MLB 2010, Part II

Lightning Lord

You know I'm just talking shit.

I was kinda holding out hope that the Cardinals could get Haren (who never should have left St. Louis! Damn you Billy Bean) if we didn't get Oswalt. I don't know enough about what Arizona got in return, but sounds like the Angels should be pretty pleased.

I told y'all to watch out for John Jay.

I notice you forgot to suck it.

No worries. You're not a Trolley Dodger after all.

Dan Haren traded to the Angels for Joe Saunders, Rafael Rodriguez, Patrick Corbin and a player to be named later.

Wow. That is an awful return for Haren. What the hell was Arizona thinking?

Yeah man, I don't know. People seem to think a lot of Saunders because he had a really good year, I just don't think he has legit stuff to be more than a fringe middle of the rotation starter. It does not really make sense, Haren was going to pretty much earn the money coming to him, which is a decent amount. I mean Roy Oswalt is, more likely than not, *not* going to earn his salary in 2012 if that option has to be picked up, yet he'll probably go for more.

I feel bad for David DeJesus and the Royals. This was a chance for them to get something decent for him and for him, who has always been just a solid player year in and year out, and he gets injured for the season.

People around Boston are clamoring for a deal to be made...I just don't see it happening nor do I want it to. Relievers are so fickle and cost way more, generally, than they should. The team needs offense and it will be getting offense back when Pedey, VMart, etc. come back. Hope it won't be too little too late.

Also, I am very dismayed to hear that Jon Miller was awarded for...anything. What are bloated bag of fucking hot air. Why get rewarded for making Sunday nights a miserable night of baseball to listen to? Is it an award for butchering Hispanic names? Maybe it is for being able to keep from strangling Joe Morgan when he says something stupid (aka makes noises come out of his mouth). God I hate them all.

Also, I am very dismayed to hear that Jon Miller was awarded for...anything. What are bloated bag of fucking hot air. Why get rewarded for making Sunday nights a miserable night of baseball to listen to? Is it an award for butchering Hispanic names? Maybe it is for being able to keep from strangling Joe Morgan when he says something stupid (aka makes noises come out of his mouth). God I hate them all.

Don't hold the man's ESPN body of work against him. He was born to do baseball on the radio. I have never met any O's or Giants fans with bad things to say about Jon Miller.

I forgot to hate you this week. Thank you for reminding me.

For the rest of the world that dont give a shit about Jon Miller's local radio gigs, Jon Miller is a laughably terrible Tplay by play man for the most visible baseball game of the week. Joe Morgan is the worst human. Jon Miller spends 9 innings clumsily attempting to overpronounce hispanic names and lobbing softballs to Joe Morgan. If Miller were some awesome broadcaster like SFG fans would have you believe he would know how infuriating Morgan is to literally every single fan of the game. Every single person hates Joe Morgan, and yet Miller continues to play the foil to Morgans straight man or whatever the fuck it is they are doing. Miller is an enabler. If Miller was half as good as a normal bad play by play guy then he would constantly be shutting morgan down.

I forgot to hate you this week. Thank you for reminding me.

You can't tell me you enjoy listening to him on Sunday nights. I don't know anybody that likes baseball and likes him on Sunday night. Maybe it is the Joe Morganisms that just bring it all down, but, man, he's pretty bad too. The yellow shirt with a white collar and yellow tie is just fucking hilariously terrible.

eta- Caliban is on my side here, which means I know I'm right. Screw you guys. :)

Caliban, if you were getting paid however much ESPN pays Jon Miller, you would put up with Joe Morgan too. I guarantee that you would. I feel pretty safe in saying that the only people you wouldn't put up with for the sake of an ESPN paycheck are anybody associated with the Cardinals organization and probably also like, Ozzie, and AJ Douchinski.

Caliban, if you were getting paid however much ESPN pays Jon Miller, you would put up with Joe Morgan too. I guarantee that you would. I feel pretty safe in saying that the only people you wouldn't put up with for the sake of an ESPN paycheck are anybody associated with the Cardinals organization and probably also like, Ozzie, and AJ Douchinski.

He doesnt need to facilitate Morgan running absolutely wild up there. What makes Morgan so bad is that he is fucking despicable and also has complete carte blanche use of the airwaves. Miller is the enabler. He actually enhances Morgans terribleness.

Its not about the money, he can hold that job, make the money and not suck ass at the job all at the same time.

It's not that Giants fans are deluded. We KNOW he's annoying on ESPN. ESPN. Let me repeat that. ESPfuckingN. The Fox News of Sport.

But fuck you loser's. We get him on local broadcast 5 days a week. And he's fucking brilliant.

He's a Giant fan, a baseball fan, and a funny motherfucker. I'm sorry the rest of you don't get to experience this. But too bad. We do; you don't.

And Cal, if you want to compare ANYONE to Santos, go fuck yourself to death.

It's not that Giants fans are deluded. We KNOW he's annoying on ESPN. ESPN. Let me repeat that. ESPfuckingN. The Fox News of Sport.

But fuck you loser's. We get him on local broadcast 5 days a week. And he's fucking brilliant.

He's a Giant fan, a baseball fan, and a funny motherfucker. I'm sorry the rest of you don't get to experience this. But too bad. We do; you don't.

And Cal, if you want to compare ANYONE to Santos, go fuck yourself to death.

Oh my mistake, I should have known that he was good (I still find that suspect) doing games that I have no way of seeing/hearing where I live. I'm a fucking asshole for hating him for being terrible in every game I've had the misfortune of hearing him call. Shame on me.

I don't understand how none of his personality or humor comes through in ESPN broadcasts. I mean, it is the exact same job he is doing. Not like a Kornheiser situation where he just can't work in a booth, yet he is gold on PTI. It is the same job. One he is good, one he is a total douchebag. Makes no sense.

His name is Ron Santo, dumbass.

Is it? Wow. That totally makes him suck so much less ass! He's far less ridiculous! My bad.

Oh my mistake, I should have known that he was good (I still find that suspect) doing games that I have no way of seeing/hearing where I live.

Like I said. Too bad.

I'm a fucking asshole

Well, that's your opinion. I guess it's legitimate.

I don't understand how none of his personality or humor comes through in ESPN broadcasts. I mean, it is the exact same job he is doing.

Allow me to explain the rocket surgery here: Giants fan cannot be Giants fan on ESPN.

So it is solely his Giants fandom that comprises his redeeming qualities?

No. But you are correct that you cannot know based on Sunday Night Baseball. The difference is that you see "douche" while I see "tragically restrained by a national broadcast and and a dipshit partner."

ETA: Epic

Not to jump into the middle of a flame war or anything, but FWIW, I really do think Miller basically has to be a totally different announcer when he's in the booth with Morgan. Really made me realize how much a bad color commentator can take over the game. Part of it too is that I think Miller feels a bit more free to be his goofy self when he's doing Giants broadcasts than he does when he's doing National stuff for ESPN. Anyway, in my lifetime, I've lived in markets with some truly outstanding broadcasters (Vin Scully, Jack Buck) and from my perspective, Miller is right up there with the best of them.

I just wish they'd let him do his "profane Vin Scully" impression on the air :P

Don't hold the man's ESPN body of work against him. He was born to do baseball on the radio. I have never met any O's or Giants fans with bad things to say about Jon Miller.

For the rest of the world that dont give a shit about Jon Miller's local radio gigs, Jon Miller is a laughably terrible Tplay by play man for the most visible baseball game of the week. Joe Morgan is the worst human. Jon Miller spends 9 innings clumsily attempting to overpronounce hispanic names and lobbing softballs to Joe Morgan. If Miller were some awesome broadcaster like SFG fans would have you believe he would know how infuriating Morgan is to literally every single fan of the game. Every single person hates Joe Morgan, and yet Miller continues to play the foil to Morgans straight man or whatever the fuck it is they are doing. Miller is an enabler. If Miller was half as good as a normal bad play by play guy then he would constantly be shutting morgan down.

No. But you are correct that you cannot know based on Sunday Night Baseball. The difference is that you see "douche" while I see "tragically restrained by a national broadcast and and a dipshit partner."

ETA: Epic

Man, last night's broadcast only highlighted how awful Miller and Morgan are as a team. And despite Bobby Valentine doing his best to schill for the Cubs manager position throughout the entire game, it was actually pleasant to listen to that trio call what was actually a pretty good game, despite the outcome...

And I'm sorry, don't give me the "restrained by the national broadcast"...he's now a HoF broadcaster for better or worse, which menas he should be able to dominate that booth and keep a dipshit like Morgan in line. The fact that he can't or won't has to cast a shadow on his induction...and despite the fact that I can still the broadcast, I have to point no further than my own team's radio broadcast to showcase a true professional play-by-play man in Pat Hughes who's shackled to a partner who, despite the best of his intentions, drags the broadcast down. This has only been enhanced by Santo's reduced travel and subsequent partnering of Hughes with Dave Otto or Keith Moreland...I love Ron Santo for who he represents among Cubs fans, but I'm not going to be sorry when he finally hangs the microphone up...

I don't care much for Jon Miller, but he's a joy to listen to compared to Joe Morgan. I actually hate whenever the White Sox have to do a nationally televised game. I know Hawk gets a lot of flack from people, but part of the joy of watching baseball on TV is to watch it with a fellow fan. Homerism doesn't bother me at all when it's the broadcaster's home team - it would be a different matter on ESPN or Fox games. Plus Steve Stone balances it out, while still providing solid analysis. I always appreciated the Chip Carey/Steve Stone combo, so I was glad that the Cubs treated Stone like crap. He's a definite asset in the booth.

While I like DJ and Ed Farmer on the radio, I do miss John Rooney and Farmer - I thought those two were the best radio combo I'd experienced. St. Louis is lucky to have him.

But yeah, Santo is just god-awful. Just awful.

Archived