[Book Spoilers] EP102 Discussion

Ran

Great episode. There's going to be a lot to talk about. But right now I'm all upset about Lady. That scene puts me into a rage every time. And to see it screen, with sweet little Lady chained to the post....:bawl: I also liked that we got a little bit of anger and distress from Sansa (I wish she'd been allowed to put up more of a fight, though).

It was nice that this time we got a Naked Drogo and a Clothed Dany :smoking:

I too missed Ghost and the 'it should have been you' line, but I think they got Catelyn's hatred for Jon across pretty clearly. Loved the Ned and Jon goodbye scene.

Over all, the only thing that I really wish I could change would be for it to be a 2-hour episode instead of 1-hour!

To the "no Ghost" comments, I thought I caught a glimpse of Ghost before the Jon-Tyrion scene about, "Books are the whetstones of the mind".

Perhaps I'm not recalling this correctly, but when the scene starts there is a zoomed-out shot of the camp in which I believe you see Ghost. It then zooms in to Jon and Tyrion speaking. Nothing close up of Ghost that I recall, perhaps they didn't want an animal taking away from this important Tyrion scene?

I have no problem with the attempts of depicting Cersei being as sympathetic. There's plenty there to hate. If you ask me, it adds to her lack of trustworthiness. But then, these are all characters with several sides.

Actually, Cat investigating what happened to Bran is a logical outcome to the assassin. They all thought he fell, but the attempted murder would get any intelligent lord or lady thinking. So naturally she or Robb would go back to the tower. In medieval times, it was the Lord of the manor that played detective, since Robb is a teenager, this would then fall to Cat or Luwin. Finding that hair is also very logical considering what they (Lann) were doing, so a stray strand of long hair (where there should be none), in a long abandoned tower, the location of which is were Bran fell. Its an easy conclusion to come too. What I like about the Godswood scene is how Maester Luwin shuts up Robb and Theon, I smiled at that exchange.

Noticed that there was a space on the floor cleared and cleaned where the rest of the floor has dirt and leaves? then she found the hair...1 + 1 makes 2.....so Catelyn was able to piece it together. I loved it the whole episode.

To the "no Ghost" comments, I thought I caught a glimpse of Ghost before the Jon-Tyrion scene about, "Books are the whetstones of the mind".

He is there. I'm watching it again now on HBO GO, and just got to that part. So he's there, but I think she should have been there at least in the parting of the ways scene.

I missed the "it should have been you" line.

Forgot how absolutely-fucking-angry this sequence of events made me. Almost even more painful to watch it play out on the screen.

Eff you, Sansa. And Joffrey. Seriously, you deserve each other.

That was literally my only disappointment and its small so I can deal with it!

But I can't think of why they'd take out that one line? Its so perfect and solidified my hatred of Cat. Maybe thats why? They want people to like her?

Another interesting thing that Dub and I talked about during the show is that if Jon is truly the product of R+L, why didn't he tell Catelyn? He thought it might have quelled her anger and hatred of Jon. I responded that I thought it was pretty damn clear (especially the way Bean is playing Ned) that his final promise to his sister was to never reveal Jon's parentage as she feared it could mean his death. And honestly, watching Robert's tantrum about the Targaryens (instead of reading it) was proof enough to me that Ned made the right choice in protecting Jon.

Cersei didn't even really come across as sympathetic in that scene to me. She only talks about herself and casts the pall of death over Catelyn's head even more regarding her comatose son right beside her. Also we know that she was likely there to see if the kid was near dead yet. So none of that exchange bothered me at all.

That was literally my only disappointment and its small so I can deal with it!

But I can't think of why they'd take out that one line? Its so perfect and solidified my hatred of Cat. Maybe thats why? They want people to like her?

It's a cool line in the book I think in the show it would have felt cliche since that line has been uttered so many times in popular culture.

The scene still conveyed Catelyn's feelings towards Jon even without that line, just a little more subtle.

Excellent episode, I laughed ("it is known") and cried (Nymeria)

Thoughts:

I am liking the actor for the Hound more and more.

Cersei's speech was veeeeery interesting. In the novels, it seemed like those children of Robert's were aborted. Interesting, and her emphasis on the looks of Roberts dead child makes me wonder if the producers are planning to abbreviate some of Ned's investigation and whether we'll lose characters like Mya Stone later.

Tyrion was great.

The Dany scene was a great recovery from Ep 1 wedding night.

Nymeria /weep

Someone mentioned how great the direwolf attack scenes were. /agree

I'm shocked and impressed how much they are jamming into each episode. Really fantastic adaptation.

I'm so happy that other people noticed Ghost's absence. I was confused in that scene, I kept saying, he can't be headed to the wall, he doesn't have Ghost.

It's a cool line in the book I think in the show it would have felt cliche since that line has been uttered so many times in popular culture.

The scene still conveyed Catelyn's feelings towards Jon even without that line, just a little more subtle.

You're probably right. Still missed it a bit though

For the person asking why didn't Ned say anything to Catelyn, I imagine that if Lyanna told him to act like Jon was his own son, he would take that promise to the grave, without telling anyone any different

With Ned being in the room, I think the "it should have been you line" would have put things over the top. Ned would have been obligated to speak out against Catelyn (maybe not in front of Jon). Ned needed to be there in the scene, unlike in the books, so that they could segue into the who fathering a bastard back story for Ned.

Archived