NFL Thread 11

DanteGabriel

Well, looks like Miami is retaining Sparano, which a) means Harbaugh will go to Denver, SF, or stay on the Farm, and B) brings up the question: what's the most artful form by which Sparano could tell the Fins to fuck themselves and still manage to get severance? What a douche of an owner.

Jesus, are you serious?

How can Sparano command any respect there? His owner was traveling the country desperately in search of anyone better like a guy hitting on other women with his wife present at the table And players have gone public with how much they dislike playing for him. How can this end well?

Also see that the Vikings are talking with McDaniels and Singletary. I'm in favor. Kinda like the idea of Minnesota becoming a halfway house for fired coaches. Beautiful symbolism with the deflated Metrodome.

Can't tell if he's insulting Brady more or Jim Caldwell.

I think from the grammar alone he is saying that Belichick is more helpful to Brady than to Manning -- you have to make an assumption based on content for that sentence to make any sense. But in any case, he has a pretty short memory: Brady & Co. crushed the jets 45-3 so if Manning is even better, where does that leave them in the playoffs?

Harbaugh does not look dumb enough to take a job in the AFC East.

Rex Ryan put an ad online looking for well-hung black men to fuck his wife. I have nothing to add to this. I just think every time his name is mentioned that this should be mentioned too.

Since Harbaugh has apparently decided against the Dolphins this won't happen but I wanted to ask. How much trouble would the Dolphins have been in with the NFL? Directly hiring Harbaugh and then firing your previous coach would directly go against the Rooney Rule.

Since Harbaugh has apparently decided against the Dolphins this won't happen but I wanted to ask. How much trouble would the Dolphins have been in with the NFL? Directly hiring Harbaugh and then firing your previous coach would directly go against the Rooney Rule.

My understanding is that they couldn't make an official offer to Harbaugh until they had complied with Rooney. So they likely would have interviewed Hue Jackson while out in the Bay Area and made the token effort before firing Sparano.

I believe the precedent for violating the Rooney Rule was a $500,000 fine.

Also see that the Vikings are talking with McDaniels and Singletary. I'm in favor. Kinda like the idea of Minnesota becoming a halfway house for fired coaches. Beautiful symbolism with the deflated Metrodome.

I was under the impression that Leslie Frazier earned enough to hang on to his job as head coach. He did a great job as defensive coordinator with the Vikes. Also players seem to like/respect him. Well I hope they keep him on as HC. Darko... any comment?

I think they are looking at them for the Coordinator position. I would be surprised if McDaniels goes there. I would have to imagine that he has the inside track for the KC position once Weis is done.

I thought they officially announced they were retaining Leslie Frazier as the coach. :dunno: They are probably bringing in McDaniels and Singletary for interviews for coordinator positions. (Sort of like the Chiefs)

By all accounts McDaniels has learned his lesson and will wait for the right opportunity. He won't pull a Mangini and take the first job that comes his way.

I thought they officially announced they were retaining Leslie Frazier as the coach. :dunno: They are probably bringing in McDaniels and Singletary for interviews for coordinator positions. (Sort of like the Chiefs)

The stories I've seen have McDaniels up for Offensive Coordinator, but Singletary is up for linebackers coach. Big step down from the HC gig. Like Mike Tice going back to O-line coaching after he lost his head coaching job. Pretty steep fall for Singletary, given how many positive stories there were about his tough love motivational practices before the season started. I guess the rest of the league caught on to the fact that Singletary hasn't got much of a grasp of the big picture of coaching.

Yeah, they're looking at Singletary as a Linebackers coach and McDaniels as OC. Think McDaniels has his flaws but as far as the three QBs he's worked with all demonstrably improved under his schemes and coaching - definitely deserves an OC position somewhere. Lot of guys get a rep as an offensive or defensive mind but I think McDaniels is one of the few that actually is. If he ends up in Minnesota would be curious how he uses AP.

Can we assume that Vince Young is on his way to either Miami or Minnesota? That is unless the Broncos trade QB Orton :dunno: That would make things very interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Young in Dallas backing up Romo. Didn't Jones have a hard on for him?

Can anyone untangle the new OT rules for me? I see potential for all sorts of strange doings.

It's pretty simple, each team has to have at least one opportunity at a posession....

So a team wins the toss, then marches down and kicks a field goal. The other team, now has the chance to recieve a kick off and score.

The main "gotcha" is that an onside kick or flubbed kick return, counts as a possession for both teams. As does a flubbed punt return.

It's pretty simple, each team has to have at least one opportunity at a posession....

So a team wins the toss, then marches down and kicks a field goal. The other team, now has the chance to recieve a kick off and score.

The main "gotcha" is that an onside kick or flubbed kick return, counts as a possession for both teams. As does a flubbed punt return.

Ahhh. This part was not adequately absorbed by me.

Can anyone untangle the new OT rules for me? I see potential for all sorts of strange doings.

Team with first possession scores a TD - win.

Team w/ first possession gets a FG - opposing team has a possession. If they get a TD, win. If they get a FG - goes to sudden death.

If the first possession team fails to score - next score wins.

Team with first possession scores a TD - win.

Team w/ first possession gets a FG - opposing team has a possession. If they get a TD, win. If they get a FG - goes to sudden death.

If the first possession team fails to score - next score wins.

Mostly it was the onside kick play that puzzled. "Each team gets a possession". And so I heard this discussed:

Jets win toss in OT, receive and march for a FG. Jets then onside kick and recover. Game over? (Colts arguable didn't have a possession). Jets drive again? If Jets get TD, game over? (Should be. No way for Colts to score 10 in one subsequent possession). Suppose Jets kick a second FG? Colts get their possession and could score 7 for the win?

But, Bormon's post covers it all...

Mostly it was the onside kick play that puzzled. "Each team gets a possession". And so I heard this discussed:

Jets win toss in OT, receive and march for a FG. Jets then onside kick and recover. Game over? (Colts arguable didn't have a possession). Jets drive again? If Jets get TD, game over? (Should be. No way for Colts to score 10 in one subsequent possession). Suppose Jets kick a second FG? Colts get their possession and could score 7 for the win?

But, Bormon's post covers it all...

The only distinction I'd make from what was posted is that if the first possession from the kick off ends in a TD, the game is over. The team that was on defense does not get a chance to score in that situation.

Archived