The Books We Are Expecting in 2011

Werthead

The one I am most looking forward to is probably Michelle West's House Name, which should come out in January. That's what it says on her site anyway. Other than that there are several in the OP list that I am interested in, Lynch's The Republic of Thieves probably heads that list.

Oooh, thanks for the heads up on House Name. I'll have to go put it on my wish list.

JANUARY

1) Brayan's Gold by Peter V Brett J

----

FEBRUARY

2) The Crippled God by Steven Erikson

3) The Heroes by Joe Abercombie

4) The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch

----

MARCH

5) The Wise Man's Fear by Pat Rothfuss

6) The Third Section by Jasper Kent

-----

APRIL

7) The White-Luck Warrior by R. Scott Bakker

8) The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham

9) Triumff: The Double Falsehood by Dan Abnett

-----

MAY

10) The Inheritance by Robin Hobb

-----

JUNE

11) Book of Transformations by Mark Charon Newton

------

AUGUST

12) Spellbound by Blake Charlton

-----

SEPTEMBER

13) The Edinburgh Dead by Brian Ruckley

-----

OCTOBER

14) The Cold Commands by Richard K Morgan

------

NOT SURE

15) The Coldest War by Ian Tregillis

16) The Kingdom of Gods by NK Jemisin

17) A Dance of Dragons by George RR Martin

18) Mistborn Novella by Brandon Sanderson

--------------

Garlan

NOT SURE

15) The Coldest War by Ian Tregillis

Coldest War has moved to November 2011. I'm interested in when the new Felix Gilman will be out, sequel to Half Made world.

You can scrap Republic of Thieves from your list btw, it doesn't seem to be coming out at that date.

Nick Harkaway's upcoming novel is listed as being set for publication in September 2011 on his agent's website. The title "Angelmaker" will apparently change before publication though.

ETA: Maybe I should add the blurb as well:

All Joe Spork wants to do is live quietly. He repairs clockwork and lives above his shop in a wet, unknown bit of London. The bills don’t always get paid and he’s single and in his mid thirties and he has no prospects of improving his lot, but at least he’s not trying to compete with the reputation of Mathew “Tommy Gun” Spork, his infamous criminal dad.

Edie Banister lives quietly and wishes she didn’t. She’s nearly ninety and remembers when she wasn’t. She used to be a spy, and now she’s… well… old. Worse yet, the things she fought to save don’t seem to exist anymore, and she’s beginning to wonder if they ever did.

When Joe repairs one particularly unusual clockwork mechanism, his quiet life is blown apart. Suddenly he’s getting visits from sinister cultists and even more sinister lawyers. One of his friends is murdered and it looks as if he may be in the frame. Oh, and in case that wasn’t enough, he seems to have switched on a 1950s doomsday machine - or is it something even more alarming?

Edie’s story and Joe’s have collided. From here on in, nothing will be the same - Joe’s world is now full of mad monks, psychopaths, villainous potentates, scientific geniuses, giant submarines, girls in pink leather engine driver’s couture, and threats to the future of conscious life in the universe - and if Joe’s going to fix it or even survive, he must show that he can be everything Mathew was, and much, much more.

Nick Harkaway's upcoming novel is listed as being set for publication in September 2011 on his agent's website. The title "Angelmaker" will apparently change before publication though.

ETA: Maybe I should add the blurb as well:

... JOE SPORK! :D I loved the Crazy Joe Spork bit from The Gone-Away World. Fanboy mind whirling with speculation.

Last night I finished Veteran by Gavin Smith. This debut novel is marketed as a "gritty" scifi in the same vein as Altered Carbon and I can certainly see the similarities. Veteran isn't quite as well written and has a fairly predictable plot, but it's a pretty entertaining read. It also has a wider scope than Morgan's book and the grittiness doesn't seem as forced. All in all, I'm looking forward to more books by this author.

Up next is The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder.

Yeah. i'm almost finished it and it is more like altered Carbon than any of Morgan's none Kovacs novels, IMO. In places it's too similar but it's a fun read and there's enough different ideas in there to stop it being derivative. It does drag a bit in some of the arguments though and i've only just escaped the 30 page discussion following

the unleashing of god on the internet

I checked the authors website and there's no indication of a new book out from him in 2011, which strikes me as odd for a new author (especially if it wasn't a mega-sales hit).

I checked the authors website and there's no indication of a new book out from him in 2011, which strikes me as odd for a new author (especially if it wasn't a mega-sales hit).

Yeah, that spoiler bit was pretty long, but I have to admit it was an interesting discussion. I hope there are more books with the way Veteran ends.

Gavin Smith's War in Heaven, a sequel to Veteran, will be published in July 2011.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Heaven-Gavin-G-Smith/dp/0575094710/ref=ed_oe_p

I was pretty unimpressed with Veteran; I thought the grittiness felt contrived, and there was not near enough story to justify the length of the novel. In fact, my disappointment in this book is why I want so badly to read KOP Killer.

I was pretty unimpressed with Veteran; I thought the grittiness felt contrived, and there was not near enough story to justify the length of the novel. In fact, my disappointment in this book is why I want so badly to read KOP Killer.

Thanks for the link, guess there will be a sequel afterall.

Altered Carbon felt contrived to me, but then I'm in the minority on Richard Morgan.

You're right though that it wasn't as good as the Kop books. It sucks that Kop Killer is apparently not coming out next year.

Thanks for the link!

Archived