What are you listening... three?

valacirca

Get The Soft Bulletin too.

With the help of a jazzhead friend, I am embarking on a genuine attempt to get into jazz. Previously I just went in blind and got confused because most of the really famous, iconic stuff is super chaotic and crazy. We're going chronologically by period. I'll update as we move forward, but it will be a journey of several months. I want to do this right.

We're starting with the Dixieland era. Sidney Bechet is front and center; I also picked up best-ofs by Art Tatum and Louis Armstrong, the latter of which I understand are more progressive. Will probably be picking up at least an Earl Hines compilation as well.

I am intending to do this with classical as well. I don't really feel like I have a good grasp of the body of work available in either genre, nor do I have the vocabulary to articulate properly what I do and don't like. I'm hoping these projects will remedy those issues.

Just bought a ton of stuff off Amazon. Madonna's Bedtime Stories, Sound of Music soundtrack, Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On (hwo did I not have this already?) and The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. I said to Ini that The Flaming Lips is the band I should have been in love with a long time ago but never listened to seriously until now.

I'm partway through Yoshimi and I'm head over heels in love.

Yoshimi is a great album. I should really get The Soft Bulletin sometime as well.

hi

I am listening to Totentanz by Liszt, performed by Arnaldo Cohen. It's quite an original piece of music.. A romantic piano piece based on a theme from a gregorian chant, it's basically just awesome.

And then you'll follow it up with Gnomenreigen, yes?

I've been helping Ini a little with his survey of classical music project. If anyone else is interested, the Norton Anthology of Western Music is the thing to get. It's a staple of university music history survey courses.

Found an itunes card today (no, seriously). Spent it on the new Bon Iver album and a couple other things. I like it (despite it being incredibly short), but I also can't help but recognize that it sounds an awful lot like some of the 80s music I make fun of my mom for liking.

:P

As for the other two things I bought: Attention Please by Boris and It's All True by Junior Boys. I haven't given either very much attention yet, but my initial impression of the Boris album was positive and Junior Boys less so.

Found an itunes card today (no, seriously). Spent it on the new Bon Iver album and a couple other things. I like it (despite it being incredibly short), but I also can't help but recognize that it sounds an awful lot like some of the 80s music I make fun of my mom for liking.

:P

Hey, some of that 80's stuff is great! (although that Bon Iver Beth/Rest song sounded like Chicago- and they suuucked..)

Now get off my lawn!!

And then you'll follow it up with Gnomenreigen, yes?

I've been helping Ini a little with his survey of classical music project. If anyone else is interested, the Norton Anthology of Western Music is the thing to get. It's a staple of university music history survey courses.

Haha, I've only listened to Waldesrauschen from the Zwei Konzertetuden set, need to find Gnomenreigen soon though. Been really enjoying some of the not so wildly popular Liszt pieces lately... Transcendental Etude No. 12, Tontentanz, and Hungarian Rhapsodies 12, and 13..Czardas Macabre also.

Ive really been trying to understand this composer, I just recently finished reading the three volume biography of Liszt, by Alan Walker, probably will read it again at some point.. It's a massive amount of information to retain on a first read through. Though it's very helpful in helping me understand how the life of the composer influences his compositions. Really interesting stuff.

Hey, some of that 80's stuff is great! (although that Bon Iver Beth/Rest song sounded like Chicago- and they suuucked..)

I was thinking more along the lines of Air Supply but I think your comparison is more fitting. Maybe toss in a little Kenny G for good measure :P

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here actually listen to Junior Boys besides me? If not, and you like electronic music, you should check out

at the very least. I've been less impressed with their two more recent albums primarily because they've seemed to settle on a more chipper sound, but it's still pretty good.

Love the Boris album. Songs where Wata takes lead vocals always tend to be my favourites, and this is a whole album of her singing. Also has fewer aggressive moments than any Boris album I'm familiar with; In an odd way it reminds me a bit of Sonic Youth or Larsen.

Now get off my lawn!!

Aw, early Chicago is good stuff, mostly because of Terry Kath, who is a fantastic guitarist that, unfortunately, never seems to get his due.

Aw, early Chicago is good stuff, mostly because of Terry Kath, who is a fantastic guitarist that, unfortunately, never seems to get his due.

Blaa, Chicago has and always will suuuuck!! And if a guitarist never gets his due, it's because he also suuucks! :P

Maybe toss in a little Kenny G for good measure :P

:lol: Ew, let's not?

Listening to Frank Black's Teenager of the Year CD at the moment (not a unique occurrence).

is such a romantic song... Any songwriter who can work juxtaposed and delight (btw only Black Francis!) into the lyrics, gets me going.

I've been obsessively listening to the new Bon Iver, it's so damn good.

i am in love with it also :)

in particular wash. and michicant...so so lovely. i was wondering how it would be after for emma, forever ago...it was so haunting and raw...kinda stuff to sink into the bones. i love that kinda of stuff and i was kinda worried about what a "happy bon" would sound like...

which is why i love this cd...it's reflective and you can see his growth, but i kinda get this hesitancy about it, some sort of tender reflections like he is putting the peices of his puzzle together.

beautiful cd...i hope he tours! neal, if he doesnt go to brisvegas you must simply come to sydney and we can go :)

i am in love with it also :)

in particular wash. and michicant...so so lovely. i was wondering how it would be after for emma, forever ago...it was so haunting and raw...kinda stuff to sink into the bones. i love that kinda of stuff and i was kinda worried about what a "happy bon" would sound like...

which is why i love this cd...it's reflective and you can see his growth, but i kinda get this hesitancy about it, some sort of tender reflections like he is putting the peices of his puzzle together.

beautiful cd...i hope he tours! neal, if he doesnt go to brisvegas you must simply come to sydney and we can go :)

Agreed with everything you've said, I'm liking it even more than last album.

And I'm definitely seeing him if he tours.

Archived