MLB 2010, Part II

Lightning Lord

Didn't home field advantage for the World Series used to simply alternate between AL and NL? I think awarding it to the team with the better overall record would be an improvement over both the former and current methods.

This is correct, it simply alternated each year.

Also, I have to say that Youkilis has no advantage over Konerko statistics wise - in fact they have identical averages, nearly identical RBI's, but PK (at least as of earlier today) has 3 more home runs. He flat out carried the White Sox the first two months of the year. I'm sure Youkilis and Swisher will have a greater chance of being named the last man in simply because of the Red Sox/Yankees fan base, but Konerko is just as deserving as those guys, if not slightly more so.

Be that as it may, I don't watch much of the All-Star game any more, but I am glad for the players that get chosen and sad for those that don't. I tune it in occasionally, but I just can't get into it the last two or three years. Maybe some of the horrible player choices have something to do with it. It's an absolutely excruciating week of no baseball for me though - and sports talk radio is D E A D. I hate it! I should leave the country for a few days.

This is correct, it simply alternated each year.

Also, I have to say that Youkilis has no advantage over Konerko statistics wise - in fact they have identical averages, nearly identical RBI's, but PK (at least as of earlier today) has 3 more home runs. He flat out carried the White Sox the first two months of the year. I'm sure Youkilis and Swisher will have a greater chance of being named the last man in simply because of the Red Sox/Yankees fan base, but Konerko is just as deserving as those guys, if not slightly more so.

Youkilis has a much higher OBP, OPS at 1.000, and plays gold glove defense. I really like Konerko and I am glad to see him rebound after a couple down years, but he is not as valuable a player as Youkilis.

Youkilis has a much higher OBP, OPS at 1.000, and plays gold glove defense. I really like Konerko and I am glad to see him rebound after a couple down years, but he is not as valuable a player as Youkilis.

Wow. I think I'd rather have Konerko on my team. I think his defense is way to underrated and I'd take him over Youklis six days out of seven.

Who was I listening to who stated that, if the All Star Game is going to "matter", then the only way the team should be selected is to allow the manager for each league to pick a 25 man roster and play the game. That way, they're going to take the guys who aren't just a reputation or a hot three week stretch, but might be valuable later on in the game...

Oh, and what's up with the fans of the AL getting to pick a DH candidate on the ballot? Either allow NL fans to write in candidates during AL stadium years or eliminate the DH from the ballot. It's a subjective position on half the teams anyway...

Wow. I think I'd rather have Konerko on my team. I think his defense is way to underrated and I'd take him over Youklis six days out of seven.

I wouldn't. Youklis is about as consistent as they come.

Youk over Konerko and thats not close at all.

But Konerko will get the last spot. "VOTE PAULYWOOD" is this year's stupid white sox vote drive in the proud tradition of "Punch AJ" and "Vote for Scott" and whatever that Dye one was officially called. A weell organized fan drive to vote in an undeserving all star isnt a tradition, Its a White Sox Tradition.

Konerko is way underrated defensively, and in fact has a slightly higher fielding percentage. Youkilis does tend to walk more - but that may have been a case of Konerko having NO one behind him hitting anything for months (as mentioned, without him and Alex Rios the White Sox probably would have been chasing the Orioles in the overall standings). Plus, his power numbers are slightly better. You can't go wrong with either guy, but to say that one is absolutely a better choice over the other may be doing a disservice to the other.

Youk over Konerko and thats not close at all.

But Konerko will get the last spot. "VOTE PAULYWOOD" is this year's stupid white sox vote drive in the proud tradition of "Punch AJ" and "Vote for Scott" and whatever that Dye one was officially called. A weell organized fan drive to vote in an undeserving all star isnt a tradition, Its a White Sox Tradition.

Undeserving? Please. Just because he is a White Sox player does not make him undeserving. Every one of the guys on the last man ballot deserves to be on it, and a part of the All-Star game - more so than some of the players that are on the roster.

I don't think they are pushing the Paulywood thing that hard this year - at least not as vigorously as years past. I like their efforts, why not have fun with it? Also, I believe Swisher is leading the vote.

Plus, his power numbers are slightly better. You can't go wrong with either guy, but to say that one is absolutely a better choice over the other may be doing a disservice to the other.

Youkilis is on 3% base more often and slugging 20 points higher than Konerko. Just the counting number of homers is higher for Konerko. I do really like Konerko, Youkilis is just a better, more complete player.

I'm fine calling fielding a wash (even if I don't actually think it is) because gold gloves and fielding percentage are rubbish and I'm not sure that UZR is fully reliable yet.

The Cardinals gave up a 9-3 lead to lose at Colorado 12-9 on a 3-run walk-off. Our bullpen sucks elephant balls, and Ryan Franklin's All-Star appearance last year was an absolute fluke.

Other than last night, Franklin has been solid this year.

His ERA is 3.74 which isn't too hot for a closer. I just don't have a ton of faith in the guy.

NL All-Star* and the guy who has saved 2/3rds of all Nats wins this season, Matt Capps, is available.

*Zimmerman should've gotten the nod over Capps.

His ERA is 3.74 which isn't too hot for a closer. I just don't have a ton of faith in the guy.

Yes and before last night, he had a 2.16 ERA which is pretty hot for a closer. He's been pretty lights out all year except for last night.

Votto and Swisher voted in. I am fucking disgusted. I'd say I won't watch the game because I don't think the teams are legit...but that breaking point came long ago (read: years). Still not going to.

I was fairly confident that Swisher would get it. He's a popular, likable guy on the most popular team - and his stats are pretty solid.

Regardless of Konerko not getting in, I'm absolutely stoked at how the season is progressing. First four game sweep of the Angels in 27 years. Holding them to 5 runs - 3 earned, in 4 games. Peavy going down sucks, but fortunately Hudson looks like he is ready anyway. Still one of the better rotations in baseball, given how they are performing right now.

I was fairly confident that Swisher would get it. He's a popular, likable guy on the most popular team - and his stats are pretty solid.

Regardless of Konerko not getting in, I'm absolutely stoked at how the season is progressing. First four game sweep of the Angels in 27 years. Holding them to 5 runs - 3 earned, in 4 games. Peavy going down sucks, but fortunately Hudson looks like he is ready anyway. Still one of the better rotations in baseball, given how they are performing right now.

Holy crap, there's a White Sox fan on the board again!?

Archived