Westeros Blog: New Still of Sean Bean as Ned

I think for reasons of efficiency, they skipped snow for the execution scene. We do know that Julia Frey (visual producer) was helping to spray snow at one of the shooting locations (not Tollymore -- I think one of the building complexes used for Winterfell).

Isn't Ice supposed to have a black blade, being made of Valyrian Steel and all?

Yes, the blade should be dark:

Lord Eddard Stark dismounted and his ward Theon Greyjoy brought forth the sword. "Ice," that sword was called. It was as wide across as a man's hand, and taller even than Robb. The blade was Valyrian steel, spell-forged and dark as smoke. Nothing held an edge like Valyrian steel.

More of a smoke-grey than a black. But obviously, there's only so much you can do to steel to give it the right look. You can see that they did do .. something to give a damascus-stel sort of look, for the ripples of Valyrian steel.

I love how legitimate a weapon it seems to be, and the fact that Ned has an arming sword on his hip.

More of a smoke-grey than a black. But obviously, there's only so much you can do to steel to give it the right look. You can see that they did do .. something to give a damascus-stel sort of look, for the ripples of Valyrian steel.

It might be a real pattern welded blade they had made special as a prop. I've seen some gorgeous (and very expensive) pattern welded knives in stores and there are sword makers out there doing very fine, true pattern welded swords, too. You can even choose from certain specific patterns - the best of them can create a large variety of patterns, based on how they fold the steel.

Also, check out the stills from the trailer of Ned pulling the sword from its scabbard...the scabbard is made from a wolf's head and he's drawing the sword from its mouth! It's so cool!

I love how legitimate a weapon it seems to be, and the fact that Ned has an arming sword on his hip.

I noticed the pommel of both blades have similar styles - I wonder if that's Mikken's personal, no nonsense style - or possibly that of some prior smith for House Stark. I'm sure the pommel of Ice has been rebuilt many times over the millennia.

Is... is that a dead wolverine he has draped around his shoulders?

Looks like a wolverines pelt to me. Has that pattern. Could also be a badger. They are in the same family. I was just happy enough to see fur rapped around his shoulder or on his clothes in some way. Didn't really expect a wolf pelt. But that would have been cool.

So...I guess its pratical to wear a leather jerkin over ,what looks to be, a leather surcoat?

I'm still trying to figure out what the purpose of the two leather straps crossing his chest are for? I taking a guess as its holding his cloak over his shoulders?

I'm still trying to figure out what the purpose of the two leather straps crossing his chest are for? I taking a guess as its holding his cloak over his shoulders?

Maybe they're for a scabbard for Ice on his back? Couldn't carry Ice at the hip.

Maybe they're for a scabbard for Ice on his back? Couldn't carry Ice at the hip.

Yes, but why crossed across the shoulder if it was to hold up a great sword. They are damn long, normally as tall as a average man. And to have one supported on your back vertically instead of diagonally might be difficult.

There is also the fact that Theon handed him the sword.

From the placement, I'm pretty sure you're right, they're holding the cloak on. That cloak looks incredibly heavy.

Archived