Diablo 3

jurble

Well, I was dead set on not getting this game since I knew it would consume my life.

Nonsense! Nearly all of my friends have scheduled at least three going outs in the first week after launch - for foodstuffs and energy drinks. Is that the irrational behaviour of a person, whose life has been consumed by a game, I ask you? :P

Nonsense! Nearly all of my friends have scheduled at least three going outs in the first week after launch - for foodstuffs and energy drinks. Is that the irrational behaviour of a person, whose life has been consumed by a game, I ask you? :P

I'm looking forward to playing the game since I thought it would be a nice co op alternative to mmos that I don't have or really take the time to play anymore. Back in the day I played both the first and second game a lot. Due to some unfortunate circumstances I'm going to end up playing it like a job from around 8 am to 5 pm when the girlfriend is at work. It will be nice to have a new game to pass my time. I will miss the release day since I will be in surgery that day. Will post a battle tag later on.

I haven't made up my mind about spoilers. I mean it is Diablo does it really have a story? If it has a story will it just hinder game play especially in multiplayer. ;)

I went back today and looked at d2's story cinematics - and it has a surprisingly decent story. The world stone shattering is a kinda big deal. Marius suffering, Tristram being blown up, tal rasha, duriel surprising, izual, the hellforge, the siege of arreat - not at all bad story elements. As are te back stories of the characters like the assassin.

Also the primary spoilers are associated with what bosses you'll face, which in turn has some betrayal type events implied. It's nothing hugely shocking (curse your sudden and inevitable betrayal) but it is pretty spoilery.

I always liked the story of D2. Obviously D1 didn't have much to speak of, but D2 had a real reason to move forward other than just kill the next loot pinata.

I think you're better off enjoying the story in the single player mode though.

Concerning Diablo's universe & story:

It has huge potential but is underdeveloped due to the nature of previous Diablo games, which focused more on hack and slash and item grind than on story (not that D3 will be much different). Nevertheless, if you take the story of all the games, plus the Diablo novels and the rest of the trivia, you have the makings of a pretty complex universe.

I'm really looking forward to this. I didn't play D2 all that much but I am looking for a game to get myself immersed into. Been awhile since I had time to play so this should be great. Can't wait!

I haven't really checked out the lore more than just playing the game. My worry is that by telling more story during the game through quests they will hinder game play a bit in co op when progressing. I think the lore is fits the genre with a constant theme of corruption, I wouldn't want to end up in the situation where I need to just play with friends or play solo and save the pugging for when I want to grind. Now that loot is personal I want to group most of the time.

Archived