MLB 2010, Part II

Lightning Lord

He reminds me of Jesus, but cooler. Like if Jesus and Nolan Ryan had a love child, and then that love child had a love child with Gandhi, and then the resulting double love child was raised from birth by the spirit of Cy Young in a monastery at the top of Mount Everest.

This is what they're talking about. But it's not what ruined Mark Prior's career. Mark Prior being a whiny baby is what ruined Mark Prior's career.

I like these posts a lot more than the gushing. It was a great start. 7 innings pitched does not a hall of fame career make.

Thats not accurate.

Is so.

I like these posts a lot more than the gushing. It was a great start. 7 innings pitched does not a hall of fame career make.

Exactly. Strasburg pitched a gem, no doubt about it. His line: 7 IP 4 H 2 ER. Nice. But let's get a little perspective; Hiroki Kuroda's line from the very same night: 7 IP 4 H 0 ER. Chris Carpenter's line from the very same night: 7 IP 6 H 0 ER. Kevin Slowey's line from the very same night: 7 IP 3 H 0 ER. I'm not trying to take anything away from the kid, again he pitched a real gem. His fastball was A+, and his curve was just disgusting. But I'm getting real tired of so many baseball people saying or implying it was one of the greatest pitching performances they've ever seen. Adam Dunn even went so far as to say it was THE greatest pitching performance he's ever seen. Shut the fuck up Adam Dunn. Shut the fuck up Tim Kurkjian. Have these people forgotten that we've had 4* no-hitters, 3* of which were perfect games, this year alone? Everybody just needs to tone down on the hyperbole, and judge Strasburg on his actual merits.

*I think we all know what the * means.

ETA: Oh yeah, and let's not forget he was facing the PIRATES, last in the MLB in both Avg. and Runs Scored, second to last in the MLB in both Hits and OBP.

Fangraphs had an amusing post on it. (well the comments were more amusing) Some idiots on ESPN Radio (apparently Brian Kinney and someone) were talking about what people would need to trade to get Strausburg. The two deals that came up were Longoria/Price/Garza straight up for him. Or Pujols and Wainwright.

That anyone can take the above shit seriously is hilarious. I'd take Evan straight up for Strausburg. Pujols too. Stupid gushing baseball people with little sense.

I would say that at least we have the Astros and Brewers up on deck to give us some momentum... but really, I don't even trust this club to beat those teams.

And I was right not to trust the team, since they lost both series. Bunch of freaking bums.

In non-Strasburg related news, it seems that one of the McCourts (each is blaming the other) may have hired a Russian physicist/mystic to "think good thoughts from long distances on behalf of the Dodgers". His name is Vladimir Shpunt, and apparently he's been on the payroll for years. Well if we had to hire a mystic at least we ponied up the cash for an honest-to-god Russian mystic.

MLB n00b here - I just watched my first game a few weeks ago and have quickly become a fan. We don't get much exposure to the game here in Australia, but being a long-time cricket fan it was really only a matter of time before I sat down to watch a baseball game. Haven't really picked a team to support yet but I'm thinking Rays since they have a pretty good Aussie relief pitcher on their books.

FWIW, I agree with Myshkin and others about Strasburg's debut. He pitched a great game and looks an amazing prospect, but I've seen better pitching performances than that against far better offensive line-ups than the Pirates and I've only been watching for a few weeks :P.

The Pirates sucking is a timeless reality.

St. Louis is going to pick up Jeff Suppan who left St. Louis for a contract in Milwaukee that he never should have received. I like it. I would bet a lot of money he'll pitch better for us than he did for them. Suck it Brewers.

There is no way he could possible pitch worse for you guys than he did for us....and he will do it collecting 12 mil from the Brewers.

On the other hand I can't wait for the first time he comes out to pitch at Miller Park....

Damn you, Juan Pierre! You never hit the ball at Wrigley when you were wearing Cubbie Blue, but tonight you have to get a single to break up Teddy Ballgame's No No. You suck. :P

Teddy Ballgame? Really?

Ted Williams head is rolling over in its freezer right now.

Archived