Aussies LIII

Paxter

I'm just confused in general. This thread moves too quickly for me.

Pax/ Plumm, about 70% of my clients are international students. Your debate was interesting but then I had too many things I wanted to say and forgot them before I could log in and reply. Plus I didn't read the article so I shouldn't really comment.

Finding a job is very hard for international students after they graduate, and with all the recent and upcoming changes to the Skilled Migration Program, they're going to need post-qualification work experience and excellent English to get a permanent residency visa. So in some aspects, whether or not they're getting marked at a different standard and getting through with poor English is moot.

I can't believe the world cup is still on. It's been months. I thought these sorts of tournaments should be four weeks, tops?

Footy back on tonight. Thank goodness!

I'm about 10 minutes' free time away from buying a kindle. I've received muchos advice from a friend of mine as to how to access the US catalogue of books rather than the Australian catalogue (about half as extensive), but just wanted to know if anybody here had any first hand experience?

Ta!

x

So I still have no idea how I'm going to vote on Saturday. I had nearly resigned myself to voting Lib despite the fact O'Farrell is a moron but then we stuff like this...

Mr Clarke, a right-wing faction leader, addressed the audience with a preacher's fervour, telling them the Greens were ''a party of evil, a party of darkness''. ''They're not going to have any easy victories in this Parliament over the next four years,'' he said. ''There is only one way the side of light is going, and that's onwards and upwards.''

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/state-election-2011/nile-says-coalition-is-best-bet-20110323-1c6rq.html

and really how can I vote for a party endorsed by Fred Nile?

The nuttier candidates are amusing though, this is one of our independants (article is from last years federal election) http://express.whereilive.com.au/news/story/david-daniel-ball-blaxland-independent-candidate/

So I still have no idea how I'm going to vote on Saturday.

I'd say it doesn't hugely matter how you vote in the Lower House as yer man Ninos is a goner. Labor is going to get wiped out in Sydney while everywhere else they'll simply lose.

What matters a lot more is the Legislative Council which is very, very fringe nutter friendly: you only need 4.5% to fill a quota and if after all preferences are distributed there's still a few seats unfilled you can get up on 3% or less (hi, Shooters Party!) - there I'd just vote one for one of the three established parties or the Democrats if you're feeling nostalgic.

I'd say it doesn't hugely matter how you vote in the Lower House as yer man Ninos is a goner. Labor is going to get wiped out in Sydney while everywhere else they'll simply lose.

What matters a lot more is the Legislative Council which is very, very fringe nutter friendly: you only need 4.5% to fill a quota and if after all preferences are distributed there's still a few seats unfilled you can get up on 3% or less (hi, Shooters Party!) - there I'd just vote one for one of the three established parties or the Democrats if you're feeling nostalgic.

Yeah well see I remembered that I still haven't got around to updating my enrollment (yeah its been 3 1/2 years) so I'm actually still enrolled in Fairfield.

Which means I get to choose who will replace Joe Tripodi - joy. The labor candidate there doesn't seem impressive (at least unless you put him next to Joe) and I've never seen so many liberal signs around the district so yeah my vote is still pretty meaningless.

Labor are preferencing freddy boy in the upper house aren't they? If so it looks like the Dems and Greens for me.

So are the greens going to take Balmain and Marrickville?

The Greens are too extremist for my tastes. Can't really bring myself to vote for Liberal or Labor either.

So are the greens going to take Balmain and Marrickville?

Balmain definitely, Marrickville probably.

Verity's margin is tiny and even the fact that Jamie Parker is a Grade A, industrial-strength wanker is not going to be enough to save her. Her campaign's been woeful - highlight: 'Keep Verity' posters everywhere - 1) You didn't say why, 2) Begging the voters is never a good look, especially when they've no pity for Labor.

Carmel has a reputation for competence, which is something of a miracle in this administration. She's advantaged by Fiona Byrne being a lightweight and the Israel boycott thing sprawling into a huge political mess for her. Still, it will be right down to the wire and I'd say even money at best. The fact that they had to drag Rudd down to bag Byrne out to the Chinese community in what's a not noticeably quiet period for foreign affairs speaks volumes for the shit they're in.

Ninos has the same posters, they outnumber the ones where he admits to being a labor party member by about 4-1. His opponent sees to be mostly keeping his head down but from what I hear they are mostly just fighting some Assyrian civil war that I don't get to be involved in, other than being grateful I don't actually have to vote for any of them.

Balmain has been heading that way for a while I guess, Verity has just hastened what might have taken another few years otherwise.

It's a weird one, I think next cycle it'll be a genuine 3-wayer between the Greens, Labor and Liberal - the peninsula is turning into Mosman South something fierce.

A lot will depend on if Labor can rebuild themselves into a credible opposition. I hope they can because otherwise we're just destined for at least another decade of terrible government just with a different party.

A lot is going to depend on just who holds their seats I guess, I'm hoping Borger hangs on in Granville, they probably do need Carmel to hold on as well.

Whan might survive, and Linda Burney should be safe. Things have gotten slightly better for Robertson but he's right in it. They might salvage an AFL squad where before they were struggling to get a Twelfth Man, but I'd still say they're out for two cycles min. Rebuilding is going to be a decade's work unless the Libs do something crazy like ban alcohol or raise the school leaving age to 55.

yeah I'm more worried about them being able to keep enough people with talent to put any sort of pressure on the government than to actually win an election.

Meanwhile in Brook news, it appears that I now have a new neice :D

yeah I'm more worried about them being able to keep enough people with talent to put any sort of pressure on the government than to actually win an election.

Meanwhile in Brook news, it appears that I now have a new neice :D

Congrats brook.

I'm glad I don't live in NSW right now, I wouldn't know who to go for. It's going to be awhile before ACT has another and not sure if I'll still be here by then.

Archived