NFL Thread 11

DanteGabriel

Really? According to Hard Knocks, the Jets barely had the cap space to sign decent back-ups at the beginning of the season.

No cap right now without a CBA. When another CBA is (eventually) agreed, it might include one it might not. Even if it does, the Jets will be without Cromartie, Taylor, and quite possibly LT; that's some pretty good space right there.

The main sign btw, is just that Revis and Asomugha have talked about it and apparently really want to play together; the NFL secondary version of LeBron/Wade.

No cap right now without a CBA. When another CBA is (eventually) agreed, it might include one it might not. Even if it does, the Jets will be without Cromartie, Taylor, and quite possibly LT; that's some pretty good space right there.

The main sign btw, is just that Revis and Asomugha have talked about it and apparently really want to play together; the NFL secondary version of LeBron/Wade.

You think the new CBA won't have a salary cap? Okay.

I'm not feeling cocky about this game. I do think Cromartie's an idiot. He made an ass out of himself with his refusals to tackle as a Charger against the Jets a year ago.

Not sure why Pats fans are so cocky about this game. Sure they are the rightful favorites and sure they blew out the Jets, but how soon it is forgotten that the Jets did beat the Pats, and by a pretty decent margin, earlier this year. No reason why that can't happen again. Every team had fluke losses in the regular season, look at the Pats-Browns game.

Right. But 1) I am not sure Pats fans are being all THAT cocky because the Jets D is still very good (not as good as last season) and the Pats D-line is having issues. Also, we factor in the reality that while the Pats are better than the Jets, few of us are so unreasonable as to think the Pats are 42 points better than the Jets. I don't think this game will be easy as that one was.

At the same time... 2) its not cocky to point out some obvious issues; the Pats played out of their minds over the last half of the season, going 8-0 since the aforementioned Browns game, and over the last 5 games, beginning with the Jets game, Pats outscoring their opponents 184 to 47. The Pats also, since Logan Mankins returned, average 140 yards rushing. The Pats were 14-2 overall and were 6-1 against playoff teams (only loss... to the Jets). In other words: The Pats are really good. Its not really cocky to make your team a favorite against the Jets. It will NOT be easy, but the argument really is that the Pats should win. Now will they? I think so, but sports make fools of us all.

And if the Pats somehow weren't already fired up for this game then Cromartie being an ass (and he really, really is an ass. And apparently after he signed the Jets had to advance him $500,000 so he could pay all his alimony) wouldn't get them going either.

Oh, I agree. But its something else to add to our attention. Its a lot of fun; will be 10 times as much fun if Cromartie gets torched on Sunday.

He is an ass, but you should be very glad about getting the chance to face him since signs are starting to point to Asomugha being next to Revis next season.

Peter King mentioned that of all the teams that COULD sign Asomugha it will be somebody with cap space (the salary cap is almost assuredly going to return in the NFL; its just what it will look like that has everyone in an uproar). Therefore, the team that will sign Asomugha will be the team that has a flexible cap, and the Jets do not have a flexible cap. I would be shocked if they sign him.

Being a jerk is okay as long as you are the jerk I root for.

Brady is such a meenie! The way he cheers when his team does well! Thankfully nobody in the NFL- aside from that big poo-poo head Tom Brady -cheers or celerbrates unnecessarily when they do something important. No Jets players celebrate after a sack or a score. I mean its not like the Jets players did stupid dances after a score in Week 2 or anything... wait...

I don't quite get how Jets players could be angry that Brady "points" to them after he throws a TD. Is it a douchey thing to do? Sure. Is it any more douchey than doing a dance over Tom Brady after you sack him? Than celebrating like an idiot when you score a touchdown or make any type of football play on the field?

Methinks the Jets are looking for something, anything, from the Patriots to make themselves feel better about being the biggest shit-talking group (who had their asses completely handed to them last time they played the Pats) in the NFL.

Yep...

You think the new CBA won't have a salary cap? Okay.

I'm just stating the possibility that it might not. Or it might be a soft cap complete with 1:1 dollar luxury tax or something to that effect. Or maybe it will go into effect after this free agency. My main thought though is that the Jets signed several 1-year contracts before this season and I doubt many of those players will be brought back. Without them there should be plenty of space for Asomugha, especially if its a cleverly crafted back-loaded deal.

No salary cap though might just be what it takes to convince players to go for an 18-game season.

Right. But 1) I am not sure Pats fans are being all THAT cocky because the Jets D is still very good (not as good as last season) and the Pats D-line is having issues. Also, we factor in the reality that while the Pats are better than the Jets, few of us are so unreasonable as to think the Pats are 42 points better than the Jets. I don't think this game will be easy as that one was.

At the same time... 2) its not cocky to point out some obvious issues; the Pats played out of their minds over the last half of the season, going 8-0 since the aforementioned Browns game, and over the last 5 games, beginning with the Jets game, Pats outscoring their opponents 184 to 47. The Pats also, since Logan Mankins returned, average 140 yards rushing. The Pats were 14-2 overall and were 6-1 against playoff teams (only loss... to the Jets). In other words: The Pats are really good. Its not really cocky to make your team a favorite against the Jets. It will NOT be easy, but the argument really is that the Pats should win. Now will they? I think so, but sports make fools of us all.

See the truth is that once again I made the assumption that you are actually Bill Simmons and that on your/his most recent podcasts you/he sure sounded rather cocky about the game.

I definitely agree that the Jets are underdogs and there are plenty of stats that show how good the Pats have been but I still can quite easily see the Jets winning. After the Seahawks-Saints game we should all be ready for any upsets, but people seem to already be penciling in Pats-Steelers in the AFC Championship

I definitely agree that the Jets are underdogs and there are plenty of stats that show how good the Pats have been but I still can quite easily see the Jets winning. After the Seahawks-Saints game we should all be ready for any upsets, but people seem to already be penciling in Pats-Steelers in the AFC Championship

I will admit to hoping that we get Pats-Steelers, but I'm in no way confident that the steelers will beat the ravens. Are a lot of people really predicting that? I haven't been paying much attention to the media coverage.

We SHOULD beat them, but there's no outcome of that game that could surprise me in the least.

I completely agree. However, I think it will be a Ravens-Pats AFC Championship game (to my chagrin)

Look, its the playoffs. Each team, at this point, is very, very good. And even in the case of the Seahawks, their win over the Saints, while an upset, is not any stranger than their win, on the road, against Chicago earlier this season, or the Browns' win over the Pats. Every team is good; their players get paid to. And this season where parity was the buzz-word, NOBODY can say that one team is THAT much better that any other, especially at this level. If the Jets beat the Pats, I will be surprised (or surprised for as long as it will take me to jump into traffic), but no more surprised than with any other moderate upset.

And in fact the game I thin is the biggest lock of the week would not be the Pats over the Jets but the Bears over the Seahawks. But I'm sure the Saints thought something similar last week.

I will admit to hoping that we get Pats-Steelers, but I'm in no way confident that the steelers will beat the ravens. Are a lot of people really predicting that? I haven't been paying much attention to the media coverage.

We SHOULD beat them, but there's no outcome of that game that could surprise me in the least.

I am looking forward to and dreading the anticipated violence the Steelers-Ravens game will produce.

And I'm building up an appropiate amount of hate to spew at my TV which isn't too difficult being that we're playing Baltimore.

And in fact the game I thin is the biggest lock of the week would not be the Pats over the Jets but the Bears over the Seahawks. But I'm sure the Saints thought something similar last week.

It's true, which is why the Bears loss to the Seahawks in Week 6 ends up being very important. The Bears won't underestimate this team (I freaking hope) because of the previous defeat.

Things do look good for the Bears, though, because it's a completely different- and better- team than the one that played back then.

Lance Briggs missed the previous game, but will be playing in this one.

Likewise, the offensive line was in the middle of it's third or fourth change up at the time, which helped lead to the Seahawks getting six sacks. The line still sucks, but it's at least almost adequate now rather than freaking horrific and the group has been together for nine consecutive games which counts for something. I'm not sure what, but something.

Maybe most importantly, Mike Martz got the memo that a balanced offensive attack is the key to winning. Forte's carries, yards, and YPC all greatly improved. He's quietly had a good season - 1616 all purpose yards and 9 TDs compared to 1715 all purpose yards and 12 TDs his rookie year - and he did it on 90 fewer touches. If he got those extra touches and maintained his YPC average, he'd have ended the season with the third most rushing yards in the league.

So yeah, the Bears are a different team than the one that faced the Seahawks three months ago. They're a better team. But so were the Saints, and they'll be sitting at home on Sunday.

Well damn, I just heard Damien Woody got placed on IR and is going to have surgery on his Achilles tendon. Not good. We lost Jim Leonhard right before the last Pats and proceeded to get blown out, so now I expect the same result.

I am looking forward to and dreading the anticipated violence the Steelers-Ravens game will produce.

And I'm building up an appropiate amount of hate to spew at my TV which isn't too difficult being that we're playing Baltimore.

We are not only on the same page, we are using the same font, and highlighting the same sentences.

It will likely be a great game to watch in the way that games between very physical teams with a genuine dislike for each other usually are.

I just want to take this oppertunity to thank Alonzo, Keris, Myjunia, Tyler, London, Lelani, and, Jersey's *** father saying something funny.

According to the story, Cromartie hates Tom Brady, calls him an asshole, and is sick of Brady pointing to the sidelines when the Pats score.

The part I liked was when asked whether Brady throws in his direction, Cromartie responded: "He knows better." So I'm confused, did Brady not throw in his direction when they put 45 on the Jets? Was he throwing at Revis instead? Or does he mean: He knows better than to make me look like a fool.

Anyway, I'm all for it because it adds more fuel to the fire of the ongoing drama for this game. Thought we already had plenty with Rex Ryan saying this is all about him and Belichick, and Belichick responding how he's got some quickness on him. But this is even better, because this we'll be decided on the field rather than a possibly awkward handshake.

Also, Brady responded:

Belichick has called me [an a--hole], Brady said. My OC has called me that. They like me, so maybe he likes me.

Gisele too?

ETA: Suggs also has a message for Pittsburgh. Fuck, the AFC matchups will be great.

The part I liked was when asked whether Brady throws in his direction, Cromartie responded: "He knows better." So I'm confused, did Brady not throw in his direction when they put 45 on the Jets? Was he throwing at Revis instead? Or does he mean: He knows better than to make me look like a fool.

Anyway, I'm all for it because it adds more fuel to the fire of the ongoing drama for this game. Thought we already had plenty with Rex Ryan saying this is all about him and Belichick, and Belichick responding how he's got some quickness on him. But this is even better, because this we'll be decided on the field rather than a possibly awkward handshake.

Also, Brady responded:

Gisele too?

ETA: Suggs also has a message for Pittsburgh. Fuck, the AFC matchups will be great.

Saw that earlier.

here's Woodley's facebook picture..

heh....

I'm actually expecting a pretty big letdown in both games. I don't think Baltimore or the Jets match up well, and all the shit talking doesn't mean shit when the game is actually unbalanced.

OK, I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but since the Pats are most people's favorites, imagine what another Super Bowl will do for Brady's legacy. He would now have four rings in five visits along with another trip to the AFC title game. I think he would be squarely in the discussion for best QB of all time, but with a number of good years still remaining.

Pretty much.

Though I would argue (and have) he's already in the discussion. Another ring would just make that drumbeat louder.

Saw that earlier.

here's Woodley's facebook picture..

heh....

He's going to sack Bert?!

I'm actually expecting a pretty big letdown in both games. I don't think Baltimore or the Jets match up well, and all the shit talking doesn't mean shit when the game is actually unbalanced.

Maybe Jets-Pats, but what makes you say that about Baltimore-Pittsburgh? The two games this year were as close as close can be.

Actually similar to the "Manning sucks because he hasn't won when people expected him to" thing, I think that Brady winning a superbowl this year would make only a slightly stronger case because the expectation is so high for him. It's similar to Brady being knocked down a peg after 2007; the expectation was that he wins the game easily, yet they choked it away (I dont' think Brady specifically did, but I do think the Pats did). That hurt him much more than showing up did at all.

The Pats offense has been so played up as this unstoppable, amazing force that anything other than a superbowl win will be a disappointment, and a fairly large one. Especially against the mediocrity that is the NFC this year. I mean...would it be a huge victory to have the Pats beat Atlanta? How about Chicago? Green Bay? Seattle? Meh. None of those teams are as important or as viewed as great compared to Pittsburgh or the Jets or really anyone. It's a 1-horse race.

Maybe Jets-Pats, but what makes you say that about Baltimore-Pittsburgh? The two games this year were as close as close can be.

Because I don't think Baltimore is that great of a team, they barely beat Pittsburgh with Charlie Batch playing and they've done nothign to make me think they'll win in Pittsburgh when they lost at home to Pittsburgh. I don't think Pitt is that great a team either ,but they're better than Baltimore.

Throwing Cromartie's way would be foolish. The gap between him and the receiver will be sufficiently large that the WR would not stand a chance of catching the ball if Brady threw it toward Cromartie.

The Pats offense has been so played up as this unstoppable, amazing force that anything other than a superbowl win will be a disappointment, and a fairly large one. Especially against the mediocrity that is the NFC this year. I mean...would it be a huge victory to have the Pats beat Atlanta? How about Chicago? Green Bay? Seattle? Meh. None of those teams are as important or as viewed as great compared to Pittsburgh or the Jets or really anyone. It's a 1-horse race.

Yeah, if he puts up basically the two greatest seasons ever by a QB and doesn't have a ring to show for either, that'll hurt pretty bad*. Even worse because every other team in the field this year is seen as flawed. Not another great team to really matchup against.

*though I still think the 2007 Super Bowl is the height of extenuating circumstances. Ridiculous, ridiculous game.

Because I don't think Baltimore is that great of a team, they barely beat Pittsburgh with Charlie Batch playing and they've done nothign to make me think they'll win in Pittsburgh when they lost at home to Pittsburgh. I don't think Pitt is that great a team either ,but they're better than Baltimore.

The second game the Ravens had won until Polamalu made one of the absurd plays he always seems to make. If he didn't make that play Pittsburgh would be traveling to Baltimore this week and our perception of favorite/underdog would be like a mirror image.

Throwing Cromartie's way would be foolish. The gap between him and the receiver will be sufficiently large that the WR would not stand a chance of catching the ball if Brady threw it toward Cromartie.

:lol:

The second game the Ravens had won until Polamalu made one of the absurd plays he always seems to make. If he didn't make that play Pittsburgh would be traveling to Baltimore this week and our perception of favorite/underdog would be like a mirror image.
And if Pittsburgh didn't have Polamalu I'd say Baltimore has a chance or likely does win. But Pitt does, so I doubt Baltimore will win. It'll be a close game of sorts simply because they're both two defensive teams with not a great offense between them, but I don't think the outcome is going to be much of a surprise.

I hope that Baltimore wins because I think they match up far better against the Pats than Pittsburgh does; Baltimore has a much better OLine, more opportunistic defense and more options to pass to than Pitt does. But I don't see that happening.

Safeties are often way up there in interceptions because of when they get them - as the cleanup guy on batted balls or (more often) as the second cover person who is taking an inside technique while the corner has the receiver over the top. Or as a deep post/fly defender playing under technique. Ed Reed is great, don't get me wrong, but those interceptions aren't really about him so much as the corner allowing him to get them.

Archived