College Basketball 2010-2011 and Tourney

Rhom

Here's a thought. Can anyone ever remember a tournament with less great players in it? It seems to me like an All-America team from this year would not match up favorably at all with All-American teams from other years. Sullinger? Barnes? Singler? K. Walker? It's not that these guys aren't good, but the freshman haven't taken the nation by storm the way the John Walls, Kevin Loves, and Derrick Roses of the past have.

There's a reason why Terrence Jones is a likely lottery pick this year...

Jesus, this Clemson UAB game is a real snoozer. I was hoping to at least get a feel for how good Clemson is but UAB failed to do their part by putting up a fight. I don't think Clemson has looked particularly good, but UAB does look pretty bad. I've learned nothing! :tantrum:

We just had to add more teams to the tournament.... and now I'm never going to watch one of these play-in games again unless the Mountaineers end up in one.

I've had a much harder time than usual filling out some of my brackets this year, the top teams just didn't stick out for me as much. As far as the easiest road, I've got some of my own thoughts on that after looking them over. At first look it the Southeast does jump out, but I'm inclined to believe that it is VERY possible that Pitt lays an egg, as it is often called, at ODU or Butler. ODU and Butler both slow the game down and crash the boards the same way Pitt does, and Jamie Dixon and Pitt are prone to disappoint. So with that said, I think it really opens that region up. Who knows what is going to come out? With BYU losing Davies, I don't think Jimmer can win on his own. It is a total Wild Card, oh yeah, as for Florida I am of what I think is an agreement on this board that they are overrated. Soooo now that I've drawn that out, Duke marching through the West is the easiest! SDSU looks nice when you look at their height and such, but meh them. You guys think Irving being back in action (if limited) changes anything for Duke?

Jesus, this Clemson UAB game is a real snoozer. I was hoping to at least get a feel for how good Clemson is but UAB failed to do their part by putting up a fight. I don't think Clemson has looked particularly good, but UAB does look pretty bad. I've learned nothing! :tantrum:

We just had to add more teams to the tournament.... and now I'm never going to watch one of these play-in games again unless the Mountaineers end up in one.

Clemson classically underachieves like Gonzaga.. They showed they can play defense to a point and run a good offense against UNC, but they also proved they can totally just fail hard... Like maybe not scoring a single bucket in the last few minutes of the game to seal the deal and then getting dominated in OT. So really you did kind of learn that there is a reason it is the only ACC school without a championship.. hug advances

Coach K says that Irving might play in the tourney opener???

Irving

It would obviously be something akin to what Brandon Roy has done with the Blazers in the last few years, but considering this kids talent and the fact that this is NCAA and not the NBA I wonder

I've had a much harder time than usual filling out some of my brackets this year, the top teams just didn't stick out for me as much. As far as the easiest road, I've got some of my own thoughts on that after looking them over. At first look it the Southeast does jump out, but I'm inclined to believe that it is VERY possible that Pitt lays an egg, as it is often called, at ODU or Butler. ODU and Butler both slow the game down and crash the boards the same way Pitt does, and Jamie Dixon and Pitt are prone to disappoint. So with that said, I think it really opens that region up. Who knows what is going to come out? With BYU losing Davies, I don't think Jimmer can win on his own. It is a total Wild Card, oh yeah, as for Florida I am of what I think is an agreement on this board that they are overrated. Soooo now that I've drawn that out, Duke marching through the West is the easiest! SDSU looks nice when you look at their height and such, but meh them. You guys think Irving being back in action (if limited) changes anything for Duke?

Yea, I probably have the least chalk in the southeast. I've got St. John's in the final 4 from there in a couple of the brackets I filled out, and I don't have Pitt in the Final 4 in any of them. Probably some bias there on my part. But despite the fact that I hate Pitt, I fully acknowledge that they are a good basketball team this year. Really good, in fact. But they are definitely proven to be likely to lay an egg come tourney time and, like you, I think that Butler or ODU could very well take them out fairly early.

I've used the same bracket every time (all my eggs in one basket), and I have Pitt losing to KState, a team that can bang with them but also outshoot them. That's gonna require KState to get through Wisconsin, though.

IDK, I have all four 1 seeds in the elite 8, but only 1 in the Final Four, both of which are probably a little unrealistic. I dunno, this year seems super random, I agree. I feel really unsure about my East bracket, 'cause I went mostly chalk, but I have 'Cuse coming out, and I have no clue if that's realistic.

but I have 'Cuse coming out, and I have no clue if that's realistic.

I've got UNC coming out of there... however, Jay Bilas this morning said that he has the Cuse moving on. His reasoning for them beating UNC made a lot of sense (different play style, won't try to run with Heels, etc) and I might want to reconsider that one.

I think UAB pretty much showed as much as they can - just providing more fuel to the "how the hell did they get selected" conversation.

Coach K says that Irving might play in the tourney opener???

While I would love to see Irving in the lineup at full strength, not sure him taking the chance and potentially injuring himself again is worth what it would cost.

Gonna fill out the bracket later today - work PC won't let me get to any bracket views. So far at least.

While I would love to see Irving in the lineup at full strength, not sure him taking the chance and potentially injuring himself again is worth what it would cost.

As of March 9th, nbadraft.net has Kyrie Irving listed as the number 2 overall pick. Duke hasn't played with him in 3 months and Nolan Smith is a totally different player without him. When considering the potential disruption fitting him back into the line-up could cause, and the potential damage to his draft stock if he's hurt again... I'd sit if I were him.

But I'm not. So he'll probably play.

ETA: Here's the complete TV listing for the Thursday/Friday games. (I refuse to call them the second/third round games.)

But I'm not. So he'll probably play.

Well, looking more and more like he will be playing. Nike has made a special shoe to protect the toe.

Feedback is that his timing is off, but that is why he will go in the first round game (Participation Ribbon round games do not count as "round one") so that he is better prepped for the round of 32 and beyond. 15-20 minutes is his limit, but they'll take a 90% Kyrie as a benefit. I don't know, I'll be happily surprised, but I can't see how inserting him into the lineup doesn't throw off Nolan. course, while my last name is spelled oddly, it doesn't start with K and I'll trust him in knowing his team better than me.

Seems like a really weak group of 2 seeds - can't really see any of them going to the final 4. Confused about the Southeast.

I have the dreadfully under-achieving Michigan State beating the tragically overseeded Florida Gators in the second round.

I think that MSU v. UCLA is one of the best first round games. Michigan State is always interesting in the tournament with Izzo being proven as one of the best post-season coaches. Howland has had his share of success too (actually both of these coaches can boast a three straight years Final Four run). But MSU has underachieved big time this year, and UCLA has been consistently inconsistent. Will they be the team that easily beat a full-strength BYU, beat St. John's and throttled Arizona? Or will they be the team that got blown out by 7th seeded Oregon in the Pac-10 tournament?

That's my general thinking on the issue. Somehow, someway, Izzo always gets his team to overachieve in March. Look at his Final Four seasons.

1999, 2000, and 2001 MSU made it as a one seed.

2009 MSU was a 2 seed.

2005 and 2010 MSU made it as a 5 seed.

So early in this decade, Izzo had his teams clicking all season long and then lived up to expectations in the tournament. However, in the later part of the decade, they've really been overachieving. (Yes, they were a 2 seed in 2009... but I choose to ignore that in favor of my argument ;) ) It wouldn't shock me at all to see them go on a run in this tournament and the bottom half of that bracket really is ripe for the taking if they can get past Donovan and Co.

I have the dreadfully under-achieving Michigan State beating the tragically overseeded Florida Gators in the second round.

I have Michigan State upsetting Florida AND BYU. But when you start picking multiple big upsets that make sense in the short run, you get to the Elite Eight and realize that you have a 10 seed playing a 5 seed (Kansas State) and you don't really believe either of them are going to the Final 4.

In the case of Pittsburgh vs. the field, I'm inclined to pick the field, but despite that, I don't think that anyone else in the Southeast is capable of winning four games in a row, although obviously someone has to.

Yeah, I have KState vs MSU in that quadrant, and I have KState in the FF. And I'm actually pretty OK with it.

The worst thing is that I'm pulling for Pitt a little, 'cause I like Dixon, but I have a 5 vs a 10 in the elite 8 from their bracket.

Or will they be the team that got blown out by 7th seeded Oregon in the Pac-10 tournament?

I put no credence on that one whatsoever. Howland does not believe in competing in the Conference Tournament when a berth is already assured.

I have Michigan State upsetting Florida AND BYU. But when you start picking multiple big upsets that make sense in the short run, you get to the Elite Eight and realize that you have a 10 seed playing a 5 seed (Kansas State) and you don't really believe either of them are going to the Final 4.

In the case of Pittsburgh vs. the field, I'm inclined to pick the field, but despite that, I don't think that anyone else in the Southeast is capable of winning four games in a row, although obviously someone has to.

I like St. John's coming out of that bracket. Pitt loses to Butler, K State ultimately takes Butler down. I think that Michigan State takes down UCLA and Florida, but are too taxed to make it 3 in a row against a St. John's team that has won a lot of big games this year. St. Johns beats K State and makes it to the Final 4. Basically, if Pitt fails to fold like an accordion... I'm fucked. :laugh:

What makes you say that? Don't get me wrong, the loss to Oregon was the stuff of flukes, but I remember them rolling through the Pac-10 tourney during Love's year when a #1 seed was potentially on the line.

Okay, I stand corrected. A potential #1 seed would inspire him to have his team play hard. But I've heard him in interviews say that the rest is more important than the difference between a #4 and #6 seed. I don't think he was the least bit disappointed by losing to Oregon.

Archived