The Ashes 2010/11

Stubby

England still have a long way to go in terms of improvement, spcially if they want to be #1 in test cricket.

I'm not sure that there's much between England and a fairly average number one team in the world in India in my opinion, although despite what the rankings say South Africa are really the best test team in world cricket at the moment.

Well, Broad is supposedly out of the Ashes according to the commentary on cricinfo. Bit of a blow for England, although this does mean at least that they'll be able to get a game for Tremlett or whomever it is. At this rate and how their batting is going, I don't think it'll really affect them. Their second-string bowlers are doing well enough and can potentially bowl as well as Broad and although they'll lose some batting depth without him, it's not exactly as if they've needed it these first couple of games...

If they're really concerned about the batting they can go with Bresnan, while he hasn't got the potential of Broad he's more than solid plus he bowled well in the warm up game. I wouldn't be too concerned about any of the three reserve fast bowlers coming in actually but I'd give Tremlett a go.

If they're really concerned about the batting they can go with Bresnan, while he hasn't got the potential of Broad he's more than solid plus he bowled well in the warm up game. I wouldn't be too concerned about any of the three reserve fast bowlers coming in actually but I'd give Tremlett a go.

No need for Bresnan I reckon, Swann can handle 8 pretty well if need be and their batsmen are on fire, so no real need to worry about the tail. We're far removed from the days of England fielding four No. 11s in a match with Giddins, Mullaly, Tufnell and Malcolm. Australia's moving a bit too close there for comfort, though!

I'm not sure that there's much between England and a fairly average number one team in the world in India in my opinion

I agree partly. India isn't a particularly convincing #1 team. They have a very strong batting line-up with a rather average bowling attack. India haven't impressed me with their bowling as of yet. And I wonder what will happen to their batting when Sachin and Dravid retires.

England is probably a bit more balanced in terms of batting and bowling. They may have a better bowling attack, I am not convinced. It is hard to judge with this shell of an Australian team. Australia's batting line-up isn't what I thought it to be. Maybe it's because England are bowling well, but no way in hell am I gonna admit it during Ashes! :box:

although despite what the rankings say South Africa are really the best test team in world cricket at the moment.

Last I checked you guys were 4th.. :P

Blood hell, dropping a chance to get Hussey out early in the day isn't helping my nerves!

ETA:

Last I checked you guys were 4th.. :P

Yeah but I haven't really seen much of Sri Lanka playing test cricket for a while so I don't much of an opinion on them either way. Murali retiring can't help them though.

The speed gun is pretty weird, or maybe just more accurate than in England. We have Anderson bowling at high 70s or low 80s, whereas in England, even on a damp pitch in cold weather, he was registering high 80s or low 90s. Same with Finn and Broad, they're showing a smaller decrease from high 80s to mid 80s.

Well, Broad is supposedly out of the Ashes according to the commentary on cricinfo. Bit of a blow for England, although this does mean at least that they'll be able to get a game for Tremlett or whomever it is. At this rate and how their batting is going, I don't think it'll really affect them. Their second-string bowlers are doing well enough and can potentially bowl as well as Broad and although they'll lose some batting depth without him, it's not exactly as if they've needed it these first couple of games...

I'd probably go for Tremlett, I think he has a lot of potential and if the next Test has a bit more pace and bounce in the pitch then that would suit him. Bresnan doesn't look like a wicket-taker to me, Shazhad would be another option but I'd probably go for Tremlett.

I hear Katich is probably out injured for the series as well, which is a problem for Australia. Who do you think will replace him, Phil Hughes?

ETA - Haddin gone now. Marcus North is now Australia's only hope...

Yes!!! We need a 'running round the lounge like a headless chicken' emoticon for situations like this.

North has played well but that was a pretty poor shot in the end, he should be getting outside the line. His place has to be in question now, with Swann probably going to be England's key bowler Australia can't really afford to carry out of form left handers. The injury to Katich might just give him another chance though.

The speed gun is pretty weird, or maybe just more accurate than in England. We have Anderson bowling at high 70s or low 80s, whereas in England, even on a damp pitch in cold weather, he was registering high 80s or low 90s. Same with Finn and Broad, they're showing a smaller decrease from high 80s to mid 80s.

Nah, that is merely the Pompousity Effect that is widespread in English cricket ground, where English players appear better than they actually are.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go eat glass and rub chilli on my eyes in hopes of forgetting this embarrassing display of so-called batting by Australia.

Archived