Access Hollywood Reveals S2 Details

Westeros

Access Hollywood has one of the most detailed Season 2 remarks from the actors and executive producers of HBO’s Game of Thrones. A lot of choice quotes here. But here’s a couple of highlights:

• Kit Harington confirms an old, old report (we first heard of it around the time S1 wrapped filming) that the production is headed to Iceland: “It was cold last season, but this season we’re going to Iceland,” he said. “It’s going to be freezing, so that’s going to be a bit of a task…it’s pretty grueling stuff for Jon Snow.””
  • Nikolaj Coster-Waldau apparently indicates some not-from-the-books new characters are part of his story: “I heard they were going to add new characters, but I didn’t know what that meant,” he explained. “I know now. And it’s very cool.”<li>Executive producers Benioff and Weiss confirm some A Storm of Swords plot details will figure into the second season “They also revealed that some plot details from Martin’s third novel, “A Storm of Swords,” will be used in Season 2.”

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

Access Hollywood has one of the most detailed Season 2 remarks from the actors and executive producers of HBO’s Game of Thrones. A lot of choice quotes here. But here’s a couple of highlights:

• Kit Harington confirms an old, old report (we first heard of it around the time S1 wrapped filming) that the production is headed to Iceland: “It was cold last season, but this season we’re going to Iceland,” he said. “It’s going to be freezing, so that’s going to be a bit of a task…it’s pretty grueling stuff for Jon Snow.””
  • Nikolaj Coster-Waldau apparently indicates some not-from-the-books new characters are part of his story: “I heard they were going to add new characters, but I didn’t know what that meant,” he explained. “I know now. And it’s very cool.”<li>Executive producers Benioff and Weiss confirm some A Storm of Swords plot details will figure into the second season “They also revealed that some plot details from Martin’s third novel, “A Storm of Swords,” will be used in Season 2.”

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

I wonder how the SoS plotlines will work out. Last season the pulled some CoK into the final episode (Jaime and Catelyn, Arya going north). It's probably more to do with Jaime and Robb, who would get nearly no screen time if they stick to the book exactly.

Jaime will definitely get scenes from ASoS in season 2. I think Robb will be getting brand-new scenes instead. Dany is another character that could get scenes from ASoS. Dany doesn't have much to do in the second book to begin with, and the series has tended to cut dream sequences and prophetic visions from the books, so will the House of the Undying appear on the show? I wouldn't be surprised if season 2 ends with Dany freeing the Unsullied.

ASOS will probably be too long for a single season otherwise. Plus it'll be important to keep the story moving in chronological order so some characters' timelines may demand it.

What's interesting is if Jeyne Westerling will be cast for Season 2. Her and Robb's encounter happens chronologically towards the end of ACoK, and they've already said thay want to give Richard Madden more material to work with.

Interesting to see if and when HBO give out some kind of big press release with all the casting (we're still missing confirmation that Balon Greyjoy, Craster, Ygritte, confirmation of Asha/Yara and Matthos, Jaqen H'Ghar, Hoster and Edmure Tully, Roose Bolton, Jojen and Meera etc will be even in it, let alone being cast). Given this is the second season, they may not bother, or will do so but only before transmission.

I don't care one lick the extent to which the seasons of the series correspond to the books as long as the details do. ASOIAF is ultimately one long story and it doesn't really naturally split itself into neat packets of ten one hour episodes of television per book. I'm also fine with changes as long as they are consistent with GRRM's vision. Basically, if he is happy with it, I don't see much basis for complaint. Everyone, including GRRM, me and you will have some quibbles and some things we'd have done differently, but none of it is worth getting one's figurative panties twisted.

What's interesting is if Jeyne Westerling will be cast for Season 2. Her and Robb's encounter happens chronologically towards the end of ACoK, and they've already said thay want to give Richard Madden more material to work with.

I can guarantee that Jeyne will be cast for season 2. Beyond some battles, the only in-canon way to expand Madden's role next year is to depict Robb's meeting and marrying Jeyne. Weiss and Benioff have already referred to it as the "season of love", and expect various fan sites to go nuts with GIFs and photo collages once some cute total unknown, fresh out of drama school, is cast to work with Madden. (Same with Jon/Ygritte.)

I really, really hope we get to see the House of Undying. I'm sure alot of people are hoping, and with a big budget let's hope they can do it perfectly.

They have to film that scene. For me it's clearly the biggest and best scene of all Clash of Kings. They need to do it because that scene is really relevant and important for the rest of the story. That's the thing I'm looking for the most next season and if they don't..;what will Danny do?

Can be wrong. The series has to go to a plausible and tranquil pace. The idea is already done, but if they want to change small details, the writers must think long term. We do not know whether they will continue with a third season, but how they will try to fill that gap?

They are professionals and know how to use a better structure for the TV series, but I fear it will saturate. I speak from my ignorance, you may want to prepare them as a bridge that serves to summarize a long story in a season of 10 episodes.

I liked the first season, but if we are objective, we must know correct their mistakes.

For example, go fast with certain stories. sometimes I could not enjoy a good scene that could have been better. So I am very skeptical of putting details of "Storm of Swords" is as if they hurry.

Too much happens in ASOS for a single season. They'd be really hard pressed to jam it all in.

GRRM is a pragmatic guy when it comes to production. I doubt he'll have a problem with shifting some things around as long as the overall story isn't changed.

I just really want to see giant CGI direwolves. Hope they're done well.

They need to take as much time as possible to get deep in the storylines. ASOS should be 10 eps , cliffhanger at the RW, then go on hiatus and come back in the fall 2012 for 10 more, that'd be a solid win for ratings and viewer loyalty.

The spoiler part makes a lot of sense. As ACoK ends, there isn't much to be cheery about and you risk alienating the non-book viewers. I agree season 2 should end in Astapor. Dany sacking the city and the Jaime part (heh) makes for a more uplifting finale.

They need to take as much time as possible to get deep in the storylines. ASOS should be 10 eps , cliffhanger at the RW, then go on hiatus and come back in the fall 2012 for 10 more, that'd be a solid win for ratings and viewer loyalty.

A nice idea, but impractical. It takes 5 months to film 10 episodes, so to film two 10-episode seasons back to back and then presumably a third (to ensure another season the following year) would involve the actors, production crew, writers etc working solidly on the project for a year and a half. Given that many of these actors have other projects (Richard Madden is a regular on a British TV drama series that films when Thrones is on hiatus, for example, whilst Lena Headey is appearing in movies when not working on Thrones) that is not really doable.

The other issue is that HBO's new modus operandi is to have a set number of programmes with set episodes and set budgets per year. They're not suddenly going to turn around and spend twice as much on one show, as that means another project not going ahead or one of their other shows skipping a year.

Your timeline is impractical.

ACoK - Spring 2012

ASoS part 1 - Spring 2013

ASoS part 2 - Spring 2014

And that's a best case scenario.

It take awhile to write, film, and then edit these shows. Not to mention things like CGI, which I think will increase in future seasons.

Honestly I must say I do not like showing details of "Storm of Swords" What to display? "Clash of Kings" has good stories for the second season, I see no need to go mixing.

Yea if they start mashing it up, it won't last as long as it would if they went exactly by the books. To be honest, they would of made great movies instead of a tv series. I love this stuff o_o

Your timeline is impractical.

ACoK - Spring 2012

ASoS part 1 - Spring 2013

ASoS part 2 - Spring 2014

And that's a best case scenario.

It take awhile to write, film, and then edit these shows. Not to mention things like CGI, which I think will increase in future seasons.

Oh I know it does, with production, budget, etc. Til 2014? That'd be pretty indepth yeah, but would the audience wait around that long? That'd be the true test. And hopefully HBO would want/let it be dragged out that long. Especially with the timetable of the 6th and 7th book when they are released. But, yes I see your points.

Archived