Exercise & Fitness

Greywolf2375

ha, what are the chances. I actually just remembered seeing that topic recently on the barefoot forums and thought "oh that sounds perfect!" and I just glanced at the thread. Oh well, good luck finding some.

Mizuno Wave Universe 3, Asics Hyperspeed

Both are flats rather than barefoot simulators.

I'd like to kick Chris McDougall in the nuts (see link in last post in RW thread).

scene: my local McGym on a really busy weekday afternoon. There squat I, doing my reps, past parallel like a good boy should, when *riiiiiipppp*

*cue about twenty heads turning my direction*

yeah, I tore the seat of my shorts out. oops.

Mizuno Wave Universe 3, Asics Hyperspeed

Both are flats rather than barefoot simulators.

I've tried pretty much every variation of racing flat available in my local running stores, including Mizunos and Asics. None of them come wider than a D, whereas I need a 2E at the minimum.

I'd like to kick Chris McDougall in the nuts (see link in last post in RW thread).

Which link was that? I'd like to see what McDougall has done to earn such ire!

Nike Katana Racers are supposed to run wide.

But if none of the shoes you've tried work for you and if you're determined to run in minimalist shoes, you'll probably have to get them custom made. The alternative would be to continue running in the lightest NB shoe that comes in widths, and supplement that with a little actual barefoot running along a groomed field.

http://www.herseycustomshoe.com/running/hersey-custom-tr/prod_10.html

In the Runner's World thread, a few people talk about Huaraches from invisibleshoe.com. They've become popular among hippie fitness joggers recently because of a book that McDougall wrote called Born to Run about the Tarahumara.

It's full of noble savage mythos. The Tarahumara never get heart disease, diabetes, or Western diseases. They have no money except alcohol and helping each other out. They never have wars among themselves. They're incapable of lying. Woo woo.

The one thing that's come across in the book and in every running article about the Tarahumara is that they aren't begging to have a bunch of Americans come help them out. This "be like the Tarahumara" bullshit just feels totally artificial and self-congratulatory. I know that it's part of a bigger issue about whether indigenous cultures should be modernized - but the Tarahumara aren't ignorant of modernization or of Mexican culture. I hope that this shit doesn't lead to some kind of running tourism.

I don't have a problem with extreme minimalists. If running around without shoes makes someone happy, good for them. I think that lightweight, low-heeled shoes are good for most people. But I see a lot of smug disconnect with reality in those people who think that their Tarahumara sandals are setting them apart from the actual commercial American world that they live in. They leave their suburban house in their car and go to the track to pay for an organized race, but hey, their fucking sandals make them counter-culture.

I've read Born to Run. Very much enjoyed it myself but yes, I did note many similar concerns to the ones you raised. I thought the most interesting part was the chapter that gave the book its title, discussing the idea that humans are literally born to run; that we evolved to be natural long-distance runners.

I agree that the near-deification of the Tarahumara was somewhat troubling. It was fun to read about but I couldn't help but think that the situation had to be a lot more complicated than McDougall made it out to be. I'm also a little concerned about the possibility of "running tourism" is you put it. Funnily enough, this book wasn't my first exposure to the Tarahumara. They also featured in an episode of the BBC reality series Last Man Standing about four years back. It focused much more on the running and less on the supposedly idyllic culture.

I also agree that there appears to be what you called a "smug disconnect" prevalent in many people in the barefoot running movement. I think that people should run in whatever shoes they find the most comfortable. If that happens to be a pair of huaraches then that's cool, and if that happens to be a well-cushioned motion-controlled running shoe then that's cool too. The problem, as you note, is when people start trying to emulate the most superficial trappings of an entirely different culture for the sake of being "different."

As far as my own hunt for shoes, I'm slowly coming around to the idea of trying out a pair of Vibrams. I've never been a fan of how they look but if I can find something with a good fit and minimal padding I'm willing to ignore appearance.

As far as my own hunt for shoes, I'm slowly coming around to the idea of trying out a pair of Vibrams. I've never been a fan of how they look but if I can find something with a good fit and minimal padding I'm willing to ignore appearance.

I didn't know they were supposed to be wide.

I will never wear Vibrams because I hate having things between my toes. (Actually, I've heard that many people have trouble fitting their little toe in correctly). I don't have trouble with normal flats anyway.

Consider the possibility that any running accomplishments may be overshadowed by looking like this guy: http://dailybreeze.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=29511367&event=1004867&CategoryID=0

I didn't know they were supposed to be wide.

I will never wear Vibrams because I hate having things between my toes. (Actually, I've heard that many people have trouble fitting their little toe in correctly). I don't have trouble with normal flats anyway.

Not so much wide as stretchy. From what I've seen the flexible construction makes them better able to handle a wider variety of fits than standard shoes. I actually quite like toe separation so that's not a major worry for me. Like I said, my main concern was the appearance, which leads me on to...

Consider the possibility that any running accomplishments may be overshadowed by looking like this guy: http://dailybreeze.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=29511367&event=1004867&CategoryID=0

:stunned: Now that's a manly man right there. I have no particular problem with long sleeves, nor with shirtlessness. A combination of the two, on the other hand, seems less than optimal.

I have no particular problem with long sleeves, nor with shirtlessness. A combination of the two, on the other hand, seems less than optimal.

Evening out a farmers tan, I would guess.

I'm really hating running. Part of it is definitely just where I have to run: I doubt dodging cars going 55 mph, breathing in the exhaust, and jumping over roadkill is anyone's idea of a good time, but it's what I have available. I'm not a big fan of the stabbing pain in both sides of my ribcage and collar bone either. It's also just really boring. I can't listen to music or an audio book because of the traffic, but when even in the past when it's been an option it hasn't helped much. I run with my husband sometimes, but because he's 10 inches taller than me and has a proportionally longer stride, it's hard to talk much or feel too companionable.

I really want to like running. It's something I've always wanted to be able to do and enjoy, but I just am not having much luck. Are there any made runners out there? People who didn't like running at all at first, but found themselves enjoying it as time went on? What made the difference?

I'm really hating running. Part of it is definitely just where I have to run: I doubt dodging cars going 55 mph, breathing in the exhaust, and jumping over roadkill is anyone's idea of a good time, but it's what I have available. I'm not a big fan of the stabbing pain in both sides of my ribcage and collar bone either. It's also just really boring. I can't listen to music or an audio book because of the traffic, but when even in the past when it's been an option it hasn't helped much. I run with my husband sometimes, but because he's 10 inches taller than me and has a proportionally longer stride, it's hard to talk much or feel too companionable.

I really want to like running. It's something I've always wanted to be able to do and enjoy, but I just am not having much luck. Are there any made runners out there? People who didn't like running at all at first, but found themselves enjoying it as time went on? What made the difference?

What made me like it were the things you can't do -- music and audio books and a partner.

Maybe use a treadmill in a gym?

the only thing that's made me like running was HIIT on a treadmill, but I did it so often I hurt my knees. The only other time I liked it was when I worked up to running an hour without slowing down on a treadmill at about 6.5mph. I didn't think I'd make it at 40 minutes but once I got passed 45 it was like running downhill. however that's such a long time to waste on running I've never had any desire to run for a longer period.

What made me like it were the things you can't do -- music and audio books and a partner.

Maybe use a treadmill in a gym?

We're planning a cross country move at the end of the summer, after which my husband will be a grad student and I may or may not have a job lined up--hopefully I will, but I can't be sure. We've pretty eliminated all spending that isn't food and shelter for the time being. A gym and or new equipment aren't options. We're also debating keeping gymnastics in the budget ($5 a week each, often just me). It's part of the reason I want to like running--it's free, and not much else is.

I dislike treadmills or track running, but I love trail running. On a trail, the scenery changes and the terrain is varied so your mind is more engaged. Will there be trails near your near place?

this is just me, but I consider the $25 a month I spend on my gym membership as essential as food or electricity. It's two things- a silver bullet against latent mental illness, and also a preventative against diabetes and heart disease. Without it, I'd be on blood pressure meds right now.

It sounds like you're in a tough spot to try enjoying running. Running on highways without music and without a partner is a recipe to hate it. I would consider either finding a way to get to a gym, or holding off on it too seriously until you get to your new place and find a better environment to run in. Forcing it now could just make you hate it more and make you more resistant in the future.

Finished the half marathon: 1:47:48. I feel pretty good about the time, especially considering the illness of the past week. It was a small race, no more than 100 running the half course. I was the only white guy out there, it was kinda funny to see people double take when they saw me. I spent kms 10-13 playing cheerleader for other runners, because no one else was. First race I've been to with absolutely no crowd of well-wishers.

So, about six weeks to get ready for the next one. I think the heat will be very oppressive here by then, it was uncomfortably warm for the second half of today's race. But I have a good starting point, I think I have a real chance of hitting a PR in July.

@ Liffguard & Eponine: Do you really expect there to be a problem with this "running tourism?" Maybe the hipsters around me are just too lazy but I don't see that happening.

Man, I googled that Born to Run book, and now I have to find out who wins the race...

It's a damn good book, although I might just be saying that because I've found other running books to be trash. Running with the Buffaloes is an ok book about running too.

I hear you, running on a road surrounded by cars and their exhaust is just a shitty experience. As for the stabbing pains I'd say your cramping is either a result of your eating too soon before running or just being a bit out of running shape. Both are pretty easy to fix. I grew to like running a lot more recently since I started doing the whole minimalist running thing. I don't know why it just feels better. Maybe give that a try, and maybe find some grass.

I dislike treadmills or track running, but I love trail running. On a trail, the scenery changes and the terrain is varied so your mind is more engaged.

I'm the same. I've got to say, trails are one of the most underrated tools in a runner's arsenal. I never thought about it engaging my mind more, but you've got a good point there. You definitely have to pay attention more to where you are stepping, it's like it keeps you focused. A 5k on a trail and a 5k on a track are totally different. Even if I'm going slow on a trail I FEEL like I'm going fast. I think it's because on trails you need to take more steps, faster steps, to account for the changing terrain.

Finished the half marathon: 1:47:48. I feel pretty good about the time, especially considering the illness of the past week.

That is a damn impressive time/rate for such a long race, especially after a week of sickness AND after a too-short training period. Good job man, keep it up!

Archived