U.S. Politics, 7

TerraPrime

The people screaming "Never forget 9/11" tend to be the ones that weren't affected by it at all.

I'm always curious what people are supposed to "Never Forget" anyway.

I figured it's best if everyone forgets being scared shitless.

Do you also tear up when you watch replays of the Shock and Awe bombings in Baghdad? Or is the senseless massacre of innocents only sad when it's Americans?

I don't know man, does that came with some somber orchestral background music and majestic-looking horses/camels bowing toward the sight of Baghdad in ruins? :bawl:

I have a definition of "affected by 9/11" that doesn't include bullshit like "the quality of my air travel changed".

Again, my definition of "affected by 9/11" doesn't include people who watched it on TV and were brought to tears. I can't take that seriously anymore.

And what exactly is your definition of "affected by 9/11"?

There are definitely degrees of impact. Mine was lower with had to find alternate means to get home and then call parents to say I was ok and that the plane didn't hit near the Pentagon Bus/metro stop I used every day. Fiance's was greater with 5 hours spent not knowing if her father was alive because his section of the Pentagon was hit. Not as great as those who lost lives and families.

To a greater extent all Americans have been affected; whether it be from warrentless wiretaps, additional security measures, additional red tape, or greater inherited debt from the response. Never forget is just another slogan... How many people really remember the Alamo today...

To a greater extent all Americans have been affected; whether it be from warrentless wiretaps, additional security measures, additional red tape, or greater inherited debt from the response. Never forget is just another slogan... How many people really remember the Alamo today...

I don't think most people need to told to remember 9/11 anyway. Most people remember it well enough. But I do think there are some folks who'd prefer if we'd sort of forget about it.

What exactly are we suppose to remember about 9/11 again?

I don't think most people forgot that an act of terrorism took place in 9/11, but what some people prefer to forget is what happened to America and the rest of the world as the result of that incident.

What is beneficial about forgetting about it?

I don't think we should forget it happened in a literal sense, but I do not think it should be considered as relevant as it is now in dictating policy nearly ten years later. I think it is beneficial to put 9/11 in the past so that America can set aside its Islamophobia

I don't think we should forget it happened in a literal sense, but I do not think it should be considered as relevant as it is now in dictating policy nearly ten years later. I think it is beneficial to put 9/11 in the past so that America can set aside its Islamophobia

I don't see the two as being inextricably linked.

Being less 'relevant than it is now' is a long way from 'forgetting about it'.

And the event is hardly dominating our policy decisions.

You don't think 9/11 has dominated the direction of US foreign poilcy for the last like 9 years? :blink:

As for forgetting, the slogan "Never Forget" would imply that it would be forgotten unless everyone was reminded. Which again begs the question "Why should we never forget?"

I don't see the two as being inextricably linked.

What an odd claim to make, given that 9/11 was the catalyst for the recent revival of Islamaphobia over the hysteria of the proposed Cordoba cultural center.

And the event is hardly dominating our policy decisions.

An even odder claim to make, given how it has dominated US foreign policy and military objective since then and continuing to the presence.

The Iraq one is not as clear cut; it might not have happened if Gore rather than Bush had won the 2000 election. However, I am absolutely sure that the neocons would not have succeeded in pushing it through if not for 9/11.

Hahaha, wow. I wish this was somehow a subtle joke, playing at being absurd.

Well, if we forget, we might cease to be sufficiently terrorized and we might stop climbing over ourselves to give up more of our civil liberties. So it's crucial that we don't forget.

Did 9/11 create this kind of rampant hyperbole, or was that pre-existing?

What an odd claim to make, given that 9/11 was the catalyst for the recent revival of Islamaphobia over the hysteria of the proposed Cordoba cultural center.

An even odder claim to make, given how it has dominated US foreign policy and military objective since then and continuing to the presence.

this, I just don't see how anyone can say that 9/11 hasn't been an enormous factor in policy decisions and contributing to anti Muslim sentiment. I have (white) Muslim acquaintances who I met pre 9/11, and I would say their lives have been drastically changed due to 9/11. They are treated differently by almost everyone, they have to be afraid, they can't travel without expecting to have to endure extra security checks. They can't expect not to be harassed every year on the anniversary of 9/11.

Hahaha, wow. I wish this was somehow a subtle joke, playing at being absurd.

What's absurd about it?

The Iraq War was a GWB/Neo-Con pet-project. Under another administration the chances of it happening are pretty much nil.

And the chances of it happening are VASTLY reduced with 9/11 creating the political climate that made it possible to get the public to swallow the idea.

What's absurd about it?

The Iraq War was a GWB/Neo-Con pet-project. Under another administration the chances of it happening are pretty much nil.

And the chances of it happening are VASTLY reduced with 9/11 creating the political climate that made it possible to get the public to swallow the idea.

I meant it was absurd to think it was possible under Gore. As is claiming the connection between 9/11 and the Iraq war was "not clear cut". I thought it was pretty clear fuck cut as day that there is not actually connection other than what was cooked up by W and his council.

Archived