Boardwalk Empire - Thread #2 (apparently this evolved into a SPOILER thread behind my back)

Bronn Stone

IIRC, she disappears after the baby is born, and he's left taking care of the child. He ends up cooperating with the new prosecutor, but Nucky finds out about the murder of Agent Sebso and leaks it. When Van Alden is about to get caught, he flees the office, and winds up in Cicero, IL in the season finale.

With the Swedish nanny, IIRC.

Fuck my life. I won't be able to see it until next Friday. Going on a school trip on Monday (until Friday), and since I'm in the Netherlands I can't see it on Sunday. Oh, crap!

Fuck my life. I won't be able to see it until next Friday. Going on a school trip on Monday (until Friday), and since I'm in the Netherlands I can't see it on Sunday. Oh, crap!

Holy shit, this whole time I've been thinking it aired on October 16th for some reasons. Now I'm fucking psyched. My Sunday nights just haven't been the same without something awesome to watch.

SPOILERS FOR S3 EP1 AHEAD:

So I thought that was a pretty damn good season opener. When I saw Van Alden back in the mix I inwardly groaned, but I don't know, if he's going to go up against Capone though by joining with (O'bannon?) then psycho against psycho is interesting.

I loved Harrow in this episode, as I do in every episode, but here was another particularly awesome one for him. He's not only keeping Jimmy but trying to keep Angela's memory alive too for the kid - and he's out there settling those debts - Manny!

Nucky's worried about the '24 election, and so are Harding's men. I think this endorses my suspicion that a poison-assasination conspiracy on President Harding will be a subplot of this season and Nucky, if he's not in the thick of the conspiracy will have some part in it, even if just peripherally.

Roseti I'm least interested in at this point. Another hothead that's gonna cause trouble, nothing terribly unique about this yet.

Only thing was, no Chalky this episode, but there was so much going on there was no way they could have fit him in and added to it, I only hope he has some significant moments in later episodes.

WOW. Throughout the episode I kept wondering about two things...

1. Where was the fallout with Margaret signing over the deed to the church

2. Why hadn't Richard done anything about Jimmy's murder

The show slyly answered both questions at the end. Not sure how I feel about the new "villain". He seems stereotypically psycho. I'm more intrigued by the events in Chicago. I like how Van Alden stumbled into the Capone/O'Bannon situation. If you know anything about that history, you know it's going to have fireworks.

Which thread are we using? I wrote my thoughts in the other one, can a mod merge the threads?

I think it was merged. I started the other thread, but now it's unavailable, I believe it was merged with this one. If I had know this thread exsted earlier this week, I wouldn't have started the other. Guess that's a lesson to search before starting a new thread.

I really enjoyed tonight's premiere. I actually thought Gyp Rosetti looked fantastic, in a murdering psychopath sort of way. Loved it when Harrow popped Manny in the face with a .12 gauge.

Looks like Van Alden had another kid with the Swedish nanny he absconded to Cicero with, and it also seems like he is going to work for O'bannon, though I would rather see him work for Capone.

WOW. Throughout the episode I kept wondering about two things...

1. Where was the fallout with Margaret signing over the deed to the church

2. Why hadn't Richard done anything about Jimmy's murder

The show slyly answered both questions at the end. Not sure how I feel about the new "villain". He seems stereotypically psycho. I'm more intrigued by the events in Chicago. I like how Van Alden stumbled into the Capone/O'Bannon situation. If you know anything about that history, you know it's going to have fireworks.

Pretty much agree with your entire post.

I like Bobby Cannavale as the new villain. It's Joe Pesci from Goodfellas, of course, but Cannavale adds energy and I really enjoyed the scene where he insulted every gangster in the room at once. (Rothstein's dark look after Rosetti called him a kike midget was particularly nice.)

I think this was a really entertaining episode in general, one of their better ones. The scene where Capone's threat turns into an improvised bluff between the florist and Van Alden was great, and Harrow killing Manny Horvitz was a nice shock since they seemed to be building him up as a major character this season.

Kind of to my surprise, I think I most enjoyed Gillian and Harrow fighting over Tommy's allegiances in the middle of the creepiest brothel of the Jazz Age. The feeling of it was nicely gothic, which is a well that Boardwalk Empire doesn't go to often enough. (And who wants to put odds on Gillian surviving the season? I could see Harrow killing her if he thought that somebody else--almost anybody else--would take care of Tommy.)

Grandma Pedophile just creeps me out to the umpteenth degree. "I'm your mama now," :bang: :bang: :bang:

I can't get enough of Mickey Doyle's nervous laughs.

And I am loving Richard's revenge. I am so hoping he does something awful to Gillian and takes the kid somewhere else.

The new villain is interesting. The dog was an odd addition.

Great episode!

Can someone that does know the history give a little background on the guy Capone got into it with?

With shows like this it's tough to know who is based on a historical figure, who is based loosely on a historical figure, and who is pure fiction.

Dean O'Banion: http://en.wikipedia....i/Dean_O'Banion (obvious spoilers)

The new gangster, Gyp Rosetti, is fiction. So is/was Manny Horvitz. Most of the other gangsters are based on real people. Johnny Torio from Chicago was real. Of course Rothstein, Luciano, and Lansky. Even George Remus. Nucky and the Commodore are loosely based on real Atlantic City people.

Thought it was a good episode for the Season 3 opener and really sets up the direction of the season.

I'm amazed at Gyp Rosetti's ability to piss off so many people in one swipe. :lol:

I think Van Alden ends up working with O'Banion. The idea of him as a mob guy is great. And on the opposite side of Capone (and lord knows he's not the sit silently and take it type either).

Harrow is fantastic. Easily one of my favorite characters on the show. I love his revenge for Angela and I agree that before it's over and done Gillian is going to get removed from the situation.

I also thought it was interesting when Rosetti went up to Margaret and gave her the dog. No coincidence that the last "owner" of that dog he killed? Sending a nice little message to Nucky and Co.?

Thought it was a good episode for the Season 3 opener and really sets up the direction of the season.

I'm amazed at Gyp Rosetti's ability to piss off so many people in one swipe. :lol:

I think Van Alden ends up working with O'Banion. The idea of him as a mob guy is great. And on the opposite side of Capone (and lord knows he's not the sit silently and take it type either).

Harrow is fantastic. Easily one of my favorite characters on the show. I love his revenge for Angela and I agree that before it's over and done Gillian is going to get removed from the situation.

I also thought it was interesting when Rosetti went up to Margaret and gave her the dog. No coincidence that the last "owner" of that dog he killed? Sending a nice little message to Nucky and Co.?

My sentiments exactly. Poor little dog. Rosetti's got some pride issues that are going to get him in trouble.

Anyone else thinking Margaret is going to botch her attempt at becoming a women's rights leader? Or Slater will get even more obvious about their affair?

Oh, and what was with the treasure? If there was a hint in that scene I total missed it. Nucky was obviously upset but why? :dunce:

Oh, and what was with the treasure? If there was a hint in that scene I total missed it. Nucky was obviously upset but why? :dunce:

Nucky's greedy himself, and he brought out the gold to please his guests, but the free-for-all that developed was a pretty striking display of rampant greed from people of means who can afford to buy nice things for themselves if they like it. I read Nucky's reaction as contempt.

(And hypocritical or not, it wouldn't be the first time. After Nucky got his criminal case moved to federal court last season, there was a scene where Nucky permits Harry Daugherty and his new prosecutor to use part of his suite for whoring and drinking while he sat in his office looking annoyed at the whole spectacle. Where Nucky gets this wholly unearned sense of superiority, I don't know, but it's not new.)

Archived