Footy the 22nd!

MercenaryChef

BBC Scotland has done one of the wierdest things ever and is showing a live domestic cup match that doesn't involve either half of the Old Firm. :blink: I wonder if they'll notice that Rangers aren't playing and change the schedule.

Fulop was okay as a sub, Chimbonda never worked out sadly, he's a good player...Hutton was class on loan.

Did Alan Hutton do any defending when he was at Sunderland last season? He's one of those full backs who does a lot of driving forward but can be caught out defensively, most notably in a massive game at Hampden three years ago. :(

Did Alan Hutton do any defending when he was at Sunderland last season? He's one of those full backs who does a lot of driving forward but can be caught out defensively, most notably in a massive game at Hampden three years ago. :(

He was actually quite good. Maybe not the greatest defender ever, but he did his job defensively, wasn't caught out much and his link-play up the right wing was superb.

What's with all the derision directed at Capello? I mean, he's one of the most successful managers ever, just because he didn't win the World Cup with an England squad that has never challenged for international honors doesn't suddenly change the fact that he has a pretty good grasp of the game.

His lucrative contract just reflects the desperation of the English FA.

What's with all the derision directed at Capello? I mean, he's one of the most successful managers ever, just because he didn't win the World Cup with an England squad that has never challenged for international honors doesn't suddenly change the fact that he has a pretty good grasp of the game.

It's really quite remarkable. I subscribe to a 5Live daily podcast, and a couple days ago it was 25 minutes of just moaning about Capello. We've reached a point where the witch hunt has started, and the media will interpret everything he does in the worst possible light. The Beckham nonsense was a big example of this.

Communication problems between management and the playing staff, failure to identify the correct players, ignorance concerning the past mistakes of the team, lack of adaptability to crucial moments in games, incapability to chose a formation that works, incomprehensibility with the mass media and fans.

Not saying he wasn't a great coach, but he's ill suited for the job's demands. I could run the team better. Ironically, a similarly great Italian manager is exhibiting problems in his running of the Irish national side.

I could run the team better.

No, I really doubt that, for the simple reason that the players would afford you a lot less respect than they do him.

ETA: I've read quite a few complaints about him in English language media. The thing that struck me is that they tend to be very general charges, hardly backed up by anything verifiable. Looks a lot like the media looking for a scapegoat.

No, I really doubt that, for the simple reason that the players would afford you a lot less respect than they do him.

You mean onto the kind of respect Mourinho was afforded when he moved into football without having a playing career?

I was joking, but still.

It's not a scapegoat thing, as he's received a fairly strong backing up until recently. The WC was a calamitous event. It wouldn't have been as bad if they lost in the Germany game and that was it, but the performances in all the games were terrible. Squad selection was poor, as afore mentioned, along with the team on the day of the matches, the subs chosen, and the formation decided upon.

Not saying he wasn't a great coach, but he's ill suited for the job's demands.

Let's face it, apart from the flying spagethi monster, there's noone that is suited for that job. If there ever was a job were simply getting the job made you unsuitable for the job, it's the England manager job.

You mean onto the kind of respect Mourinho was afforded when he moved into football without having a playing career?

He had to work to get that respect. Without success at Leiria he wouldn't have even gotten the Porto job, and if he hadn't done an outstanding job there, Chelsea wouldn't have come calling.

Communication problems between management and the playing staff, failure to identify the correct players, ignorance concerning the past mistakes of the team, lack of adaptability to crucial moments in games, incapability to chose a formation that works, incomprehensibility with the mass media and fans.

Not saying he wasn't a great coach, but he's ill suited for the job's demands. I could run the team better. Ironically, a similarly great Italian manager is exhibiting problems in his running of the Irish national side.

Some of those are fair criticisms: the vast majority are not. Who are the 'correct players', for example? The consensus of opinion before the WC was that the squad he'd picked was the right one, with maybe a quibble or two about the fourth-choice centre back and so on. And Capello is quite comprehensible. His disciplinary style is maybe not suited to international management, but his predecessor got endless stick for his (completely contrasting) style.

I'm afraid the recent criticism is, largely, just scapegoating from people who were perfectly happy with Capello before the WC, who are reluctant to blame the players for professional reasons, and who have now decided that he must go and are unhappy that the FA won't do what they want. Capello is still one of the best coaches working today, as is Trappatoni for that matter. That they aren't miracle-workers appears to be their main failing.

Yeah. I spoke about this soon after he announced his WC squad.

Cole/Bent should've been in the squad ahead of Heskey. Hell, even Kevin Davis would've got my pick ahead of him. How many times did he start for Villa last season? That Capello not only selected him for the squad, but from the start, was a bad mistake. If he really wanted to persist with playing two up front - he shouldn't have - Defoe comes well ahead. He's a talented player, who showed his worth when he was finally chosen. Green got the go ahead, despite Hart (and other's) being more gifted in goals. How many goals did he concede last season? Jamie Carragher's selection was baffling, as well. It's tiresome even discussing it as it's so obvious the man wasn't suited. He hasn't the legs and made mistakes against the US, prompting his removal. Also, while I admire the courage it took to decide on Ledley King, Capello was warned by how bad his body was. No surprise then that he only played 45 minutes.

I'd expand further, criticising other selections, but the whole issue is old and Capello should've been removed from his position immediately upon return to the country.

All in all, this should've been the team:

Hart

Johnson Terry Dawson A. Cole

Parker Barry

Lennon Johnson

Gerrard

Rooney

Are people still complaining about Capello not dropping Heskey? Not only is that easily enough said in hindsight - the formation worked great in qualifying - but Heskey was one of England's only players to not actually embarrass himself in the tournament. Capello made some dodgy calls but that wasn't one of them.

On the other hand, I've got to say that tonight proved why Rooney shouldn't ever be the main source of goals in a team (which he was with Heskey, though he always plays better with a true holdup player because he can drop deep then get back onto the layoff) - because he's always has and likely always will have patches of goalscoring but give him the freedom to be able to playmake instead of stressing about scoring and... well, three assists tonight.

Are people still complaining about Capello not dropping Heskey? Not only is that easily enough said in hindsight - the formation worked great in qualifying - but Heskey was one of England's only players to not actually embarrass himself in the tournament. Capello made some dodgy calls but that wasn't one of them.

It was said prior to the tournament. Some people have a short recollection. And yes, it was a dodgy call. Emile Heskey is an abysmal footballer.

Archived