What are you listening... three?

valacirca

I'm streaming the new Efrim Menuck (Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Silver Mt. Zion) solo album right now. I hear a bit of both projects in the music. What I like most about it is that it features the return of long drones and found sounds which have been sorely lacking in the collectives most recent work.

Still hoping we get a new Godspeed album sometime in the not-too-distant future though.

Thanks to you too. I'm a fan of GYBE, I didn't know there was a new prog album by one of those guys out recently.

This may be old news to some of you, but I recently discovered

and they're blowing my mind. Progressive Kraut Rock done by people who actually have souls. I picked a pretty one to share, but man, they get insane.

is my favorite drummer of the moment. Nothing can stop his groove.

This is good stuff. I've heard of Can but never listened to them before. I'll have to pick up some of their stuff sometime.

Listening to The Shaggs is like being force fed mescaline... :wideeyed:

This may be old news to some of you, but I recently discovered

and they're blowing my mind. Progressive Kraut Rock done by people who actually have souls. I picked a pretty one to share, but man, they get insane.

is my favorite drummer of the moment. Nothing can stop his groove.

I was there in 1968. I was there at the first Can show in Cologne. /weeps

This is good stuff. I've heard of Can but never listened to them before. I'll have to pick up some of their stuff sometime.

Someone else likes Can... there is hope left in the world. :thumbsup:

Definitely do yourself a favor and get Future Days at the very least. Tago Mago is probably their best record, but be warned, you have got to be ready for the outright mental illness these guys put out sometimes.

Right now I'm compulsively listening to Loaded by The Velvet Underground, In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson, and Black Holes and Revelations by Muse. Also after years of switching stations whenever Zeppelin came on (which was at least once every 15 min.) I'm lifting my embargo, and listening to Led Zeppelin IV.

Definitely do yourself a favor and get Future Days at the very least. Tago Mago is probably their best record, but be warned, you have got to be ready for the outright mental illness these guys put out sometimes.

Can is alright, but listening to Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi just make me go 'meh.' I much prefer Faust and NEU! whose Faust IV and self-titled album respectively have impressed me a lot.

Will do.

I listened to a couple more songs from Tago Mago that were good, maybe I'll start there.

Right now I'm compulsively listening to Loaded by The Velvet Underground, In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson, and Black Holes and Revelations by Muse. Also after years of switching stations whenever Zeppelin came on (which was at least once every 15 min.) I'm lifting my embargo, and listening to Led Zeppelin IV.

I'm on a King Crimson binge right now. I'm torturing my work mates with it.

Started with Discipline then onward to In the Wake of Poseidon, Lizard, and then Red.

I just started Lizard.

Can is alright, but listening to Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi just make me go 'meh.' I much prefer Faust and NEU! whose Faust IV and self-titled album respectively have impressed me a lot.

Ah, the Can vs. NEU! debate rises again! Someone should make an addendum to Godwin's Law for this. :lmao:

I really like NEU!, I've been listening to them for years. Somehow though, for me, Can just seems to have a bit more heart and beauty. The Damo Suzuki stuff at least. I'll concede that Ege Bamyasi isn't their best work, although it does have some of their best songs on it (I'm So Green, Sing Swan Song, etc.). I like a prog band that isn't afraid of funk and RnB.

Myshkin - I'm listening to Loaded at the moment as well. I think we should get married.

Myshkin - I'm listening to Loaded at the moment as well. I think we should get married.

I do! I've gotta go call my mom!

Seriously though, Loaded is such a great album. I know Reed wasn't satisfied with the way it was mixed, and some of the songs being cut down, but still I love it.

My current musical fascination is with the band Austra. OK, it's really just that one song; Their other stuff is pretty good as well, but I can't get enough of that song.

Damn Efrim, that new album is a letdown :(

You think so? I wouldn't say it's the best stuff he's ever done, but it's certainly not as big a let down as 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons was. I've always liked Godspeed/SMZ's more somber guitar and piano moments the best, and there's several good examples of it on the album.

Right now I'm a bit on the fence as to whether or not I'll pick this one up. I like it but it doesn't wow me.

ETA:

Are we mostly jazz, alternative, and metal in here?

We're whatever you want to share. I for one keep an open mind about all genres of music -- even country and opera (er, mostly).

You think so? I wouldn't say it's the best stuff he's ever done, but it's certainly not as big a let down as 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons was. I've always liked Godspeed/SMZ's more somber guitar and piano moments the best, and there's several good examples of it on the album.

I loved 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons! I know this is unpopular opinion, but that is my favorite ASMZ album thus far. It's typical ASMZ: Horrid vocals, scattered sections of catastrophically incoherent sonic mayhem and soft plodding melodic build-ups into heavy-ass, loud and triumphant music. The first ("1,000,000 Died to Make This Sound") and last ("BlindBlindBlind") tracks of that album are the best they've done of the kind. I thought it was glorious grandiosity.

Now, Efrim's Plays "High Gospel" isn't bad. No, not at all. I suppose it's just that being the brains behind such legendary bands as GY!BE and ASMZ, I can't help to hold him to a high standard.

Ah, the Can vs. NEU! debate rises again! Someone should make an addendum to Godwin's Law for this. :lmao:

I really like NEU!, I've been listening to them for years. Somehow though, for me, Can just seems to have a bit more heart and beauty. The Damo Suzuki stuff at least. I'll concede that Ege Bamyasi isn't their best work, although it does have some of their best songs on it (I'm So Green, Sing Swan Song, etc.). I like a prog band that isn't afraid of funk and RnB.

I just feel like Can leans towards a more artsy and experimental kind of Krautrock while NEU! plays more of an improvisational Krautrock-jam-band type of style that to me sounds more loose and groovy and appealing. I'll have to revisit Can again though since I haven't listen to them in a while as opposed to NEU! who I've been listening to recently.

I am now listening to The Brown Album by Primus. Funny, because i know it is the least liked album(even by the band), but it is the only one i regularly listen too. Some of the songs are silly as hell, but some are pretty good, and all got those amazing bass lines.

Also got my old Throwrag CD in the car, fun band from CA that used to tour through Fort Collins once in a while. Anyone else heard them? Rule Maker is one of my favorite songs.

Nope. Do you know your scales yet?

Classical never gets enough love on the board, so I guess I'll have a mostly classical playlist today, save for my workout music.

Sad news: Apparently Gil Scott-Heron has died at the age of 62 :(

I've always intended to explore his music above and beyond his better known stuff like the awesome

Much happier news --that I feel somewhat ashamed about being excited for in light of the above-- is that Godspeed You! Black Emperor is apparently working on new material.

Alkan is one of my favorites. Unfortunately he doesn't get as much pub as some of his peers, such as Liszt, but he is a remarkable composer and was just as much a virtuoso as Liszt. Though, he never claimed to never sell his soul to the devil.

Here's one of my favorite pieces of his Scherzo Diabolico

Alkan had some peculiarities with his writing style. He hated enharmonics and would go out of his way to write pieces void of enharmonics. A good example is Les Diablotins.

Archived