Aussies LIII

Paxter

Nah, driving up after work Thursday arvo and coming home either late Sunday or Monday morning. I was meant to be going up with a mate but he might be staying longer. So now I'm a bit hesitant to drive all that way by myself.

It'll be the drive home that'll suck. I suggest coffee, lots of coffee.

Should be awesome though :thumbsup:

OK so I am at work getting loaded with some concrete for delivery and I get a phone call from the guy who is hiring for the Roxby Downs job. Turns out I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!

One small problem the team leader at Roxby has decided to give the guy who currently has the job one last chance.

So the current situation is that if I still want the job when he messes up again then I have got it. I figure 6 months.

So no I won't make the sydney meet as much as I would love to.

OK so I am at work getting loaded with some concrete for delivery and I get a phone call from the guy who is hiring for the Roxby Downs job. Turns out I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!

One small problem the team leader at Roxby has decided to give the guy who currently has the job one last chance.

So the current situation is that if I still want the job when he messes up again then I have got it. I figure 6 months.

So no I won't make the sydney meet as much as I would love to.

Griff the Gangsta. Ayyyyy bitchaaaas! :smoking:

@GS: Congrats mate :cheers:.

Where's Paxter? I need a chance to gloat.

I'm impervious to any gloating from Cats supporters - we would've won that game comfortably if Mayne and/or Pav could actually kick straight :thumbsdown:.

@Malt: Did you watch the GC Suns' game? I did tell you to pick the Dockers as your team...

And yeah, I also picked up tix to see a certain Robert Zimmerman in Perth in a couple of weeks' time. I'm not a fan of some of the other big names playing at the Blues 'n' Roots this year (Grace Jones? Really?), but it'll be worth it just to see Shelter from the Storm or Not Dark Yet performed live.

@Malt: Did you watch the GC Suns' game? I did tell you to pick the Dockers as your team...

Not yet, but I have seen the score. I saw a couple of the pre-season games, and they seemed to be a reasonable standard compared to their opponents, but that is just embarassing. Still, when you decide to support the team of n00bs, you have to expect it to take a while for them to get up to the standard of everyone else.

Well, I've watched the game, and even as a relative novice to AFL, I could see that a lot of the Carlton goals came from what appeared to be rookie mistakes by the Suns - dropped catches, misdirected kicks, and suchlike. I'm sure in a year or two, once they've got the experience of playing in the big league, they'll be much more competitive. There were a couple of points where everything seemed to come together - there was one point in particular in Q3 where they scored three goals in a row. I think the Mateera kid (hope I spelled his name right) is probably going to becom one of their big star names.

On a more general note, there seem to be a lot more Aborigines in the AFL than there are in rugby or cricket. Granted, I'm only really familiar with the Aussie national teams and not the domestic competitions in those sports, but I can't think offhand of any Aboriginal players in those sports. Would it be fair to make a comparison with the South African situtation, where rugby and cricket were always the white man's games, and the blacks all played football?

Well, I've watched the game, and even as a relative novice to AFL, I could see that a lot of the Carlton goals came from what appeared to be rookie mistakes by the Suns - dropped catches, misdirected kicks, and suchlike. I'm sure in a year or two, once they've got the experience of playing in the big league, they'll be much more competitive. There were a couple of points where everything seemed to come together - there was one point in particular in Q3 where they scored three goals in a row. I think the Mateera kid (hope I spelled his name right) is probably going to becom one of their big star names.

On a more general note, there seem to be a lot more Aborigines in the AFL than there are in rugby or cricket. Granted, I'm only really familiar with the Aussie national teams and not the domestic competitions in those sports, but I can't think offhand of any Aboriginal players in those sports. Would it be fair to make a comparison with the South African situtation, where rugby and cricket were always the white man's games, and the blacks all played football?

Well our most loud mouthed Australian athlete is Aboriginal Anthony the mouth Mundine and he was a NRL player before slimming down for boxing. The guy had stacked on weight to be 85kg as a rugby player. Most Aboriginals have lean builds.

As for the weekends results, Dockers may have gone down, but it was close and they are second to West Coast for me and I'm happy with how they went. I do feel sorry for the gold coast boys though. Missed teh Swans game.

I don't think that the South African situation is directly comparable since Black Africans make up around 80% of the SA population while Aboriginal people make up only around 2.2-2.4% of ours. This means that you wouldn't really expect a high proportion of Aboriginal players in any Aussie sport (whereas the opposite applies in SA). Having said that, I'd say that AFL has always been the sport of choice for young Aboriginal children since (like football) it can be played any time, anywhere simply by grabbing a ball and rounding up a few mates to have a kick. AFAIK, Jason Gillespie is the only person of Aboriginal descent to play test cricket.

I don't think that the South African situation is directly comparable since Black Africans make up around 80% of the SA population while Aboriginal people make up only around 2.2-2.4% of ours. This means that you wouldn't really expect a high proportion of Aboriginal players in any Aussie sport (whereas the opposite applies in SA). Having said that, I'd say that AFL has always been the sport of choice for young Aboriginal children since (like football) it can be played any time, anywhere simply by grabbing a ball and rounding up a few mates to have a kick.

Plus with Rugby, the majority of players come through the private school system. Hence hardly any aboriginals.

Archived