MLB 2010, Part II

Lightning Lord

DJ's an interesting case in terms of turning this whole discussion on it's ear...back when he was on Sox television with Hawk he always seemed so clueless or scarred or something...then he'd go and do a weekend game for Fox and suddenly you'd realize he knew something more about baseball then he got credit for, it was Hawk that was keeping him down (whether that was intentional or not, I won't speculate).

Matt Garza throws the 5th (6th) no-hitter of the 2010 season...

Only slightly less important on this date is Ryan Theriot ending the longest active homerless drought in the majors in his 700th at bat since he last homered... :P

...and former Twin Matt Garza chucks a no-no with only one walk. Good on him.

At least Delmon Young is playing well now, we didn't get completely screwed in that deal.

I think in the long run, you'll be much happier with Young. He's now starting to play to his potential, is only 24 and has far more talent/upside than Garza. Yes, Garza threw a no-hitter but he has been maddeningly inconsistent this year. Even Dallas Braden threw a perfect game.

I think in the long run, you'll be much happier with Young. He's now starting to play to his potential, is only 24 and has far more talent/upside than Garza. Yes, Garza threw a no-hitter but he has been maddeningly inconsistent this year. Even Dallas Braden threw a perfect game.

Oh, I know all about his inconsistency. He's on my fantasy team and he makes me crazy.

DJ's an interesting case in terms of turning this whole discussion on it's ear...back when he was on Sox television with Hawk he always seemed so clueless or scarred or something...then he'd go and do a weekend game for Fox and suddenly you'd realize he knew something more about baseball then he got credit for, it was Hawk that was keeping him down (whether that was intentional or not, I won't speculate).

I didn't like DJ the first couple of years he was in the booth, in part because I LOVED Tom Paciorak and I resented that they got rid of him (the rumor being that Hawk didn't like him, but he talks highly of him otherwise so I don't know if there's truth to that). But DJ grew on me the last few years he did the tv broadcasts. That being said, I think he's better on the radio, and I think the tv broadcasts are better with Stone to balance out Hawk. I think it can really matter who you are partnered with, which may be why Jon Miller isn't all that impressive with the atrocity that is Joe Morgan.

This may explain why I can't Danny Mac - I think the combo of he and Spiegel allows him to just talk about his grilling or his car or whatever all day long, whereas with a more dominate partner he may be less of a fuckhead. I also don't dislike Spiegel as much when he's paired with Laurence Holmes. But that's another thread :)

Danny mac is much less of a shithead back with the score then he was with yurko and harry.

Gotta fucking score and win this game. Mets hammering the Cards opens things up a little with a win. Gotta convince ricketts not to deal Lilly and try to make a run at this. Id rather have the compensation picks then whatever trash we'd end up getting for him. Or just keep him and resign his ass. Almost every player likes to stay with the cubs.

How bout them White Sox. Another win. Kenny says no to Beckham for Dunn straight up. For people not around chicago, I cannot understate to you how much white sox fans and organization people obsess over Goo Beckham. I do the deal if im kenny though. Beckham hasnt really shown he can consistantly hit and although i do think he will be a good 2nd basemen, I take dunn for the 2010 run and then hope he loves being a sock and sign his ass after the year.

Dunn is so much added production over Mark Kotsay and Andruw jones its not even funny.

Oswalt is going to go to the Phillies for J.A. Happ and a couple of other prospects.

I didn't think that he was too likely to go to St. Louis, but I wish he hadn't gone to the Phillies. Assuming that they can get back into the playoffs they could be very tough. Halladay, Hamels, and Oswalt at the top of the order is fucking frightening potential.

Plus he's too chicken to go to the AL. Not that I blame him. But yeah, that's a formidable staff right there.

White Sox traded Daniel Hudson and another prospect for Edwin Jackson. Awful move for the Sox. I really like Hudson, and he's cheap and under team control for the next 6 years. Jackson isn't very good, and will cost a lot more. Don't really feel that he's even much of an upgrade over Hudson this year.

Word is that they might ship Jackson back out in another trade, which could turn this move into a positive. But until that happens, I think its a mistake.

A story that only happen in Philadelphia:

A 21-year-old man who intentionally vomited on a spectator and his 11-year-old daughter at a Philadelphia Phillies game was sentenced Friday to up to three months in jail and community service, which the judge suggested be fulfilled by cleaning ballpark toilets and trash.

Clemmens and his friend were cursing and heckling the Vangelo family from the first inning. Vangelo's 15-year-old daughter asked them to stop the profanity around her younger sister, prompting more heckling and cursing. The family was doused with beer when they rose to cheer a Phillies home run, and Vangelo eventually complained to security that Clemmens' friend was spitting, which hit his younger daughter's jacket and seat.

Stay Classy, Philly.

Jaime, have you ever gone to a game in Philly? If so you would realize not all the fans are morons like this fella, the media takes every little thing and blows it up. This one is not one of those and, this guy is not liked by the media or anyone else around here.

Archived