DC to reboot pretty much everything in September

Bahimiron

Here's the reality: No one pays for comics anymore. They are available for free on the internet the same day they are released. When the companies do big events, they can pay their bills. When they don't, they can't.

So big event after big event until Marvel and DC fold up or, and this is more likely, they simply become an avenue for selling movies and movie characters.

QFT

Comics got a bit of a kick back when major bookstores started selling bound editions of storylines like a month after the comic was over, but that faded quickly.

Marvel also got a bit of an uptick when iPad came out, letting you download pretty much any past issue for a relatively small amount. (and in all fairness, its a pretty sweet format for reading comics)

That said, I think the comicbook will still be around for a good while as a physical thing. I just think its market share will continue to slowly dwindle.

I do have to say, I'm starting to get sick of all the events that just KEEP. ON. HAPPENING. Infinite Crisis sort of burnt me out on them.

Same with Marvel. Didn't even pick up an issue of Civil War. After Spider-man essentially sold his soul to the devil in a convoluted plot to save an octogenarian and sacrifice his marriage, I just washed my hands.

Just announced as part of the 52 new DCU books, Stormwatch and Grifter. Stormwatch features Midnighter, Apollo and Martian Manhunter.

Weird.

Considering all the random shit they're pulling here, I'm more than a little disappointed we don't see an Adam Strange book. Or since they're doing an All Star Western book, why not a Weird Adventures in Space book with their space opera characters. Including (especially) Adam Strange.

If you think that's bad, don't go look at Liefeld's amazing Hawk & Dove cover.

Yeah, but it's Liefeld. You expect it to be bad. Also it's Hawk & Dove. Lose-lose.

He did get better at drawing feet. In two more decades he's gonna be amazing.

Superboy's redesign is brilliant.

The S appears to be duct-taped to his back. Modern.

That cover just reminds me of the terminator tv series poster. If the cover is anything to go by then Superboy is going to be one of the most radical redesigns. The Perez Superman cover looks clunky. I don't understand why superman's clothes need to look like armour. Are they reducing his power levels in the relaunch? Supergirl's design i can live with, she changes fairly often anyhow - although it looks like she should avoid getting caught in revolving doors with that collar.

The stormwatch thing is intriguing. I still think having the authority (which this team essentially is) is pointless unless they are uber-powerful and if they are then it kind of undermines the JLA. How much do you bet the batman/superman analogues of Apollo/Midnighter aren't straight in this universe? They'll catch a lot of flack for that but the only other option is to remove their similarity to superman and batman. Out of all the relaunches this title is the only one where I'm thinking of picking it up. I think the "new" titles are more likely to get my attention as there's no worry about how relaunched it is. Maybe time to finally check out the Jonah hex creators western title too. Batman Beyond should be safe too as that's in it's own little pocket to begin with, although i need to check the current series has improved

It seems there's quite a bit of backtracking going on with the relaunch now too. Scott snyder is going out of his way to say it continues on from previous stories and that all the new statuses (statti?) of the batfamily There's only Barbara Gordon that sounds tricky and she wouldn't be the first bat character to get out of a wheelchair.

That's not the actual cover, just a promo image.

The hate on Scans_Daily is quite immense, even for Scans_Daily.

They make my comments same like praise. Just saw the cover to Suicide Squad. The harlequin design only really works if she has some clothes ... Guess they were using her fabric for all the other characters leggings

They make my comments same like praise. Just saw the cover to Suicide Squad. The harlequin design only really works if she has some clothes ... Guess they were using her fabric for all the other characters leggings

Oh, if this was happening to Marvel I'd be up in arms and fucking livid. As-is it's only second-degree pain, and that is somewhat ruined by an unwholesome inclination towards schadenfreude.

Oh, if this was happening to Marvel I'd be up in arms and fucking livid. As-is it's only second-degree pain, and that is somewhat ruined by an unwholesome inclination towards schadenfreude.

It's the rage I felt over Spidey's One More Day, that's made me particularly cynical about this.

Not to be outdone, Marvel is announcing a new uncanny x-men 1 in september. I just ignore Marvel number 1s as they are pretty harmless. They always jump back to the original numbering whenever a milestone is reeached. It's only confusing when they have different characters hijack a title's numbering eg incredible hercules and Daredevil/black panther.

Uncanny X-men doesen't even have an unbroken publication history, does it?

I don't think so. They did reprints before the "all new" x-men debuted and i'm not sure they are included or not. I checked wiki and i'm confused as it says "the reprint years" but then includes info as if original material also occurred. I get the impression the stories are material as back-ups in other comics that were then reprinted in uncanny. Sounds dubious.

Other than that it's an "unbroken run" aside from the 4 month hiatus when Age of Apocalypse went down.

Uncanny X-men doesen't even have an unbroken publication history, does it?

It does. They stopped making new X-Men in the 60's and started reprinting old ones.

Then they cancelled the book at issue 93. They brought it back with Giant Sized X-Men #1 years later and just began counting again with issue 94.

That cover just reminds me of the terminator tv series poster. If the cover is anything to go by then Superboy is going to be one of the most radical redesigns.

The guy from Topless Robot said that Superboy looks like he's played by Mac from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

The Perez Superman cover looks clunky. I don't understand why superman's clothes need to look like armour.

I don't think it's armour. I think it's just seams.

I think the problem is George Perez. He's old school. If you are gonna have Perez draw something, than make it old-fashioned spray-painted uniforms. Not this Jim Lee designs.

I think this uniform would look better on a leaner more realistic figure. Something that Moebius would draw. Not an artist that draw every muscle there is.

The boots look like a throwback to those original sandals Superman wore in Action Comics #1.

How much do you bet the batman/superman analogues of Apollo/Midnighter aren't straight in this universe?

The writer said that they are still gay.

It seems there's quite a bit of backtracking going on with the relaunch now too. Scott snyder is going out of his way to say it continues on from previous stories and that all the new statuses (statti?) of the batfamily There's only Barbara Gordon that sounds tricky and she wouldn't be the first bat character to get out of a wheelchair.

He probably has to do that cause everybody assumed that it's a total reboot of everything and DC hates Morrison and whatever. Batman & Green Lantern are DC's (only) successful franchises. They won't be messing with them (much).

That's not the actual cover, just a promo image.

The hate on Scans_Daily is quite immense, even for Scans_Daily.

Scans_Daily can always top itself. I used to go there quite frequently, but the constant barrage of negative emotions just destroyed my will to read comics. And live. There is nothing those guys won't hate like it was a direct insult from DiDio directed at their collective mother.

The guy from Topless Robot said that Superboy looks like he's played by Mac from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

The writer said that they are still gay.

He probably has to do that cause everybody assumed that it's a total reboot of everything and DC hates Morrison and whatever. Batman & Green Lantern are DC's (only) successful franchises. They won't be messing with them (much).

That's an unfortunate association to have unless Superboy is going to be a really dark mockery of Superman and then it could be fun.

I'm relieved that Apollo and midnighter are still gay. Midnighter still looks Batman-ish too while Apollo looks different (although will have to compare to the new superman).

DC were clearly playing the publicity game. Relaunching the entire universe gets them more attention than saying a new number one and some changes to existing characters. Now they need to reassure the core readers into not jumping off the main titles. I'm starting to think the relaunch isn't going to be any more significant than the "superboy punch" moments or Marvel's "they were skrulls all along" band-aids.

It's still provided me with a convenient jump-off the superman titles and i'm still going to drop all the Batman books. Green Lantern I'll probably stick with as Johns has created that part of DC from the ground-up - if there are any changes there he's essentially admitting his own work sucks. The fact Kyle Rayner still exists is a huge relief.

Grant Morrison Superman, Batman Inc, and Vertigo. Everything else I can't see myself buying.

Really I wish they'd create an "Ultimates" type line where Morrison had free reign to do what he wants. Seven Soliders -> Final Crisis -> Return of Bruce Wayne proved the man is possibly the best superhero writer to exist. Stick in his other work and he's in the running for the top spot.

Admittedly, I REALLY REALLY want to see Happy Ent's Kellhus-Superman now. More so than Morrison on the character.

Grant Morrison Superman, Batman Inc, and Vertigo. Everything else I can't see myself buying.

Really I wish they'd create an "Ultimates" type line where Morrison had free reign to do what he wants. Seven Soliders -> Final Crisis -> Return of Bruce Wayne proved the man is possibly the best superhero writer to exist. Stick in his other work and he's in the running for the top spot.

Admittedly, I REALLY REALLY want to see Happy Ent's Kellhus-Superman now. More so than Morrison on the character.

A Morrison "ultimate DC" would be great but not as good as the Kellhus Superman. If only HE was an editor in DC. It would have to be Vertigo too.

Archived