Soccer XXVI

Renasko

Speaking of Milan, van Bommel introduced himself to Serie A in style by getting sent off in his first league game

Indeed. I think Bayern will miss him though.

I suppose he will be replaced by either Timochuk ( sp.) or Ottl, neither of which are near his level of play or have anywhere near his experience. Bayern just lost their Captain.

Robben very important for Bayern again. He's only just back and already such a great player to see in action. 3 points were deserved in the end. Borussia is too far away to have any chance of the title, so I expect Bayern to finish second and focus on the CL.

I suppose he will be replaced by either Timochuk ( sp.) or Ottl, neither of which are near his level of play or have anywhere near his experience. Bayern just lost their Captain.

Robben very important for Bayern again. He's only just back and already such a great player to see in action. 3 points were deserved in the end. Borussia is too far away to have any chance of the title, so I expect Bayern to finish second and focus on the CL.

i have always like van bommel. he is a hard-nosed physical player who has a very good shot. he can be a good deal reckless with his challenges and has collected a lot of unneeded bookings, but still i enjoy his football.

i do love robben. he is just so clutch. that man just seems to find goals when his team needs them. his only downfall is that his legs are clearly made of glass and he finds himself on the treatment table a bit too often.

when will we see the full strength of the bayern attack? i long to see robben, ribery, schweiny, muller and gomez all together on the pitch.

when will we see the full strength of the bayern attack? i long to see robben, ribery, schweiny, muller and gomez all together on the pitch.

I don't think they would play in a starting line-up even if they were all fit. Now they play Mueller, Gomez and Robben upfront, which when everybody is fit, is the best they have. Olic is still injured, Klose is on the bench, and now with Robben back, once Ribery returns from his injury he is probably going to find himself benched. Schweinsteiger's place is guaranteed of course.

So Spurs are focusing on the league?

They might miss him at some point (and any football pundit will immediately say so as soon as they are struggling in any game for the rest of the season), but the reason they sold him was that they weren't planning on using him much any more. They signed Luiz Gustavo as his replacement early in the window. And he is no slouch in collecting cards, either.

Robben apparently wasn't impressed with Müller criticising him for being selfish during the game and attacked him after the final whistle. Despite the fact that they had just won an important away game. Bayern may be in third place, but there is something seriously wrong with the atmosphere at the club at the moment, it seems.

I don't think they would play in a starting line-up even if they were all fit. Now they play Mueller, Gomez and Robben upfront, which when everybody is fit, is the best they have. Olic is still injured, Klose is on the bench, and now with Robben back, once Ribery returns from his injury he is probably going to find himself benched. Schweinsteiger's place is guaranteed of course.

They usually play a 4-2-3-1, with Schweinsteiger + one other (probably Gustavo) making up the two more defensive midfielders and ideally Robben, Müller and Ribéry the three attacking ones. Which then leaves Gómez, Klose and Olić fighting for the single striker spot.

That'd be a great move for both the player and Villa. I rate him, as well, so I'd like to see him in the league.

ETA: A much better team player to have than Stephen Ireland. :thumbsdown: I'm interested to see how Newcastle manage that disaster of a professional.

Just after watching Ossasuna's win against Real Madrid in La Liga. Difficult game for Madrid, as Ossasuna defended so well and were organisationally fantastic. Even when Mourinho subbed on Alonso, Kaka and Adebayor, after they went behind, there was no real hope for Madrid. They failed to carve open chances and were frustrated into making long-range efforts. Ronaldo hasn't scored in a couple of weeks now and the club's fortunes have changed in pattern. They're 7 points behind Barca, and truth be told, unlikely to beat them.

I think Muntari is an odd signing and I know nothing about Sessegnon.

Sessègnon was universally lauded for his first season in Paris, but since then it's like he's stopped caring and trying. I guess he'll be motivated for his first league debut, but it wouldn't be past him to ceaste trying if things go wrong or he doesn't feel loved enough or he just gets bored...

Hope Sunderland is going to get the most of him, but Paris didn't sell him at a loss (they bought him for about 8 million €) for no reason.

Robben apparently wasn't impressed with Müller criticising him for being selfish during the game and attacked him after the final whistle. Despite the fact that they had just won an important away game. Bayern may be in third place, but there is something seriously wrong with the atmosphere at the club at the moment, it seems.

I only saw highlights of the game, but there were at least two times when Robben took an impossible shot instead of passing to the open man. I guess stuff like that just comes with the territory with dribblers. Sometimes they beat three defenders and score an amazing goal, others they'll hand over possession trying to do too much themselves.

Athletico have apparently rejected a bid from Spurs for Sergio Aguero (38.5 million quid according to Sky Sports News) how the fuck have spurs got that sort of money? They are a shitty little club with a shitty little ground, one season of Champions league money cannot be giving that sort of spending power.

Interesting comments coming forth by the Atletico president:

"Offers, we have no offers, and we are not a selling club, we want to continue with these players that serve us well."

Could've fooled me. Money will get them, once again...it's a matter of time.

As for Spurs, I think they are mad to be offering that kind of money for anyone. They've an expensive enough team acquired. How're they expecting to maintain things? Their stadium is pretty mediocre and can't be raising much revenue. As BFC said, a season of CL football (something they're unlikely to see again, for some time) can't be enough to help them compete with the top guns in Europe.

ETA: I don't follow Italian football anymore, so I never noticed this before. They're sponsored by 'Wind'? :D

Archived