Reading on the Kindle

Guest Raidne

I love my Kindle, but will continue to buy selected printed books to keep signed, pristine and displayed.

My main gripe is that I'd love the cover of the current e-book I'm reading to be displayed when the Kindle is switched off, rather than a generic pic of Agatha Christie etc.

My main gripe is that I'd love the cover of the current e-book I'm reading to be displayed when the Kindle is switched off, rather than a generic pic of Agatha Christie etc.

Yes. If I haven't said this already I just forgot to. I think this is my #1 complaint. But it is fixable.

Care to explain.

Alas, what I meant was that Amazon could fix this at any time just by updating the content and with a software update, not that a person should laboriously upload their covers and transfer them over.

Purchased a Kindle a few months ago, and reading hasn't been the same since. When I purchase books, I do so for the sake of content, not the container. The smell of paper fades, covers change, and one size never seems to fit all.

When I purchase a hardcover, I feel the need to remove the cover when I read, then I worry about keeping the novel balanced (keeping a 700 page novel positioned comfortably when I'm only 50 pages in borders on futility, sometimes). If I don't puchase an HC or TPB, I'm stuck trying to enjoy a novel with print spreading so far into the margins it's practically tickling the binding. Twice in the last year I've had paperbacks fall apart in my hands because I had to pry the books so far open. If I never hold another dead tree edition of a book again, you won't hear me complain.

The Kindle isn't without its flaws though. Folders and content management is a PITA. E-ink, though revolutionary in terms of reading, makes file and folder navigation feel like working with an old commodore 64. I also want the Kindle to remain a true single-use device. Screw web-surfing and game playing, keep the Kindle simple. The less necessary a keyboard becomes, the more screen real-estate we can employ.

"I never really understood why people go so nuts about signatures. Particularly for stuff they didn't get signed themselves."

Agree - but I do get them signed myself..... currently I collect Joe Abercrombie & GRRM. That includes Sub Press editions which usually come signed, but to my mind are sumptious artifacts to covet in their own right, signed or not.

Does anyone else here have experience with multiple e-book readers? I have the nook and my wife has a kindle. After playing around with both, I think I like the Nook better... it just feels more "book-like" than the Kindle. I hate the keyboard on on the Kindle and I like being able to change the pages by swiping my finger over the touch screen of the Nook.

All this being said, the screen clarity and page flip speed seem to be about the same, so functionally there doesn't appear to be any difference.

... and I agree with the previous poster, MMPB is my favorite format to read a book in.

Alas, what I meant was that Amazon could fix this at any time just by updating the content and with a software update, not that a person should laboriously upload their covers and transfer them over.

Or they could do something smart for once and make that screensaver into book reviews/description advertising space, paid for by publishers, and drop the price of the Kindle to closer to where it should be, which is completely free with a commitment to buy 5 e-books from them.

Not that I want to see ads, but that's just how I'm wired at this point. Besides, the hackers could still hack and people like my Mom could get sold on new books without having to ask Oprah.

Does anyone else here have experience with multiple e-book readers? I have the nook and my wife has a kindle. After playing around with both, I think I like the Nook better... it just feels more "book-like" than the Kindle. I hate the keyboard on on the Kindle and I like being able to change the pages by swiping my finger over the touch screen of the Nook.

All this being said, the screen clarity and page flip speed seem to be about the same, so functionally there doesn't appear to be any difference.

... and I agree with the previous poster, MMPB is my favorite format to read a book in.

I prefer the Nook. We had a thread on this a while back, might want to search for that one... we hashed it out pretty well. Tried my darndest to get Radine to buy a Nook, but she went with the evil Kindle.

I went with the Nook for several reasons and did it now because being able to access my sanity (books) whenever I want and have them with me made me feel more secure. I think I still prefer books, but I gotta admit...being able to take all I want with me for a mere 1lb? Pretty slick. Plus, that they are stored then in the cloud and not a dusty box in a barn? Not bad, either. It does lack the romanticism of books (The crack when you first open them, the smell, the feel, the weight...even the history of a book being the one with you when something happened in your life) but it has a lot going for it as far as accessibility and in a lot of cases, price. I'm not a full convert but I do appreciate the ease of it.

I went with the Nook for several reasons and did it now because being able to access my sanity (books) whenever I want and have them with me made me feel more secure.

What does the Nook do for you in this respect that the Kindle doesn't

I liked that it had color. I'm a color whore. I liked that I could pick it up at my local store and therefore go right back in with it if something happened to it. It has expandable storage and I had read it was the only one that could handle public domain books. You have to get them off Google Books if you can't find them through BN, but that's not a biggie. I'm generally a pretty loyal Amazoner but these little things changed my mind on the readers. It might not be so important to someone else. Plus, I just liked the look of it better. Not having that keyboard on it allows you to have more screen space. I think it was also more flexible than the Kindle in that you can change the fonts and background colors and whatnot. I could be wrong about that. A friend told me you can't turn the Kindle off completely, is that true? I don't like that idea.

I don't know, do these things help?

Or did you mean the security thing? There would be no real difference there...that was just why I did it now.

I liked that it had color. I'm a color whore. I liked that I could pick it up at my local store and therefore go right back in with it if something happened to it. It has expandable storage and I had read it was the only one that could handle public domain books. You have to get them off Google Books if you can't find them through BN, but that's not a biggie. I'm generally a pretty loyal Amazoner but these little things changed my mind on the readers. It might not be so important to someone else. Plus, I just liked the look of it better. Not having that keyboard on it allows you to have more screen space. I think it was also more flexible than the Kindle in that you can change the fonts and background colors and whatnot. I could be wrong about that. A friend told me you can't turn the Kindle off completely, is that true? I don't like that idea.

Or did you mean the security thing? There would be no real difference there...that was just why I did it now.

You bought the Nook Color for reading books? Bad move my friend. That shit's gonna fry your eyes, and it's terrible in the sunlight. I've got my iPad for my color fix and my Nook (e ink) for my books. Didn't the the salesperson tell you that the nook color was designed primarily for reading magazines and comics?

I liked the Nook better than the Kindle, but got the Kindle because of the convenience of buying things from Amazon.

I still haven't unpacked most of the books that I moved a year and a half ago. I'm much more inclined now toward giving books away before the next move and getting them on the Kindle if I really want them that much.

The screen doesn't bother me because I stare at computers all day. Not an issue for me at all, I'm way too used to it. Plus, I never read outside really. I have practically translucent skin. The sun and I do not get along so glare isn't really an issue. I tone the brightness way down and it has a night time setting as well. I don't really leave it on the bright white, either. I choose one of the "duller" page colors. I suspect that once my personal troubles are over I will be primarily reading regular books again, but I do confess, the ability to get the magazine mess out of my house was definitely a draw. I haven't tried one yet, though. I've only had it a week. I'm still learning.

Does the Kindle let you download samples? I love that feature. The book I'm reading on it now was a result of a sample download. I also need to figure out how to get stuff off it...I downloaded something thinking it was going to be legible in a foreign language and the alphabet did not translate! :lol: Live and learn. At least it was a freebie!

Kindles have 3G (well, there are wi-fi only models now) so you could redownload books wherever anyway. (Even if you just have the wi-fi only model, you can do this at any wi-fi hotspot.) So that's pretty meaningless.

It is definitely an issue that the Kindle doesn't support the ePUB format, that is annoying. But so far I haven't cared. Amazon serves up plenty of public domain books though.

You can change the Kindle's font size but not, as far as I know, the font.

The Kindle does have a keyboard, but the Nook has a shitty little second touchscreen so maybe that's a wash.

The idea that you "can't turn the Kindle off completely" is meaningless nonsense. It requires no power to hold an image on the screen. When you put the Kindle to sleep, it throws up an image from its stock set, and leaves it up.

Does the Kindle let you download samples? I love that feature. The book I'm reading on it now was a result of a sample download.

Yes.

Archived