[Book Spoilers] EP102 Discussion

Ran

loved it!!

This episode was so much better than the premier. Damn, that hour goes by fast!

- Sansa did it! I had some doubts about her acting, but she nailed it pretty good tonight

- Arya is absolutely as good as I hoped. She rocks!

- The Wall!! That view always amazes me. I literally clapped with joy.

- the attack scenes (all of them) were just perfectly done

- SO many direct lines from the book!

- All the little changes were excellent. Books and tv are 2 different mediums and must be treated as such.

I give it a 99.9999!!

Loved it! :D

Um, Cersie killed Jon Arryn?

Wasn't it Lysa Arryn nee Tully and Little finger?

Well, whoever killed him, to me the juxtaposition of the idea of "fever" killing someone along with the viewing audience's present knowledge of the Lannisters being suspected in Arryn's death should be an indication that we're supposed to think Cersei killed this black-haired baby.

Great, great episode. Pretty much everything has already been covered by everyone else here. Ghost being largely absent makes sense: he's a non-factor in the episode where Summer, Nymeria, and Lady all factor in hugely. Ghost is arguably the most important wolf in the series so we will see plenty of him later.

Some of those parting scenes where the Starks talk about seeing each other again so sad when you know what happens. I imagine less impactful for those who don't know, but just superb acting all around. I would give this an A (not quite perfect) compared to a B+ for the first episode, personally.

Some of those parting scenes where the Starks talk about seeing each other again so sad when you know what happens. I imagine less impactful for those who don't know, but just superb acting all around. I would give this an A (not quite perfect) compared to a B+ for the first episode, personally.

As as mom, watching Catelyn brush Bran's hair aside and kiss him goodbye killed me, knowing that that would be the last time she ever saw him again. :crying:

Some of those parting scenes where the Starks talk about seeing each other again so sad when you know what happens. I imagine less impactful for those who don't know, but just superb acting all around.

I agree. Especially Ned and Jon saying farewell, and the promise to talk about his mother, which will never come. Robb and Jon was good, and the Arya-Jon scene was especially touching.

Similarly, the Robb-Theon exchange was good. It shows how eager they are, and how inexperienced, which definitely is a foreshadowing of why Robb fails, and it was a sad touch seeing Theon pledge fealty to Robb's cause right on the spot, knowing what happens as we do. :(

I am totally impressed that they managed to do the POV chapters nearly line for line and still managed to add in at least three scenes that were not in the book. Very fast moving, just like it needs to be.

I dunno. Watching it I couldn't help but hoping season 2 would be more than 10 episodes. While I appreciate the breakneck speed of these episodes - to an extent - I do find myself craving a moment to slow down and take it all in.

I may have one little nit-picky thing and surprised no one else mentioned it. Snow not falling during Jon and Rob's departure. It is still a clear image from the first time I read the book, and re-inforced in feast when jon is talking to sam with snow falling in sam's hair as well. Again, nit picking. Loved the episode and will ride down anyone like a butcher's boy for disagreeing.

As as mom, watching Catelyn brush Bran's hair aside and kiss him goodbye killed me, knowing that that would be the last time she ever saw him again. :crying:

Makes me wonder if and when non-readers see the series again, years down the road, and end up feeling even more about that scene because then they know.

First time poster. To all my lords and ladies, regards. Wow, what an episode. So much feeling and character depth. Very well adapted. There was one scene between Cersei and Catelyn that was an intesting addition. BUT ... there was no dream!? Martin you fox. I was waiting for it at every scene change. I really do hope that we get some kind of make-up dream of later on, or whatever. Also, the Ned and Jon exchange had me choked up even though I'm reading the series for the seventh time.

This series has legs. Well done.

I dunno. Watching it I couldn't help but hoping season 2 would be more than 10 episodes. While I appreciate the breakneck speed of these episodes - to an extent - I do find myself craving a moment to slow down and take it all in.

I do agree somewhat. I'm envisioning these first episodes as still "setting up" the pieces and players, and once Jon gets to the wall and Ned to King's Landing we will be able to catch our breath.

I liked it lots. Also wanted to see more Ghost. I also wish the show would explain to the newbies who the Hound is exactly. The scene where he scares Sansa and Joff orders him away helped, but my wife has never read the books and doesn't understand why he's one of my favorite characters. Has it even mentioned his name or job yet? This hour went by even faster than last week. I was literally checking my watch thinking "Shit! Only fifteen more minutes? Seriously??"

Makes me wonder if and when non-readers see the series again, years down the road, and end up feeling even more about that scene because then they know.

I think so. I mean, as a reader, AGoT is just so much more poignant reading it again knowing all we know now, isn't it?

(I'm seriously all teary-eyed thinking about it. Damn hormones.)

Great episode. No idea why Maureen Ryan gave it a low score.

Those who have complained about the nudity should be happy. It seems as if they went out of their way to show as little nudity as possible.

Yeah, thanks to Maureen Ryan's review, I was kind of dreading this episode and had low expectations for it, so I was pleasantly surprised to find myself thoroughly enjoying every minute of it! Goes to show you shouldn't take too much stock in reviews. I would be curious to see why she disliked it so much. I suspect the Dany/Drogo scenes are to blame here, but I didn't find them badly done. Dany's trying to adapt to her new way of life and make the most of her situation. Her wanting to learn how to please Drogo makes perfect sense to me and will make her life more pleasant too.

One thing I did notice, they didn't indicate that Robert got his info about Dany from Jorah. I wonder if for the show they're going to keep the audience in the dark about it so it's a surprise later on? (Ironically when I read the books the first time, Jorah being a spy was a surprise to me because when I first started the series, I was having trouble keeping track of all the characters' names. Therefore, I didn't make the connection in the early chapter. When I reread the book for the first time, I was surprised that they had in fact revealed is early on).

There's no reason why Bran can't have dream stuff later. I hope we'll see the three-eyed crow at some point. They had to cut things for time, and this one made the most sense to cut.

Considering I liked Catelyn even in the books when she said her infamous line to Jon, I couldn't care less that they cut it. Come on Catelyn-haters, is it REALLY so terrible to not have as many reasons to hate her? :P

Cersei insistence that Lady be killed should really negate any sympathy she might have gained from viewers when talking to Catelyn about her first child dying. I liked how the producers drop that hint for the later reveal that Cersei's kids are hers and Jaime's.

Archived