brienne - UnCat hangs her. We've been talking about this last word for 5 years for no reason.

Sandor- Kills UnGregor. then returns to the island and spends his days gardening and thinking about sansa.

Darkstar- Lives out his days saying awesomely corny lines and disfiguring young women.

The Others destroy Westeros. All your favorite characters die, except Bronn, who has his own adventures in the free cities but falls from King to mere sellsword again.

As above, except Bronn dies, too.

The series ends with the entire world overrun by the Others. All hope is lost.

The final paragraph on the last page of the last book is a single word:

The wall falls, or at least the NW loses control of it. Like somehow the spells that keep the others away are destroyed and they over run the place.

Jon is either king or some high lord by the end. I'm creeped out by the incest of Dany/Jon if they are related, so if he is a Targ i'd go with lord, if not than he'll be queen. I think Jon and Dany are the song of ice and fire Jon being ice and Dany of course being fire.

Littlefingers out littlefinger'd by Sansa. Probably ends up dying, being powerless.

Sansa ends up being lady of the Vale.

Bran, does something cool with his warging powers. I don't know where he'll end up but I geuss he could somehow transfer his soul into another person and "Walk" again.

Arya- I want to say that she will take what she learned from the Faceless men and apply it the battle with The Others. Hard to tell where she ends ups

Rickon- probably lord of Winterfell. Either all of the other heirs are dead or doing something else.

Cersei- Doesn't die but is left with nothing and is crazy

Jaime- Dies saving Dany from being killed.

Tyrion-I think he'll be the queens/kings hand

Dany- Queen, but is pretty busted up when it's all said and done.

Davos-He'll find out something bad about Stannis, but is caught and executed before it really gets out.

Stannis- Is being set up by Mel and dies.

Mel- Don't know.

Gregor- is alive but almost unrecognizable from all the expiraments done on him, dies in a fight with Sandor

Sandor-ends up being Sansa's knight.

Uncat- She'll end up joining the others. being pissed at westeros in general

Aaha, becomes lady of pyke, sails the world and stuff

Theon- kills the boltons.

General stuff

Stark Reunion

Wall never gets rebuilt because the Others are gone permanently, or are no longer seen as dangerous. Like in that they are actually not a threat at all, not just "We haven't seen them ina while, so they arn't going to hurt us"

As much as I hate to admit it...I kind of think the same thing. Two more books, probably huge ones will take a while to write. Man I hope he finishes it. On a happier note though, my horrible predictions

Jon - the wall falls, and Jon fights to destroy the others and save the kingdom. Then returns to the north to rebuild the wall and rule the NW.

Dany - Rules Westeros as a just queen and marrys someone, maybe Quentyn or willas.

Bran - Dies helping destroy the others after he learns how to use his warging powers to the fullest. Remembered in the history books.

Sansa - Kills littlefinger. Marries SweetRobin. Rules the Vale after he dies a young death.

Tyrion - Joins Dany. After they win the war he spends his time traveling from place to place asking about a woman named Tysha.

Davos - I dont really care

Theon - Kills Ramsey. Slightly redeems himself. Is killed by Asha

Cersei - Dies. Jaime yields while fighting for her life.

Jaime - Lives. Helps win the war. Wins back his honor. The new generation doesnt call him Kingslayer but some other awesome name.

Samwell - has to live. Becomes to maester at castle black

Arianne - becomes the Lady of Sunspear

Asha - becomes the leader of the iron islands. Forges a peace with the rest of westeros

Quentin - Marries Dany. It would be the next best plan for Doran.

Brienne - UnCat hangs her. We've been talking about this last word for 5 years for no reason.

Sandor- Kills UnGregor. then returns to the island and spends his days gardening and thinking about sansa.

Darkstar- Lives out his days saying awesomely corny lines and disfiguring young women.

X-post from R+L=J thread:

THere is a fairly logical "stereotypical happy end" outcome for the whole series, analogous (for the lack of better word) to the Lord Of the Rings. THe civil war will continue to the exhaustion of all combatting sides, while the Others' threat will become ever more present. The main surviviving characters have no other option than to put aside their differences ("the last alliance of man and elves marched againsg the armies of Mordor and on the slopes of Mount Doom they fought for freedom of Middle Earth"). SO Dany brings her three dragons in, Bran will fly one of them as he always was eager to fly, and Jon the other. AFter a major epic battle where a few disposable remaining heroes may heroically perish, the Others are destroyed. THe spring comes, and the Wall melts away as there is no need for it anymore. The remaining heroes happily intermarry (Dany marries Jon as he is free of the oath as there is no Wall anymore), to keep the line blood reasonably pure or something like that. THey jointly sit on the Iron Throne to a great benefit of anyone else. Additional details for the remaining heroes can be worked out, such as Tyrion becoming a Hand, Aria a High Septon, Jaime a generally great role model for younger generation, or something like that.

THis is somewhat of a farly tale. But let's look at the books in general. For instance in another thread on this board there is a long discussion about Lyanne affair and what were the motivations for the resulting conflict and getting people killed and war started, while the whole thing could have been simply a misunderstanding and lack of communication, etc. THis is quite true, and in a frame of what I oftren call "a French movie syndrome" the whole R+L affair could have been laughed off by all houses and ended in a very reasonable arrangment and certainly no war. But the books often emphasize dark tendencies of human nature of those in power, where arrogance and former grievances lead to revenge and the whole affair becoming blown out of proportion and spinning out of control with terrible repercussions for everybody.

My point is that GRRM uses these dark tendencies (and availavility of additional characters) to spice things up and turn the situaiton upside down contrary to what may appear to be logical.

In the R+L affair there very well may be some element that we do not know. For instance, who may reveal Jon's true identity and the R+L affair details? There may be some "secret testament" composed by somebody like Ned that will be suddenly found in book 7. THere of course is Howland who was the other survivor of the Tower of Joy battle and who saw the newborn Jon (but who may not be told the details of the R+L story). THere is also Varys simply by virtue of him being a head of secret police and essentially knowing everything that was said and done(however, to my surprise I have not seen any indication of Varys ever hinting that he knew Jon to be anyone else than Ned's bastard. But Varys may simply pretend ignorance as the knowledge of availability of "Long lost Last King of Gondor" is a very strong card in the "game of thrones").

X-post from R+L=J thread:

THere is a fairly logical "stereotypical happy end" outcome for the whole series, analogous (for the lack of better word) to the Lord Of the Rings. THe civil war will continue to the exhaustion of all combatting sides, while the Others' threat will become ever more present. The main surviviving characters have no other option than to put aside their differences ("the last alliance of man and elves marched againsg the armies of Mordor and on the slopes of Mount Doom they fought for freedom of Middle Earth"). SO Dany brings her three dragons in, Bran will fly one of them as he always was eager to fly, and Jon the other. AFter a major epic battle where a few disposable remaining heroes may heroically perish, the Others are destroyed. THe spring comes, and the Wall melts away as there is no need for it anymore. The remaining heroes happily intermarry (Dany marries Jon as he is free of the oath as there is no Wall anymore), to keep the line blood reasonably pure or something like that. THey jointly sit on the Iron Throne to a great benefit of anyone else. Additional details for the remaining heroes can be worked out, such as Tyrion becoming a Hand, Aria a High Septon, Jaime a generally great role model for younger generation, or something like that.

THis is somewhat of a farly tale. But let's look at the books in general. For instance in another thread on this board there is a long discussion about Lyanne affair and what were the motivations for the resulting conflict and getting people killed and war started, while the whole thing could have been simply a misunderstanding and lack of communication, etc. THis is quite true, and in a frame of what I oftren call "a French movie syndrome" the whole R+L affair could have been laughed off by all houses and ended in a very reasonable arrangment and certainly no war. But the books often emphasize dark tendencies of human nature of those in power, where arrogance and former grievances lead to revenge and the whole affair becoming blown out of proportion and spinning out of control with terrible repercussions for everybody.

My point is that GRRM uses these dark tendencies (and availavility of additional characters) to spice things up and turn the situaiton upside down contrary to what may appear to be logical.

In the R+L affair there very well may be some element that we do not know. For instance, who may reveal Jon's true identity and the R+L affair details? There may be some "secret testament" composed by somebody like Ned that will be suddenly found in book 7. THere of course is Howland who was the other survivor of the Tower of Joy battle and who saw the newborn Jon (but who may not be told the details of the R+L story). THere is also Varys simply by virtue of him being a head of secret police and essentially knowing everything that was said and done(however, to my surprise I have not seen any indication of Varys ever hinting that he knew Jon to be anyone else than Ned's bastard. But Varys may simply pretend ignorance as the knowledge of availability of "Long lost Last King of Gondor" is a very strong card in the "game of thrones").

Inspired by another book similar in style to ASoIaF (I won't say which as this will be a spoiler of sorts)- can't Varys just proclaim Jon as king or somebody else as Aegon etc even if they aren't as long as it is feasible and he can produce evidence for it. I know the subterfuge has already been done with fake Arya though

Inspired by another book similar in style to ASoIaF (I won't say which as this will be a spoiler of sorts)- can't Varys just proclaim Jon as king or somebody else as Aegon etc even if they aren't as long as it is feasible and he can produce evidence for it. I know the subterfuge has already been done with fake Arya though

It is a serious matter to put forward a "fake emperor", but that happened in the human history many times. In that case it will boil down to the effective power of empirial propaganda brainwashing the population in whatever they want them to believe, which again should not be too difficult. It makes for an strong poing, but probably not a very satisfying conclusion of the ~ 10000 pages series...

Almost every relevant character dies in the others vs. dragons war and Jaime Goldenhand the Just rules for fifty years, rebuilding Westeros and righting wrongs.

Honestly though, so far things have been moving to a Targaryen restoration. I just hope if that's indeed the case and in the end Jon and Dany do not end up ruling, Martin better come with a good reason. I half-expect Dany and Jon to outright say it would be too cliche for any of them to end up ruling despite nothing really keeping it from happening.

Almost every relevant character dies in the others vs. dragons war and Jaime Goldenhand the Just rules for fifty years, rebuilding Westeros and righting wrongs.

Honestly though, so far things have been moving to a Targaryen restoration. I just hope if that's indeed the case and in the end Jon and Dany do not end up ruling, Martin better come with a good reason. I half-expect Dany and Jon to outright say it would be too cliche for any of them to end up ruling despite nothing really keeping it from happening.

I was set up to believe that Ned Stark was the main character of the series...

Sadly, that was the only major "omg, wtf" suprise of the entire series. Everything else has suprised to a much lesser extent and based on that, it wouldnt be too far off to say that Dany or Jon are going to end up saving Westeros.

I personally would love to see the Other end the world as is known, but that is probably not going to happen. Truly Martin is an author whose conclusion we just cannot see coming.

So Tommen becomes Siegfried, huh? And maybe we could have Tyrion raise him in the woods, to one day steal back the Lannister gold? Which of Dany's dragons would he have to kill for it? Maybe he'll reforge the missing Lannister Valyrian blade (suppose, being serious for a moment, that Tyrion does find said sword on his eastern wanderings?)

the whole azor asshai prince that was promised is obviously daenarys. im thinking of the paralell of khal drogos funeral pyre hatching her dragons and lightbringer being stabbed through his wife's heart. maybe too obvious.

jons parentage was all but explicitly stated in agot. i hope grrm changes his mind because of the endless speculation.

also, what happens to the girls direwolves is representative of their relationship to the stark family. sansa had her association with the starks pretty much destroyed and arya is wayeward just like nymeria.

obviously the main characters are going to play major roles in the continuation of the plot.

briennes last word is arya obviously, she knows she went to the free cities. she will not be killed by stoneheart.

obviously gregor is going to be an undead monster -- read brans dream sequences in agot. also arya will probably be the one to dispatch him.

i hope nobody wargs into the dragons, that would be way stupid.

i want to see littlefinger on the iron throne for at least a little while. this guy is unstoppable, nobody plays the game like petyr.

daenarys is NOT going to get married in dwd

do we know for sure the white walkers arent the remnants of Valyria? we dont really know the geography.

the ironborn are important because of the horn that controls dragons. where the heck did they find that thing again? I dont care what anyone says the greyjoys are way cool and the kingsmoot scene was one of my favorites in the series.

whats up with the prologue for affc and what is the deal with this marwyn cuy? sam is obviously going to be a wizardly kinda guy.

and bran is obviously going to deal with some children of the forest. how can coldhands NOT be benjen?

just some random thoughts

Every time I find someone to root for in these books, they either die horribly or other assorted nastiness happens to them.

So here are my most skeptical picks:

Dany: Amasses a giant fleet and huge army, lands near Crackclaw point, claims the return of the Targaryen dynasty. Dies immediately due to a shellfish allergy.

Starks: All of them die horribly except for Jon. Winterfell paved over and becomes a parking lot for a new nearby summer home for the Lannisters.

Lannisters: Jaime tries to pledge eternal, mad love for Brienne, is rejected and kills himself. Cersei dies in the Septon’s jail off of a plate of boar that went bad. Dies enormously fat and unkempt. All the rest of the major Lannisters die except for…

Tyrion, who teams up with Jon who left the NW. They end up roaming the free cities together and solving crimes.

And in the pandemonium that results, the last part of the last book reveals a new king. The only one who could bring order to the insanity: Strong Belwas, first of his name, king of the Andals, and Rhoynar, and the first men.

Every time I find someone to root for in these books, they either die horribly or other assorted nastiness happens to them.

So here are my most skeptical picks:

Dany: Amasses a giant fleet and huge army, lands near Crackclaw point, claims the return of the Targaryen dynasty. Dies immediately due to a shellfish allergy.

Starks: All of them die horribly except for Jon. Winterfell paved over and becomes a parking lot for a new nearby summer home for the Lannisters.

Lannisters: Jaime tries to pledge eternal, mad love for Brienne, is rejected and kills himself. Cersei dies in the Septon’s jail off of a plate of boar that went bad. Dies enormously fat and unkempt. All the rest of the major Lannisters die except for…

Tyrion, who teams up with Jon who left the NW. They end up roaming the free cities together and solving crimes.

And in the pandemonium that results, the last part of the last book reveals a new king. The only one who could bring order to the insanity: Strong Belwas, first of his name, king of the Andals, and Rhoynar, and the first men.

:rofl:

I think I read somewhere that GRRM said his endings were always sad until he met Parris. However, going back to Dying of the Light and Sandkings. (read while you wait over the next 6 years) he's not big into clear cut "happy" endings.

I think he will dispose of minor characters in a final way, i.e. Sansa, queen of the Vale but I would not be surprised at all to see it end at

Jon faced the Others and fade....to....black........

and we scream!!

Jon: Legitimized as Jon Stark by Daenerys, ends up leading survivors southward to safety after the Wall falls, becoming a legend in the process (they'll call him the "Lord of Winter"). He ultimately ends up taking care of Rickon, and married to Margaery Tyrell (after having a fling with Daenerys). His true parentage (as the bastard son of Rhaegar Targaryen) will get widely known (in the same way that Orys Baratheon was suspected of being Aegon's bastard brother), and his children will be recognized by Daenerys as her heirs, but you know it's going to be disputed as soon as Daenerys dies.

Oh, and he'll have Stannis and Melisandre killed in the night.

Daenerys: Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, Last of Her Name. She'll have romantic relations with Jon Snow and Victarion Greyjoy, and will end up on the Throne of what is left of the Seven Kingdoms after the war. Unfortunately, she had no heirs other than the children of her bastard nephew, Jon Snow, which means the realm will likely either fragment or face another struggle for the Throne after she dies.

Bran: Bran will die, sacrificing himself like the Last Hero to set the seasons right and fix the world.

Arya: Arya will flame out of Faceless Men training, die in the war against the Others after killing somebody important.

Jaime: Will kill Cersei by strangling her before she goes on trial, but will die in battle with much of his army from Daenerys's dragons after she arrives in Westeros.

Cersei: Strangled by Jaime. Not before she finds out that Tommen and Myrcella have died.

Rickon: Ultimately found, raised as potential Lord of Winterfell by Jon.

Brienne: Ends up slaying an Other with her Valyrian Steel Sword, becomes the first woman on the Queensguard. The legends will call her "Brienne the Beauty", and claim she was the second most beautiful woman in Westeros.

Quentyn Martell: One of the Dragonriders.

Tyrion Lannister: The other Dragonrider, and future Lord of Casterly Rock.

Westeros: Will survive the Second Long Night, but lies in devastation and further turmoil from the new climate situation. Daenerys rules as the Queen of the united Seven Kingdoms, but it's temporary, and heavily implied that there will be further conflict and possibly dissolution of the unified kingdom after she dies without legitimate, direct-line issue.

I'm surprised how often people suggest a Jon + Dany happily ever after style ending. Is that why we read this series? I really hope it doesn't come to that.

What I'd like to see is Dany starting to show some signs of the traditional family madness. ADWD will be the first time that we see her from other people's point of view, with chapters from Quentyn, Victarion, Tyrion and Barristan, all of whom are converging on Meereen. I'd love it if she still seems perfectly sane from her own POV chapters, but shows a few signs of instability from the other POVs who interact with her.

Then, upon invading Westeros, she realises that she needs to defeat the Others and goes to help the Night's Watch, just like many have said. However, upon learning that R+L=J, she does not enter some sappy love story with Jon. Rather, she starts to see him as a threat, and they become reluctant allies while fighting the others, but really she'd rather see him dead. He's not all too happy to see her either. Just because he's part Targaryen doesn't mean that he's forgotten what they did to the Starks.

She takes the throne, having killed Jon off in the process. Jaime thinks "Oh no, here we go again..." and performs his second regicide. Somebody has often suggested on here that it would make a great ending to have Jaime lounging on the throne waiting to see who will come to claim it, and I agree. I think that's a great idea.

Who does claim the throne? Actually I'd quite like Stannis to succeed. It would be great if his never say die attitude actually pays off, and he manages to win the throne even after he blew his chance early on (of course Melisandre dies a horrible death along the way) Either that, or Tommen stays on the throne somehow, with successive groups of nobles installing themselves as his 'advisors'. But in reality, at the end, all power rests with the King's Hand, Lord Baelish, by far the most powerful man in the kingdoms.

With Dany dead (and therefore his protection gone) Tyrion is forced to flee again, because he's under sentence of death for killing Joffrey. Kevan was killed by whoever deposed his regime as Hand, so the Rock goes to Kevan's son Martyn.

The Dragons go wild, and songs are sung of the knights who hunted them down. It's not as impressive a feat as it sounds to later generations, because the dragons were still juvenile, and they had help from the maesters to remove these relics of magic from the world.

That's the sort of ending I'd like to see! I'm surprised how many people are looking forward to Littlefinger being killed off. I mean, he's a creep, incredibly slimy and only out for himself, but for some reason I can't help wanting him to succeed.

To go along with that, even though there are some sad endings there for the main characters, it could be balanced out with (relatively) happy endings for some of the ones that I didn't mention. I could easily see the series finishing with Sansa as Lady of the Vale (thought reluctantly having to put up with 'visits' from the Hand...) and one of the other surviving Starks rebuilding Winterfell. (Perhaps Brandon the re-Builder seems a little too obvious) It seems to me at this point that the entire reason for Rickon's existence is to have a male Stark capable of having children, and therefore pass on the Stark name.

Upon returning to Westeros, Arya makes it her mission to slaughter Freys, just like Stoneheart has been doing. Most of the rest of her list, including Cersei, have already been killed. She does a pretty good job of it, and ends up encountering the BWB, who end up killing her even though it was grief for her family that drove Cat mad in the first place. Realising that her people have ended up killing her daughter drives UnCat even more insane.

Just to frustrate everyone, whatever word Brienne screamed means that they cut her down long enough for her to explain herself, don't like what she has to say, and hang her again. (Actually if she's cut down and survives, my experience of characters with hanging scars around their necks is Sergeant Hakeswill in Sharpe. Perhaps she'll start to behave like him...)

Sam ends up completing his maester training and has an uneventful life looking after ravens and whoring, and manages to catch something embarrassing from one of his visits to Mole Town.

And finally, much like the story of LOTR was written down by Frodo in the Red Book, the story of ASOIAF is recorded by none other than Dolorous Edd, who decides that the real reason that Denys Mallister and Cotter Pyke hated each other was that they were actually lovers whose relationship was ruined by a tragic misunderstanding. He also beefs up his own role, so that future generations think that Eddison Tollett was a great hero. Hardly any of the Night's Watch survive, so nobody knows that actually he had nothing to do with it.

Yeah, I think my mind's a little twisted.

What I would like: Stannis becomes the King

What will happen: Jon will be the King

What I would like: Sansa is the younger, more beautiful Queen that will take away everything Cersei loves (Sansa becoming evil)

What will happen: Daenerys will do it.

Dany will bear another child, from Jon, but it will come down to a choice, a life for a life, and Dany will choose to forfeit her life for the child, Jon sits the Iron Throne and rules the 7 Kingdoms, the child is the closest to a pure blood Targaryen we'll get and the line of Dragon Kings will be restored.

I'm surprised how often people suggest a Jon + Dany happily ever after style ending. Is that why we read this series? I really hope it doesn't come to that.

Though on the other hand, the reason I keep championing "ultimate grimdark ending of grimdark darkness" endings is to poke fun at the people who seem to think the series should end as horribly and grimly as possible just because the road to the ending has been hard.

What, a long, hard road with lots of death and pain and struggle positively cannot end on a relatively high note? Only the cliche grimdark ending is allowed?

I'm hoping for a little more creativity out of Martin, to be honest.

Archived