[ADwD Spoilers] Rank the Books Now

SergioCQH

I think there is a whole level of difference between the first three books and the two latest. It is as though George has become self-conscious about the success of the series, and lost his magic touch. Or that the story has grown so much inside his head that it is hard to control.

ASoS is by far my favourite book, I think. They all seem to blur together after the 50th re-read. :)

AGoT is the most economically written book, and it has so much of those great emotional elements that give me chills. Such as Bran waking from his coma dream, smiling and hugging his wolf and saying "His name is Summer." Such a thing makes all the sadness and depression surrounding the whole Bran incident worth reading.

ACoK is, as I see it, a continuation of AGoT.

AFFC. Here, I think, the story comes to a dead stop, and the pointless meandering begins. New POVs, new people, new places, none of which I personally care much about at the time. I read the book, all the time wondering when the magical feeling will return.

ADWD.

It's a step up from AFFC, but reading it, I keep thinking, yes, these are the characters I know and love, but they are not the same. The meandering continues, but with old faces. Some new and great info is dropped in. I see the contours of George's great story emerge. Around White Harbour and Davos, I start to get that tingly feeling of magic, but then we go visit "Reek", and Quentyn, and Asha, and slogging through padding.. and the feeling is lost. Dany is meandering too, and stumbling around and getting nowhere. Tyrion is going somewhere, and I am expectant. This is going to be great! But the road seems long. And long. And longer yet. And just when I thought it could not get much longer, he starts on the third leg of the journey, and meets new characters. And the long journey continues.

Jon's storyline is great. As is Bran's (albeit short). Unlike many people (it seems), I thought the ending of Jon's chapters was good. Kill the boy, was the theme.

Here's my rank:

AGoT, ACoK, ASoS - 10/10 Magical, enormous, fantastical books.

ADWD - 6/10 Placeholder, long awaited sequel.

AFFC - 5/10 Side notes.

And at least 2-3 of the points for ADWD and AFFC comes from information about the Westeros universe that I find fascinating and thrilling. The stories themselves, the characters, the plots... they are just... fillers.

The strife we see characters going through is okay, and it is a great way to build up a nerve. But there also needs to be direction, and there needs to be a personal link to the people one reads about. If it is all anonymous and all strife for 2000 pages... it's just too much. I need some hope, some little morsel of joy, to keep me going. I think both AFFC and ADWD could have been trimmed down mercilessly and made into one book, and been much the better for it.

Edit info: This is a no spoiler thread? Needs spoiler tags? Or..?

ADWD could have been higher up if he finished off Meereen with a climatic battle. But as is it felt more like ACOK without the Blackwater battle.

THERE WERE NO BATTLES.

And only like 9 action sequences. It is asking a reader a lot to get through all this without any action.

I am trying to think if Feast had any battles? It 1,800 pages and like 20 action sequences (swords and the such) and no battles in the last two books.

I am sick of bullshit murders and deaths (Quentyn and Kevan) give me some bloody steak and a beer and a battle scene for Christ's sake.

ADWD was the weakest of the bunch for me. The cheap cliffhangers at the end made the book so much less. ADWD also suffered from the FFC problems: half the characters were missing.

????

The only plot line totally absent was Sansa.

I do agree that the book was 200 pages too short to be completely satisfying. Either Brienne/Jaime or Jon Snow or Cersei or Danerys or Tyrion needed a COMPLETE resolution. Too many cliffhangers. Especially if we are going to wait another four or five years.

????

The only plot line totally absent was Sansa.

Not quite - Sam and Aeron Damphair are also missing POV characters from the last book (we saw Arianne through Hotah and Brienne through Jaime, so I'm not counting them).

THERE WERE NO BATTLES.

And only like 9 action sequences. It is asking a reader a lot to get through all this without any action.

I am trying to think if Feast had any battles? It 1,800 pages and like 20 action sequences (swords and the such) and no battles in the last two books.

I am sick of bullshit murders and deaths (Quentyn and Kevan) give me some bloody steak and a beer and a battle scene for Christ's sake.

I think you might be reading the wrong series. Have you tried R.A. Salvatore?

Unlike a lot of others here who've had their patience worn to the limit apparently, I appreciate Feast and Dance for what they are and for what they do for the series. They were meant to be a continuation to set-up for the next confrontations and climax, to reconcile the aftermaths of the first three-books and allow the characters to settle into the new status quo, before moving on to the second half of the series.

Ranking so far then 3>1>5=2>4.

Archived