So I read a Stanek book

Larry.

To be fair, didn't Tolkien just take it from the English translation of Midgard? I think mythology is open for grabs, even if Tolkien was the one to popularize the name.

Possibly accurate; hardly a fair comparison.

C'mon.

Dammit, I should have put a J.K. Rowling comparison in there too. Stanek never compares himself to just one of them in his reviews.

Since Stanek is computer-savvy, I wonder if he invented a program to make automated reviews of his books. Just take a list of famous authors, then say Stanek is better, list a few character names, and BAM.

To be fair, didn't Tolkien just take it from the English translation of Midgard? I think mythology is open for grabs, even if Tolkien was the one to popularize the name.

Where do you think this lazy bastard took the name and this particular conception of Men and Elves. That last bit doesn't match the traditional old Norse cosmology (at least according to the most familiar Edda); it's something that most people are familiar with through Tolkien's books and it is more or less part of the cultural understanding of elves nowadays.

Since Stanek is computer-savvy, I wonder if he invented a program to make automated reviews of his books. Just take a list of famous authors, then say Stanek is better, list a few character names, and BAM.

That's pretty mindless, but I'm pretty sure that's the technique he used to generate the backstory for his world too.

Clearly His Leglessness was making the subtle but profound statement that what humanity views as common sense is itself a contradiction, that reality is subjective. He illuminates this brilliantly by taking a concept so basic, so assumed, that the very thought of it being questioned strikes us as laughable, and then He turns it upside down.

West is east. East is west.

That's so. Mr. Stanek, in his wisdom, was making a point that his universe - and ours, also - has a metaphysical reality that is shaped by what individuals believe. Reality is a construct of the mind, and behaves according to our prejudices. Simply put, we all live in different worlds. "West is East. East is West," as you say. That map has confusing and seemingly wrong geographical labels, in order to show how the human mind is inherently full of contradictions.

A fantasy world with a subjective reality was originally his brilliant and mind-bending concept, and that perverted little piece of shit Scott Bakker totally ripped off that idea in his books.

I've already contacted the hotmail lawyers on Stanek's behalf. This plagiarism will not be allowed.

He better be careful, Stanek might see and post a flood of 1 star reviews on all of Abraham's books.

That sounds like a threat, "Cantabile". Your army of sockpuppets does not frighten us!

Enjoy Stanek's wonderful art.

I didn't read what the website said, but it looks like he's claiming there will be a Ruin Mist blockbuster movie out soon.

From the link, something I've never noticed from all of the Stanek stuff before:

The stories of Ruin Mist are set in a fictional past of our world.

Every time someone mentions sockpuppete I get a mental image of Stanek running around his house in his underwear, having schizophrenic conversations with the socks on his hands.

And of course he has a different cartoon voice for each of the socks.

I saw that too, but when I tried to compare the map presented in the novels to our world I blacked out and when I woke up I was sprawled in my yard and I had three broken ribs.

It doesn't seem to make sense at first, but when you take in plate tectonics and the difficulties in syncing up labels in english and elvish it all makes perfect sense.

I will now live in perpetual dread of opening Wikipedia one morning to find Stanek's name in every article. Though, I think he should be added to the sockpuppet article, under notable examples. He really has turned it into a hobby in itself.

I will now live in perpetual dread of opening Wikipedia one morning to find Stanek's name in every article. Though, I think he should be added to the sockpuppet article, under notable examples. He really has turned it into a hobby in itself.

I trust you already know Stanek’s history on Wikipedia. If not, start at http://wwwwolf.livejournal.com/247878.html

I'm posting this as a treat to you guys. I found this on a Livejournal page (it was linked to Happy Ent's link), and it's equally cringe-worthy and hilarious to read, since it's in a children's book.

Robert Stanek's attempt to write an almost-sex scene:

Chapter Sixteen: Across The Distance

The floor was cold against Galan’s bare feet. Lost in his plight, Seth didn’t notice her approach. A small voice told her not to go to him, yet a larger voice urged her on. She took the next step very carefully and deliberately, not knowing what it meant, her consciousness held her no more; there could be no turning back now. She was about to lie beside Seth when a light summons sounded at the door. Seth looked up. Galan started. She retied the strands she held, removing her dress. (page 170)

A circle of heat bathed the two forms pressed tightly one against the other. Galan redirected her will now, probing him with emotion absent of thought. A slight finger traced her and Seth returned to the passion that flowed to him. (page 172)

This is in a Stanek book marketed to nine year-olds.

If I read it at the age of nine, I'd laugh.

Archived