Erikson: The Bonehunters

Werthead

Hmm interesting, I actually ment to ask peoples opinions on which one they supported.

Also I don't think its any of the old Talon's their all dead or in hiding, I think its their sons/daughters like Baudin pissed at Surly for the murder of their parents/friends etc.

But honestly did Surly actually manage to kill any of the old guard, neither of the Curst brothers, Dassem, some people think that Old Man who talks to Paran after he exits his Azath house is Toc the Elder.

Is that in BH? I didn't notice it at all. I've been keeping an eye out for Toc the Elder, since he's just about the only Old Guard not to make a cameo appearance. Him and Ameron.

Erikson's series is pretty cool, but I hate how all the characters seem to know what is going on in other character's heads all the time. Characters constantly make astounding leaps of comprehension about why someone is doing this or that, or how someone feels about something. It is lame, and amateurish on SE's part. He could learn a lot from GRRM on how to convey the confusion and incorrect assumptions people make about others on a daily basis. That, and how fucking gay was the introduction of Silverfox in book 3.

Well I'm half-way through Deadhouse Gates and I have a quick question (which probably isn't really important at all, I'm just curious). What was Sormo doing with that big icey thing full of corpses? What was the point of it?

Also, did Felisin completely irritate anyone else? I'm finding it hard to read her parts of the novel, simply because I cannot stand her. She reminds me of a young Cersei, or something.

So far I'm loving this book. Erikson is superb.

Yes Felisin is an annoying bitch. She does evolve though, and is one of Erikson's best and deepest character. But yes a total bitch. As for Sormo, I don't think it was anything huge. I'll have to go look at that part again.

I've had such a hard time reading it at the moment and I need to get some enthusiasm back for it so I can finish it in a weekend. Tell me it's all worth it. And for a bonus point can anyone tell me if we learn anything more about my literature boyfriend, Quick Ben?

N

My favorite QB moment is still in MOI, when he goes up against Bauchelain and Korbal Broach. That was a classic case of someone totally underestimating what they were dealing with. Those of you who read it know what I'm referring to.

Yeah, Quick Ben was awesome in both MoI and TBH.

Chal, are you reading the first book? As people have said (at length and frequently), things get a lot better in the second. But Quick Ben only has a quick cameo in the second volume.

Well I'm half-way through Deadhouse Gates and I have a quick question (which probably isn't really important at all, I'm just curious). What was Sormo doing with that big icey thing full of corpses? What was the point of it?

Also, did Felisin completely irritate anyone else? I'm finding it hard to read her parts of the novel, simply because I cannot stand her. She reminds me of a young Cersei, or something.

Yes, I found Felisin quite irritating. I wouldn't compare her to Cersei though, Cersei is a despicable person with no redeeming features, and I wouldn't say the same about Felisin - she is annoying but I can sort of understand why she does what she does, she's not always a nice character, but that is probably more to do with the situation she has been forced into than her true nature

I can't remember who Sormo is at all.

Sormo's the leading Wickan warlock, the one who was killed. The ice thing was something to do with the soul of a savage spirit, which was also the Semk god. It's body was entombed in the ice, its soul mwas helping the Semk, or something like that. Sormo needed to shatter the ice to destroy the godling's soul.

What was Sormo doing with that big icey thing full of corpses? What was the point of it?

Yeah, what Brady said.

IIRC, the Semk godling is a pre-human Ascendant who was entombed by Jaghut sorcery a long time ago. The Semk have wizard-priests who can channel that Ascendant's power. They're using this power against the Chain. So Sormo, Nil & Nether call up the spirits of the land and sic them on that trapped Ascendant. No Ascendant, no power for the Semk wizard-priests.

Of course, this plan isn't flawless, as you'll see.

Quick question; What is meant when someone is listed under "The Malazans" (at the front of the novel)? Would it mean that they are loyal and fight for the Empress? I'm abit confused if this is the case, as characters such as Fiddler, Felisin, Kalam (etc etc), wouldn't really be considered on the Empires side. Not anymore at least.

This probably should be obvious to me by now, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just finished Deadhouse Gates, and I loved it.

Just a few questions

SPOILER: deadhouse gates

Why would Shadowthrone want to reward Kalam, Crokus and Apsalar?

And also, what was the significance of the final Iskarel Pust scene? Who was that D'iver woman?

Shadowthrone is making it up to Apsalar for having Cotilion possess her, though he has other motives as well. As for Kalam, he wants him and Minala to train the Malazan children that the aptorian saved and brought to the shadow realm.

The Iskaral Pust scene - remember how he was always searching for spiders? That's why. Theres also more information on Iskaral and the spider woman in House of Chains. "I've made another mess in the kitchen!"

Shadowthrone is making it up to Apsalar for having Cotilion possess her, though he has other motives as well. As for Kalam, he wants him and Minala to train the Malazan children that the aptorian saved and brought to the shadow realm.

The Iskaral Pust scene - remember how he was always searching for spiders? That's why. Theres also more information on Iskaral and the spider woman in House of Chains. "I've made another mess in the kitchen!"

Oh cool. I guess I'll just have to keep reading :cool:

I'm so glad I didn't have to pay any money to get it, or I'd be demanding a refund. The only thing I liked about it was Tayschrenn, and not even him very much. Temper and Kiska were rubbish POV characters. Even the Mhybe was more interesting.

Rhelley, read The Lies of Locke Lamora and if you enjoy it, then we will start that circle. :cool:

Archived