Dog Appreciation Thread

Seventh Pup

So I started a thread a few months ago indicating that I was looking for a dog to live with my boyfriend and me in our apartment. I expected to find a medium sized dog, if I was lucky enough to find a quiet beagle, or puggle was what I was expecting. Instead I found a Bear, and proptly fell in love. More over he's actually ideal for my apartment despite being only 2 years 10 months old and 84lb (we want him to loose 4 more pounds). When he was surrender to the Humane Society they had to do surgery on both of his back knees. He developed arthritis in his right knee. To sum up his energy level is pretty low, but he does love to go on several walks a day. In fact saying the word "walk" gets him on his feet tail waging.

He adores sleeping, and being near his people. Because my boyfriend and I have opposing schedules someone is almost always home with him. He loves to ride in cars, loves to walk, and is completely house trained, only barks when someone opens the door. I can't imagine this dog being any easier! He's a perfect first dog, and just a perfect dog in general. We LOVE him so much.

He came with the name Bear, and my boyfriend and I did not change it fast enough. By the second day it had stuck, he was Bear. (I wanted to name him Ludo, by boyfriend didn't like it. :( ) But now I love the name, and just love him so much. So everyone meet my Bear, my wonderful huggable, big love of a dog.

Edit:

Link Link Link Two Favorite Guys Ever Link

Edit:

Changed name of thread. Dogs are awesome and this thread should be about them all!

Yay! Always nice to hear.

What type of breed is he or is he a mutt?

He's German Sheppard Mix. To me he looks like he has some lab in him, and his foster mom thought he had some hound because of how much he loves to scent after things. In all he's just the perfect combination.

He is adorable! I adopted a dog last year and now can't imagine my life with out him. If you are like me and your husband, you will soon find you are planning activities around what would be fun for the dog.

Already there. I can't wait for this weekend to take him to the Arboretum, and I am hoping to take him to the lake today and see if he likes water. He takes a while to warm up to things (I just about had a nervous break down trying to get him to get used to the elevator. ) Eventually we would like to go camping with him, and hiking though he is pretty out of shape right now and we need to slowly build up to that. I am totally dog crazy right now. If you lived near me I would probably be suggesting we set up a doggy date. I want him to have lots of doggy friends! But seriously he is a love, and I love putting so much into him. I’ve never felt a connection to an animal the way I do to Bear.

Even though he prefers my hardwood floors, or our junky futon to the exceptionally expensive doggy bed I bought him!

It's awesome that he seems to be such a great fit. Have you taken him to a dog park? That's a good place for dogs to socialize, if your dog isn't aggressive towards other dogs. Hiking is great for you and your dog, but it's too bad that National Parks generally do not allow your dog on trails. National Forests do allow dogs on trails though, and state and local parks/forests have their own regulations.

I got my dog a dog bed too, but he never used it as a bed. He used it as a chew toy and ripped out all the foam stuffing after he chewed a hole through the covering.

We got my dog a dog bed and kept it downstairs, then one day when everyone was out she carried it up to my mom's room and now sleeps on it in there with her. I frikken love my dog. I always thought I'd like to have a dog from when it was a puppy or else I wouldn't like it as much, but I was wrong. As long as the dogs has the right temperament and accepts you its easy to love the dog right back no matter how old it is.

What a doll! His character shows on his face. I swear, the best dogs are those that are rescued. My Benny was a rescue and he's a complete love. They're so grateful!

ETA: We think Benny is Rhodesian Ridgeback, part, anyway, if not full.

Congrats, Seventh Pup, on your new best friend!

We put down our 14 year old dachshund last week. It was pretty rough.

On the bright side we told a breeder that we really like that if a non-show quality puppy comes along we would be interested. She finally came 6 weeks ago. Here is our new little addition (in my youngest's lap). We met her this week and it looks great. She'll come home in 4 weeks.

Archived