[Spoilers] Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 discussion thread

Mark Antony

Someone apparently forgot it was Jimmy and put in Billy instead.

Something about the way Eli looks in that trailer makes me wonder if he's going to be long for this world, or if he's lost all taste for the game Nucky plays. I'm probably wrong, but Eli looks like a used up washout.

Billy is the performer-chick that Nucky is having an affair with. I don't recall her real name, but she told Teddy to call her Billy.

Yeah, that's the new character we just meant. However, I think people were referring to this post from the prior thread:

I didn't really consider this, probably because I liked Billy more, but it was pretty clear that Richard loved Angela and she was an innocent victim whereas Billy was in the line of fir

Which, like I said, is someone forgetting Jimmy Darmody's name or having a brain fart and putting Billy in its place.

Yeah, that's the new character we just meant. However, I think people were referring to this post from the prior thread:

Which, like I said, is someone forgetting Jimmy Darmody's name or having a brain fart and putting Billy in its place.

Oh, yeah I saw that earlier. I just didn't want to call them out because there was likely to be backlash due to (basically) everyone's love for Jimmy. :P

I don't get why everyone loves Jimmy so much. I liked him but he was far from my favourite character. Give me Richard Harrow over him anyday. I also love Owen for some reason, although that probably has a lot to do with my crush on the actor.

Jimmy's complexity surely has something to do with it. We watched Jimmy strive to be his own man, while dealing with all sorts of issues set on him by Nucky, Gillian, and the Commodore.

But I agree, I love Richard. By far my favorite, with character-crushes on Eddie Kessler and Owen Sleater. "Well, the chauffeur must wear a cap!"

Re: why Nucky chose Rothstein, I guess I didn't see it in terms of this being a big mystery, necessarily. It's more that I was wondering if it means that Nucky's alliance with Rothstein has gotten deeper in the year-plus since last season's finale, or if that's reading too much into things.

Ah, it was a brain fart on my part, sorry. Posting too late in the evening and there's a shit load of characters to keep track of. I'll go back and edit it to avoid further confusion. You should see how bad i am at work getting people's names mixed up all the time,

EDIT: old thread is locked so can't correct that mistake but for the record I meant

"I didn't really consider this, probably because I liked Billy Jimmy more (not so much that i remember his name!), but it was pretty clear that Richard loved Angela and she was an innocent victim whereas Billy Jimmy was in the line of fire"

If the season ends up with Billy being killed because she is in the line of fire then think of it as a prophetic typo :)

Jimmy was troubled for reasons that weren't his own. We could blame the bad things on Gillian, the Commodore, and Nucky, while we can highlight his good side (love for Angela and Tommy, compassion towards Richard, respect for vets, attempts to keep the coup political, etc.)

The flashback episode really gave us some insight to his reasons for enlisting (which only made him seem more the boy), how Gillian has brainwashed him his whole life (as we see again with Tommy), his boyish love for Angela, his humanizing fear of being a father and husband.

Jimmy was troubled for reasons that weren't his own. We could blame the bad things on Gillian, the Commodore, and Nucky, while we can highlight his good side (love for Angela and Tommy, compassion towards Richard, respect for vets, attempts to keep the coup political, etc.)

The flashback episode really gave us some insight to his reasons for enlisting (which only made him seem more the boy), how Gillian has brainwashed him his whole life (as we see again with Tommy), his boyish love for Angela, his humanizing fear of being a father and husband.

I guess I just can't love him the way some people do. I likeed him, I found him intriuging and I felt sympathy for him but I also found him quite frustrating at times.

I guess I just can't love him the way some people do. I likeed him, I found him intriuging and I felt sympathy for him but I also found him quite frustrating at times.

Oh, I completely agree. I loved who Jimmy was pre-war. Or at least who we were led to believe he was. After the war he was too conflicted because he was supposed to be dead. He never looked beyond the war, and everything came crashing down upon his return.

It took me so long to warm up to Jimmy. For most of season 1 I didn't like him, thought he was being played too wooden. But then as his story unfolded and he had those moments of violence/pain/sorrow and I learned more of the story behind him I just see his whole arc as masterfully done by the writers and especially the actor.

And yes I know Jimmy wasn't originally supposed to die so soon but I think his arc ended at the right time even though by that point if I didn't love Jimmy as a character I really, really liked him.

Archived