Is Littlefinger Robert Arryn's father?

Lord Fowler

In ACOK Tyrion thinks of LF and says:

"Ten years ago, Jon Arryn had given him a minor sinecure in customs, where Lord Petyr had soon distinguished himself..." and "Within three years of his coming to court, he was the master of coin and a member of the small council..."

Just as Rhaenys_Targaryen said, the question is what "soon" means. I'd say one year is reasonable. Enough to establish himself in Gulltown and to prove that it wasn't just coincidence that he earned so many money and enough for Jon to realize the worth of LF.

Do we know when LF became the Master of Coin? It might help. Still, even if back then when SR was concieved LF was in Gulltown and lord Arryn and his wife in KL, it isn't impossible that LF is his father. Jon and Lysa could visit the Vale and LF could go there to give Jon report and here we go. Or LF could travel to KL to tell Jon about something urgent and Lysa surely didn't miss the chance.

In ACOK Tyrion thinks of LF and says:

"Ten years ago, Jon Arryn had given him a minor sinecure in customs, where Lord Petyr had soon distinguished himself..." and "Within three years of his coming to court, he was the master of coin and a member of the small council..."

Just as Rhaenys_Targaryen said, the question is what "soon" means. I'd say one year is reasonable. Enough to establish himself in Gulltown and to prove that it wasn't just coincidence that he earned so many money and enough for Jon to realize the worth of LF.

Do we know when LF became the Master of Coin? It might help. Still, even if back then when SR was concieved LF was in Gulltown and lord Arryn and his wife in KL, it isn't impossible that LF is his father. Jon and Lysa could visit the Vale and LF could go there to give Jon report and here we go. Or LF could travel to KL to tell Jon about something urgent and Lysa surely didn't miss the chance.

I don't think it's impossible (unfortunately :P) that the logistics more or less make it possible, but I do think you're overestimating how much people travel. Ned and Robert were very close (no Nedbert please!), and yet neither went to see the other for 9 years. Granted, the nature of the two probably contribute to this, but still. Then again, Catelyn goes gallivanting to King's Landing just to give ned the dagger and speak to him for five minutes, so there's that...

• 4 months later...

There is no doubt that Littlefinger got Lysa with child once, (Tansy.)

Jon Arryn's own verility is questionable. Despite his wives and several attempts, he really never got a viable child. Plus, SweetRobyn seems weak, unlike the Arryns. To be fair, SweetRobyns disposition can be largely attrinuted to Lysa's over protective brand of mothering, but still..

Petyr Baelish was a small weak boy and SweetRobyn bares a greater resemblence to him than what we have heard of Jon Arryn. 

When I was rereading aSoS, during Lord Hoster's guild ridden dream babble, I started to get the vibe SweetRobyn was Littlefinger's. Petyr and Lysa were undoubtedly getting busy during the time he was concevied.

Petyr Baelish was a small weak boy and SweetRobyn bares a greater resemblence to him than what we have heard of Jon Arryn. 

There is nothing in the books that state Littlefinger was weak as a child  . He was short for his age but there is nothing about him being weak or sickly as a boy. . 

Could Lysa just be referring to the (Tansy) child....yes.  Could she be referring to Robin....yes.  Both are possible.  I always read it as meaning the former. Another mystery created by the ambiguity in the writing, and I think it's brilliant.  If nothing else, it makes for great forum conversations.  This might be another one of the numerous things that may never be cleared up definitively in the text.

Answer me this, does anyone know if Jon Arryn had any stillborn children or something like that?  I can't remember off the top of my head.

If no, that decreases the chances that he was truly Robin's father or vice versa.

• 3 months later...

I don't know if it's been brought up. but Robert looks very little (if anything) like Jon Arryn, whilest at least having a few slight similarities to Petyr.

"A short man of slender build, with sharp features, Petyr has gray-green eyes, a small pointed beard on his chin, and threads of grey running throughout his dark hair."

"Robert is a sickly, whiny, and spoilt child of six. He is small and pale with brown hair and big eyes."

Meanwhile for Jon- "Jon had broad shoulders.[3] Half of his teeth had fallen out by the time he married Lady Lysa Tully.[4] As a younger man he resembled Harrold Hardyng, who has blue eyes, blonde hair, and an aquiline nose."

I don't know if it's been brought up. but Robert looks very little (if anything) like Jon Arryn, whilest at least having a few slight similarities to Petyr.

"A short man of slender build, with sharp features, Petyr has gray-green eyes, a small pointed beard on his chin, and threads of grey running throughout his dark hair."

"Robert is a sickly, whiny, and spoilt child of six. He is small and pale with brown hair and big eyes."

Meanwhile for Jon- "Jon had broad shoulders.[3] Half of his teeth had fallen out by the time he married Lady Lysa Tully.[4] As a younger man he resembled Harrold Hardyng, who has blue eyes, blonde hair, and an aquiline nose."

Whoa. I'm sold on that sickly, annoying little prick of a child being Littlefinger's son!

Archived