What are you listening... three?

valacirca

if we are defining the last even remotely decent thing produced by metallica than the black album wins all the ponies.

if i were to define metallica i would go with master of puppets, ride the lightning, and justice for all and kill 'em all. those albums are the defining moments of brilliance of that band.

and on topic i am listening to and justice for all.

Indeed. Pretty much the standard Metallica listing. If I can add my humble opinion, I've really dug on Death Magnetic. Rubin really brought those whiney fuckers around.

Still loving Manchester Orchestra's album Simple Math, which I think should be a contender for album of the year. Check out

, the Pink Floyd-esque
and Pensacola ("Alcohol, dirty malls, Pensacola, Florida bars!").

Also listening to the latest My Morning Jacket album after recs from AK and Trisk. Really enjoying the roots/country rock sound, especially in the awesome title track (Circuital) and You Wanna Freak Out. The only problem with listening to music like this is that it makes me want to go back to Neil Young for a month and not listen to anything new...

ETA: AK, I have no idea if you're reading these threads atm, but let it be known that I will never forgive you if you don't go and see Gogol Bordello live at Bonnaroo this week :whip:.

Indeed. Pretty much the standard Metallica listing. If I can add my humble opinion, I've really dug on Death Magnetic. Rubin really brought those whiney fuckers around.

Yeah, I really enjoyed Death Magnetic as well. Too bad they decided to compress the hell out of it.

African-American work gang recordings made by Alan Lomax in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Real rough blues.

Thanks for posting that. I find these recordings fascinating. Ashamed to admit I knew nothing about Lomax until now; Will have to check out more from his archive as well.

I'm currently listening to the self titled album by BOBBY as part of NPR's first listen series. It's pretty good; A cross between Stars-like bedroom pop and shoegaze with just a hint of ambient.

Thanks for posting that. I find these recordings fascinating. Ashamed to admit I knew nothing about Lomax until now; Will have to check out more from his archive as well.

Word. Make sure to check out the Alan Lomax Archive YouTube channel and shoot me a private message is you want any further recommendations.

Discovered a new record store --yes, they still exist-- after biking around town today. Ended up walking away with Slint's Spiderland LP --heard it many times but never owned a copy-- and Stars of the Lid And Their Refinement of Decline.

Not sure if anyone here is familiar with SotL but they're one of my favourite drone/ambient acts. Melancholic but at the same time very relaxing. An example.

Spent the weekend at the Southside festival. Despite being located in the extreme south of Germany, the weather there has been consistently shitty every time I attended. At least it wasn't as bloody cold as last year, but maybe it's time to try and make that trip to Benicassim happen next year...

Surprisingly, despite the lineup featuring Arcade Fire and Portishead (who obviously were both fantastic) it was actually Incubus (just a late, albeit much welcomed, replacement for Blink 182) who turned in the performance of the weekend. Best way to end a festival.:thumbsup:

Oh and I need to pick up Warpaint's album tomorrow, they were great way back on friday, in that mythical time before it started raining.

Just bought a ton of stuff off Amazon. Madonna's Bedtime Stories, Sound of Music soundtrack, Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On (hwo did I not have this already?) and The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. I said to Ini that The Flaming Lips is the band I should have been in love with a long time ago but never listened to seriously until now.

I'm partway through Yoshimi and I'm head over heels in love.

Archived