Soccer XXVI

Renasko

steven ireland to the magpies. not sure how i feel about that. strengthening the midfield is a good idea, but i am not sure if he was the answer.

i'd have rather had another defender. Ireland is clearly taleneted (player of the year at city in his last season IIRC) but a bit of a dick

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1218054/Touch-class-Footballer-buys-Wag-girlfriend-264-000-pimped-Bentley.html

i don't see him and Ben Arfa in the same team when Ben Arfa returns (and i think Hatem is far more talented player). but more options are never a bad thing and if he sorts his attitude out i think we would probably get a bargain on him if he signed long term.

Also just seen that Osasuna beat real madrid tonight. brilliant.

Spurs make a profit or close to it most years. Our money comes from our turnover and tight wage structure.

i know, its a well run club (and my shitty club, shitty ground thing was said tongue in cheek) but having the money to buy a player for more than man utd, city or chelsea have ever paid for a player amazes me. what was the previous biggest expenditure on a player? i can't remeber spurs ever spending much more than about 13-15 million off the top of my head.

edit, if they have got the money fair play to them, if it helps break the hedgemoney of the traditional top 4 i'm all in favour.

Spurs see a lot of money coming in and going out of the club. It's a little hard to imagine where the source originates, the raising Sky TV money is a huge influence. I suppose they have money over for one big player, but they're cutting it fine. Last year, they had one of the biggest wage totals in the EPL (6th) and the addition of VdV and Pienaar can't have been cheap.

Edit: But they most be in good shape, otherwise they would've accepted Wolfsburg's offer for Krancjar and/or Inter's bid for Bale.

i know, its a well run club (and my shitty club, shitty ground thing was said tongue in cheek) but having the money to buy a player for more than man utd, city or chelsea have ever paid for a player amazes me. what was the previous biggest expenditure on a player? i can't remeber spurs ever spending much more than about 13-15 million off the top of my head.

edit, if they have got the money fair play to them, if it helps break the hedgemoney of the traditional top 4 i'm all in favour.

Modric for £16m is the record. In the past we've bought 3-4 players a window (ridiculous really), add in some CL money and we could probably spend £40m if we had to.

To quote from 'the Swiss Ramble':

The club’s motto is famously, “To dare is to do”, but do they simply dare to remember? After all, the annual report concludes with a reminder that next year is the 50th anniversary of the last time Spurs won the league. Or will they risk a lot of money and dare to dream?

They're one of the few clubs that can. With United looking shaky, Chelsea in turmoil, Liverpool in barren land, Arsenal still figuring things out and City busy playing around in the transfer market...the opportunity is better than ever.

I only saw highlights of the game, but there were at least two times when Robben took an impossible shot instead of passing to the open man. I guess stuff like that just comes with the territory with dribblers. Sometimes they beat three defenders and score an amazing goal, others they'll hand over possession trying to do too much themselves.

There's no doubt that Müller was right and there is also no doubt that trying to do it alone is what you can expect from a player like Robben, but how the hell does he not keep his composure after a victory and phyiscally attacks a teammate (in front of cameras, no less)?

Spurs seem pretty desperate for a striker, reports of bids for Aguero, Rossi and a couple of others. They've got Pav/Crouch/Defoe, atm, I suppose it depends on what system they want to go with.

Keane to West Ham is hopefully good news for Ireland too, god he's declined rapidly(well not so rapidly, been on the way down since 2002, I'd say) but he'll be picked so hopefully he'll be more sharp now with some games.

Hmm not so sure, I think a top top class centre half could be better. They've a fair few, but I don't rate all of them that highly.

If they play VDV, then playing 2 up front will be difficult, as he plays better in that behind the front man position, 2 up front with Bale/Lennon/Pienaar gives them options though, but yeah Pienaar was an odd one, they've already got Krancjar, who I think is about the same level as Pienaar.

aparently liverpool have offered £30 million for carroll. a lot of money for a one season wonder (so far). they must be offloading torres, no way have they got the money for suarez and caroll otherwise.

if he leaves i'd rather it was for spurs, at least he would be getting champions league football, cant see liverpool finishing top 4 for the next 3 or 4 seasons at least.

If they play VDV, then playing 2 up front will be difficult, as he plays better in that behind the front man position,

I think that's the problem. None of their strikers are really suited to playing one up top. Admittedly neither are Rossi or Aguero particularly but they'll get more out of them I think than the players they do have.

Your island has indeed gone mad. ;)

Don't be such a pessimist. I mean, the finances are predicated upon an ever increasing income stream, even after an unprecedented decade-long boom, tied to out-of-control wages and bonuses, underwritten by largely absent corporations and individuals without any particular loyalty to the locations in which they operate.

In the absence of any comparable industry and situation in recent history, I think the sensible thing to do is assume all will be well.

Newcastle have apparently rejected an improved bid of 35 million for Andy Carrol. Bloody hell. I'd expect a third bid of 40 million to come in, which will no doubt be accepted. He's worth about half that in reality. :rolleyes:

However, in the long run, I feel Liverpool will be better off with Suarez and Carroll than an injury-stricken and disaffected Torres.

ETA: Done deal.

My head's spinning. I've been sick with a stomach flu for the past couple of days, so I can't decide how I feel about Torres, Suarez and Carroll isolated from the background nausea and misery. Well, I felt good about Suarez, it's the latest twist that I'm not yet ready to cope with.

Spurs were entertainingly bad yesterday. A team that only seemed to field strikers at one stage now only seems to field midfielders.

Archived