[Book Spoilers] EP102 Discussion

Ran

Except Catelyn loves Ned and is extremely loyal. To not tell her the truth about Jon is a huge disservice and insult to her. Sure maybe in the first couple of years while he still didn't know Cat but when he came to know the person she was, why wouldn't he tell her therefore making life at Winterfell easier for both Catelyn and Jon?

Ned's tragic flaw is his honor. He made a promise to his dying sister and he will keep it without regards for love. He chooses honor over love when he accepts Robert's request to become the hand. He chooses honor over the thousands of lives when he does not move with Renly when Robert dies.

Also being a Targaeryn would make Jon a serious problem for Robert.

I think so. I mean, as a reader, AGoT is just so much more poignant reading it again knowing all we know now, isn't it?

(I'm seriously all teary-eyed thinking about it. Damn hormones.)

Yes.

I mean, I've read GoT 7 times now and every time I hope this time Ned doesn't confront Cersei about the kids and instead picks up his family and leaves. He always disappoints me. :crying:

Another thing that struck me was after telling Jon that they will talk about his mother, Ned says "I promise."

I might be wrong but I think that's a nod to, "Promise me, Ned." Since we don't get the inner thoughts and since that was such a big part of Ned's thoughts in the books, I thought it was cool (that is, if it is indeed a nod to the book line). It's also a neat hint for R+L=J :D

Yes.

I mean, I've read GoT 7 times now and every time I hope this time Ned doesn't confront Cersei about the kids and instead picks up his family and leaves. He always disappoints me. :crying:

I know! Except for me it's always, "Cmon Ned, just listen to Renly's offer. It may not be the honorable thing to do, but dammit, Ned, think of the children! (Your children. Not Cersei's. Freaky incest babies.)"

Jon/Arya was amazing. Nymeria totally ignoring Arya was hilarious. That scene pulled at my heart strings. I can't believe that's the last time they've seen each other! Wishful thinking, but I'd love a reunion in ADWD.

Funny, that's exactly what Dub said to me. (Dub = Young Wolf for those new to the boards.) And I responded with, "But Ned is so...so...fucking honorable, and loved Lyanna so much, of course he would have gone above and beyond granting her her dying wish, don't you think?"

So he honored Lyanna by disgracing and dishonoring both her son and his wife? I think he would have been more honorable to tell Catelyn...I don't see how Ned wouldn't think his sister wouldn't want her son to have an easier time at life.

I don't know...I think the honorable thing would be tell his wife the truth...even if he promised Lyanna.

Great episode, even better than the first.

My wife hasn't read the books, and although she was reluctant to watch at first (expecting another Lord of the Rings), I think she's getting into it.

When Cersei wants the wolf dead, my wife shouted "oh, why don't you just go f**k your brother!". ;) I have a few dogs myself and it's tough to see a dog (err... direwolf) needlessly killed (especially since Lady was totally innocent).

One thing I noticed as a continued irk from the pilot is that many of the actors and actresses seem to mumble or are hard to hear exactly. I'm not sure where all of them are from so I'm not sure if it's just them getting used to the accent and/or characters, or maybe it's just my lousy hearing.

Regardless, I know most of the lines by heart (dear god help me) so it's not really a problem, just something I noticed.

Another thing that struck me was after telling Jon that they will talk about his mother, Ned says "I promise."

I might be wrong but I think that's a nod to, "Promise me, Ned." Since we don't get the inner thoughts and since that was such a big part of Ned's thoughts in the books, I thought it was cool (that is, if it is indeed a nod to the book line).

Oh, absolutely, and Bean played with a distinct nuance; a hint of a sad smile on his lips, and his eyes were vaguely distant.

It makes me wonder what he knows (as an actor), or if he's making these nuanced, layered choices on instinct alone.

So he honored Lyanna by disgracing and dishonoring both her son and his wife? I think he would have been more honorable to tell Catelyn...I don't see how Ned wouldn't think his sister wouldn't want her son to have an easier time at life.

Well you don't know what he promised her. Remember, "about the promises I made and the prices I made to keep them."

We watched it with my parents, neither of whom have read the book, and even without the "It should have been you" line they both picked up on Cat's intense and hostile dislike for Jon. My mom, who was having trouble telling Robb & Jon apart, turned to me in distress, wanting to know why she was attacking her boy...! And then when I explained that, no, that's the bastard she was all, "Ooooh, so she's insecure and hates the bastard, got it."

Given that the reaction to Cat's nasty look and "Get out of here" was the same I don't really know why they changed the line; it really doesn't seem to me like they're making a (successful) attempt to soften Cat in that respect.

The only thing I was bothered by was the lack of Ghost. Everything else was really good in this one! The pacing was MUCH better and my non-book-reading, non-fantasist parents were entranced and say they're going to get HBO so they can keep watching. I hope they continue on in this vein.

I don't know...I think the honorable thing would be tell his wife the truth...even if he promised Lyanna.

Yeah, and then Robert would have had Jon killed or killed him himself. And probably killed Eddard for betraying him about the whole bloody affair.

Ned would rather have him appear as dishonorable for the sake of protecting his sister's son and his own House. Fathering a bastard is not a crime. Sheltering a Targaryen during the reign of Robert, is.

Saw a replay and did see Ghost sitting at the fire when Tyrion and Jon talk. Methinks if and when they producers are asked they say "he was off hunting in the other scenes." :P

I liked the despth of Cersei in this episode. She wasn't just a mustache twiddling baddie. She appeared to feel guilty when she talked to Cat.

And is it just me or did jaime look haggard in his scenes, almost like he hadn't slept well.

I'm having difficulty liking the Hound. He just doesn't have the saracastic menace from the books.

Really liking Kit Harrington and Maise Williams. They're Needle scene was perfect.

Jon/Arya was amazing. Nymeria totally ignoring Arya was hilarious. That scene pulled at my heart strings. I can't believe that's the last time they've seen each other! Wishful thinking, but I'd love a reunion in ADWD.

I actually found myself close to tears with that scene! It's so hard knowing that after all these books, they still haven't been reunited. I really want there to be a Jon and Arya reunion and a Arya and Nymeria reunion. GRRM isn't going to give everyone a depressing ending right? There will surely be some happiness and I'm clinging to that hope!

I was also really impressed by the assassination scene. I think they hit right notes on there except my brother who hasn't read the books was a bit confused about where the fire was. They probably should have Robb say, "It's the library". My brother just thought the tower where Bran fell was on fire.

One thing I noticed as a continued irk from the pilot is that many of the actors and actresses seem to mumble or are hard to hear exactly. I'm not sure where all of them are from so I'm not sure if it's just them getting used to the accent and/or characters, or maybe it's just my lousy hearing.

Regardless, I know most of the lines by heart (dear god help me) so it's not really a problem, just something I noticed.

No your fine, I also had a hard time understanding (for the first 15 minutes) a good amount of the dialog. <_< Will have to watch again tomorrow.

Oh, absolutely, and Bean played with a distinct nuance; a hint of a sad smile on his lips, and his eyes were vaguely distant.

It makes me wonder what he knows (as an actor), or if he's making these nuanced, layered choices on instinct alone.

Maybe. Or maybe he's just that fucking brilliant of an actor.

Seriously, I am blown away with his performance. Each time I re-watch I see it more and more and it's eerie how well he gets into character.

Archived