Boardwalk Empire - Thread #2 (apparently this evolved into a SPOILER thread behind my back)

Bronn Stone

Whether this sets Nucky and Richard on a path to conflict remains to be seen, I don't think it has to.

I don't see how conflict is avoided. That sounds like strange story-telling to me, both because it requires everything to go right for Richard and because it makes Richard's story less interesting and Nucky's position more secure.

So interesting bit I saw as I watched a season 2 episode with my roommate. Van Alden is in his home with Lucy, somebody noticed the name on the house was Mueller. Van Alden now goes by George Mueller. There is a George Muller who was a Christian evangelist who cared for countless orphans.

Somebody commenting on Sepinwall's blog asked an interesting question: why is Arnold Rothstein specifically getting the sweetheart deal from Nucky?

AR is keeping Nucky's mistress, so maybe that's part of it (although that seems a little weak, because Nucky could house his own mistress if needed). Is there some debt left over from season two? I seem to recall Nucky used Rothstein's lawyer for his criminal trial last season, but I don't remember details. Or is it just that Rothstein's the most dangerous guy there?

Did anyone else notice a similarity between the Rosetti remind anyone else of Chigurh in No Country for Old Men? Killing the man at the side of the road, asking questions you know there's no right answer too, just generally being a Psycopath?

Or is it just that Rothstein's the most dangerous guy there?

And the most sane. Rothstein has never once fucked Nucky over, and unlike the others he has a clear head for business. They have helped each other out a great deal over the series, it makes sense they would pseudo-trust one another.

I liked how rosetti kept the dog of the guy he butchered at the side of the road.

Thinking about it, Van Alden as a gangster enforcer would be pretty amazing. He was pretty insane on the side of Angels, imagine the havoc he'd create working for a gangster? He could be hard to control but in many ways would make an amazing foil for Capone.

Weren't they at war in season one? As I recall, Rothstein was working with the D'Alessio brothers until he needed Nucky's connections to escape blame for fixing the World Series.

This is true, but they came to an arrangement. Rothstein figured out Nucky wasn't one to screw around with and changed tack pretty quickly. He also went to Nucky for advice over the Black Sox scandal after all. And it was Luciano who instigated that mess.

I'm not saying they are boon companions or anything, but Rothstein has benefitted more from working with Nucky than against him, so it makes sense that after the snaffu in season one he'd rather partner up rather than go back to war.

Rothstein seems to be very level-headed too. Both sides know they can rely on each other until the other decides there is a better alternative. The other gangsters are more prone to let feelings get in the way. It's like Nucky said, Rosetti made his decision easier thanks to the outburst,

Could be overly simplistic interpretation on my part or heavy handedness on the show's part, but they did make a big deal of showing Manny killing Angela during the 'previously on' segment to open the show.

For now I've got to believe Manny's death was because of Angela.

Could be overly simplistic interpretation on my part or heavy handedness on the show's part, but they did make a big deal of showing Manny killing Angela during the 'previously on' segment to open the show.

For now I've got to believe Manny's death was because of Angela.

I didn't really consider this, probably because I liked Billy more, but it was pretty clear that Richard loved Angela and she was an innocent victim whereas Billy was in the line of fire

Weren't they at war in season one? As I recall, Rothstein was working with the D'Alessio brothers until he needed Nucky's connections to escape blame for fixing the World Series.

Rothstein was upset that his men were killed and his shipment sent to Chicago. When he confronted Nucky about it via telephone (basically telling Nucky you fucked me over, even though it was Jimmy), Nucky said something like, "You want to see how I do business? Show your face in Atlantic City again!"

The war was then settled when Rothstein needed Nucky's political connections (Torrio forced Nucky into the meeting) and paid Nucky handsomely for it, as well as gave him the D'Alessio brothers. Then they got working together and have had a successful operation since (with the exception of some interference during Jimmy's takeover).

Remember when Rothstein said he never bets on something that he is not sure of the outcome. That sort of security and smart business is/was perfect for Nucky, a guy trying to avoid the papers.

Yeah, I can't help but think that this is an incredibly simple issue. Rothstein is by far the best businessman, he's been set up as some who, despite various ethnic tensions and such, is still a powerful party that pretty much everyone everyone has at least a professional respect for, he's the biggest player out of them, and he's not going to do something crazy like try to take all the profits for himself or start cutting people off due to personal grudges, etc.

The last time they came to blow is something like 3 years ago in the show's timeline, and Rothstein has even helped Nucky since then, both by lending his lawyer and with giving him good advice about how to deal with Jimmy's attempt to be an upstart. Why would he go to anyone else?

Archived