[ADWD Spoilers] Who do you expect to die in TWOW

Valamway

- Tommen and Myrcella will both die because that will cause an epic shitstorm leaving Stannis as the rightful heir to the Baratheon line...

- Not that the Lannisters or Tyrells would accept him. A lot of people seem to think Ramsay is going to die but I actually think Roose will die leaving Ramsay as "Lord of Winterfell, Warden of the North" which will be lolzy.

- Jaime will die because everyone loves him after AFFC and we all know GRRM likes to mess with us.

- Khal Jhaqo. Dany did promise to show him as much mercy as he showed Eroeh.

I actually don't expect to see very many deaths in tWoW. All the major characters who have it coming will die in the last book. That said...

-Obara: If Darkstar is important, she'll be the prologue POV. She's part of the attack on High Hermitage, and she'll figure out whatever Darkstar's secret is, just before she dies.

-Jon Connington: Will die near the end after witnessing Aegon's death, full of regret for failing the son of his beloved Rhaegar

-Jojen: His death will be the catalyst that convinces Bran to high-tail it out of Bloodraven's den (I personally think Bloodraven is The Other, and serious bad news)

-Roose: A bit misleading, since I think Roose is already dead. Stannis and Manderly smashed him and are marching on Winterfell (at a snail's pace), and, desperate for a bargaining chip, Ramsay sends Jon Snow that letter in hopes of getting his hands on Selyse and Shireen as bargaining chips.

-Hizdahr: Hizdahr will be killed by Victarion in order to make Dany a widow, and his body will be hung over the bow of Iron Victory, thus fulfilling the "sad corpse on a ship" part of the House of the Undying prophecy

-Jhaqo and Mago: Roasted by Drogon

-The Green Grace: Killed by Dany (or Daario) when it is revealed that she is The Harpy

-Mace Tyrell: With Kevan dead and Cersei shamed, there's really nobody else who could possibly hold Tommen's reign together. Varys knows that, and Varys will take care of dumb old Mace

-The Night's Watch: Most of them will die. Bowen and the other traitors will get killed by the Wildlings, and the rest will die when the Wall comes down (see below)

-Alliser Thorne: Will be the epilogue POV. We'll get some background on him and why he's so bitter, and then his ranger camp will get overrun by Others. Just before he dies, he sees someone (Bloodraven? an Other? a Child of the Forest?) blow the Horn of Winter

In regards to Jaime, I think that if he's going to die because of his current situation, then he's already dead. I hate to say that, considering Jaime is my favorite character, but UnCat has had more than enough time to finish him since he left with Brienne, and why would GRRM bother to show us a scene we already know is going to end with a dead Kingslayer? When other major characters have died, it was in a scene where we didn't have any absolute reason to already believe the character was dead going into it. We'd been told that Ned would be spared if he "confessed his treason," and Robb was supposed to be making peace with the Freys, not being slaughtered by them. I'm not saying that Jaime is going to get out of this alive, I just think that if he isn't, then he's already bit the dust.

Also, there's a very sick irony to it. This is Jaime Lannister, son of Tywin Lannister and Lord of Casterly Rock, twin sister to Cersei, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, the Kingslayer, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, etc, etc... and he died off screen. :leaving:

Anyway, other characters...

While I'm not sure he'll die in Winds, I think Jojen will definitely be departing sometime before the story's over, it saddens me to say. And I've thought Aegon was going to die before we even learned about his possibly true identity.

And probably a few other characters we love as well... :frown5:

Oh, dead people! What fun!

Sir Boros Blount – sounds like he's on the way out from overeating, or something.

Sir Balon Swann – too bad, but I think there's going to be quite a bit of attrition among the Kingsguard.

One or more of the Kettleblacks – OMG, do you think that the valonquar is one of the junior Kettleblacks, pissed off because Cersei fucked over his brother?

Sir Emmon Frey and Genna Lannister. There's Tom o' Sevens in in the castle and Nymeria and her family outside, so the atmosphere isn't conducive to survival.

Sybell Westerling, because she's a bitch and within chomping distance of superbitch Nymeria.

Stannis. Shadow or no shadow, he's a kinslayer and he's got to pay for Renly.

Selyse, because mustachioed religious fanatics cannot be allowed to live.

Melisandre, perhaps. I don't think she can go head to head (magic to magic?) with the Others or the COTF/Bloodraven. Whatever; she's so confident that I think her days are numbered.

Sweetrobbin, and a couple of others in the Vale – maybe Harry the Heir?

I think Jojen and Daario are already dead, one as a sacrifice to the weirwoods, the other killed by the Yunkai.

The High Septon and the Septa prison matrons. Cersei's a Lannister, and she always pays her debts.

Mace Tyrell. He was too dismissive of the threat posed by the Aegon invasion; I predict the Golden Company is going to take Storm's End and then go through the Highgarden troops like a knife through butter. Or maybe the Renly loyalists in the Reach will go over to Aegon and get them. Whatever, I'm terrible at predictions, but I can tell that an ambitious, fat, self-satisfied, foolish character is doomed.

Leo the Lazy at the Citadel. I think he doesn't like Sam, and Sarella/Alleras isn't going to let anything happen to Sam.

Tommen, and I think Margaery might do it. Hey, there's another King on the horizon!

I think Roose might already be dead, which is why Ramsay went apeshit and wrote that crazy letter. I hope we get a flashback of his end.

Ramsay – how can he live? He's surrounded by enemies. I just hope he dies a slow and humiliating death.

Since everyone said all of the obvious deaths, I'm going to say this...

They all die. Everyone. The final book is just a commentary by GRRM about how cool it would've been if the story actually finished, but sometimes life isn't fair.

As the obligatory counterpoint, I'll go with noone.

With regards to POV

Tyrion-alive till the end

Arya-alive till the end

Bran-become a tree and live forever

Dany-alive till the end

Sansa-only vale POV going to stay alive

Jaimie/ceresi- Die together after their children because of prophecy. At the end of TWOW.

Sam-Oldtown POV going to stay alive

Brienne- I think she's undead already. Going to keg it next book at jaimies hand, and will be the final event on his reformation.

Theon-will rule the ironborn

Asha-days are numbered conjoined POV's. Dies middle of next book, ythe event will kill off the Reek personality within Theon completely.

Vic-dies next book dany will have the horn but his rhollor conversion may provide him with enough of a plot to continue

Barriston-dies saving Danny next book

Connington-seconds and counting

Aero-dornes POV as I think arianne will be moving to find griff and take over that story arc with the dimise of connington

Mel-POV whilst Jons in ghost, dies at the end raising her smoke dragon

Jon-alive till the end

Davos- hope is alive till the end and becomes danny's master of ships but he's the kind of beloved character George seems to kill.

Stannis wlll bend his knee to Danny at the trident in the final book.

Jogen reed will die next book

Strong Robert dies at the hands of the hound, replaced in the kingsguard by a bracken or brax (personal crack pot to do with jaimies horses honour & glory, and house sgils)

Tommen & mycelle are going to die next book killed by arya

Lord walder will be killed by uncat

Osmund kettleback dies next book replaced in the kingsguard by a bracken or brax (personal crack pot to do with jaimies horses honour & glory, and house sgils)

Ramsay bolden killed by brynden tulley

Sweet Robin killed by littlefinger

Melisandre and Davos are both going to live until they meet each other on opposite sides of a conflict, after Davos has returned Rickon and Osha to White Harbor. This will lead to one or both of them dying. I don't foresee this happening before the end of tWoW, and quite possibly in a later book.

Of Dany's three captives held by the Yunkai, one will die (probably Daario), one will be saved by the Windblown, and the third will be saved by Tyrion and the Second Sons.

A prologue of my dream: Old Frey is dying a horrible and painful death in the Twins, his kin is arguing at his bedside, in the meantime BWB attacks the castle and sets it on fire. And the Freys burn-burn-burn! :smug:

Guess that will never happen, though.

I also hope Daario will die. Just can't imagine how a guy with a golden tooth can be attractive or sexy at all. :ack:

my dream's prologue: Old Frey is trying to put another frey in his 8th wife belly when Blackfish, who climbed the tower barehanded, cames from the window, cuts his dic* off and drag him too the dungeons, where a released greatjohn eats him alive after killing 525 freys with his fists alone.

The Bolton clan is for sure gone. The North will be under Stark control in order to fight the other and then possibly Danny or Join her. The Boltons are not pertinent to the end game, merely bumps. Tommen and Marcylla are both gone, save Cersie for the last book. Illiyo seems to have played himself into a trap. Margery I think might be assasinated and or raped by Ungregor. All of the night's watch that is attacking Jon will prob die by the freefolk and Wun Wun.

Well, most of the big fishes will be left for Dreams.

Likely:

- Littlefinger - towards the very end of TWoW.

- UnGregor - Sansa and/or Sandor pwn him.

- Sweetrobin - LF kills him.

- Theon - pulls off a good ol' Redemption Equals Death.

- Jojen

- Doran - oh gods, please make him snuff it. His plans don't go anywhere.

- At least one Sand Snake

- Darkstar and/or Swann. I don't care about either...

- Bowen Marsh. Sooo many ways to be screwed. Executed for treason? Killed by an angry Tormund? An angry Ghost? Stabbing himself with the same dagger he used against Jon like soem of Caesar's assassins did when defeated? (Cassius for sure, according to legend.)

- Ser Alliser - please, make the SOB die.

- At least one Tyrell. Mace or Margaery.

- Hizdahr. Hope Victarion kills him.

- Daario. See above.

- The Green Grace/The Harpy.

- More Freys

- Stoneheart. Please, make it happen.

- Qyburn. Killed by his own Creature.

In danger:

- Mance. I believe in the "putting him in a cage in the cold" part from the letter. He'll be freed before he'd freeze but he'll get Incurable Cough Of Death. Hope he will not, but this is GRRM.

- Roose. Is he even still alive? Mance might've killed or wounded him. Ramsay might have stabbed him in the back. Or he can do it later. He could also fall in battle. Again, hope he will not, he's too awesome to die this soon.

- Stannis - Ramsay lied but Stannis is still not safe. A battle will happen sooner or later. He isn't Azor Ahai. He'll break before he bends.

- Wun Wun - if GRRM kills him, I'd be really sad. But he just killed a knight of the queen. Selyse will be pissed.

UnCat - killed by her uncle, the Blackfish, who has been shadowing Jaime, he declares her an abomination. he assumes control of the Brotherhood and releases Jaime because of the peace Jaime achieved at Raventree (or sends Jaime on a suicide quest to bring Sansa back from Littlefinger)

That is not dead which can eternal lie,

And with strange æons even death may die.

At first I thought how that might be especially challenging, given the chthonic couplet, but then you made me think of something curious. Why do you imagine that fire‐revenants like Lord Beric are so much easier to— um, re‐kill or put an end to or whatever, than it is to do away with the ice‐zombies? They don’t seem all that much harder to off than non‐undead (er, “unundead”?) mortals. That suggests there’s something quite different about the two sorts of deadies. The ice‐wights seem to need getting finely minced into hamburger, yet nothing fancier than a swift thrust through his vitals is enough to take Beric out, just as it always was. How come?

Here’s another thought. As Maester Aemon belatedly remembered, “Fire consumes but cold preserves.” You do have to wonder then about the quick and the dead, eh? Now me, I’d always attributed the Lighting Lord’s combat skills to his pre‐resurrection prowess, not to some special speed or skill he was granted with his new lives. But perhaps that isn’t all there is to it. Could Thoros’s kiss have quickened him?

I wonder if there is any clue to be found in Thoros’s name. Apparently a handful of medieval Armenian rulers went by that name (or rather, by Թորոս in Armenian), but I know nothing especial about them. Does that ring anybody’s bells? The name certainly looks Greek to me, but alas! “Græcum est, non legitur”: it’s Greek to me so I can’t read it. :dunno: Yet when I google up the Greek spelling Θορος, I do come up with some number of hits, but having no Greek I’ll be darned if I can unravel very much of any of what that pulls up. Well, except maybe for this one weird bit.

See, a bunch of them do go out of their way to mention that “ΘΟΡΟΣ = σπέρμα ανδρός”, which rather provocatively transliterates into THOROS = sperma andros, and looks like it might perhaps translate into saying Thoros is man‐sperm, for goodness’ sake! Knowing Martin, this seems worth something right up his alley, so to speak. Do you think that could be it? That he’s literally the spark of life?

Anybody have any other clues here that they could please share?

BTW, did you know that the word wight originally could mean demon?

Old English
wiht
(m., f.), n. = Old Saxon
wiht
m. thing, plural demons (Middle Low German
wicht
(masculine), n. thing, being, creature, demon, Low German
wicht
n. girl, Middle Dutch, Dutch
wicht
little child), Old High German, Middle High German
wiht
(masculine), n. creature, being, thing, especially of elves and dwarves, (German
wicht
m. creature, being, infant), Old Norse
vættr, véttr, vitr
f. living creature, thing (also in idiomatic uses and phr.
ekki vætta, vættki, vættr
not a whit, naught, not,
vettugi
nothing,
hvatvetna
anything whatsoever), Gothic
waiht
n. (only in
ni‥waiht
nothing),
waihts
<
εἶδος, πρᾶγμα
(
ni…waihtais
or
waihts
nothing); ulterior connections uncertain.

I just hope whoever dies....dies. To quote the great Russell Edgington, "The true death". Permanent. Final. Forever.

I don't want to see resurrections. If someone dies then they die. I don't want them warging into other bodies. Having R'llhor bring them back with fire. Or having them magically survive mortal wounds.

I don't want to see body swapping and replacing. If someone dies then let it not be a cheap ploy such as a glamor or a body swap. Don't have some minor character stand in for a major character and later reveal that they traded places.

I don't want off screen deaths that were lies or misdirection. If someone major dies then show it. If someone major has their death reported then it better be true and not more lame misdirection.

Based on the differences between AGOT through ASOS, where people die like crazy, and AFFC and ADWD, where hardly anyone major dies, I can't say that I am anticipating any major deaths in TWOW.

Big players like Jon, Tyrion, and Dany, seem eternally safe until the last pages of the last book. Arya, Sansa, Bran, and Rickon, will survive until the end game as well. Theon, Davos, and Asha are safe. Stannis likely as well. Jaime and Cersei will probably live until Dany lands in Westeros which won't be next book judging by the pace of her story. And Varys and Littlefinger will likely survive until the endgame as well. Sam is not going to die as GRRM loves making his fat, ugly, pathetic, weak, nerd character out to be a escapist figure. I think even Connington and Fake Aegon will survive the entire book and they'll be around for book seven when the Mother of Dragons flies into Westeros. Doran and Arianne aren't out fighting so they'll be safe from death.

Minor characters like Tommen, Myrcella, and Margaery might take the black pudding because their deaths would not affect anything major with Tyrion, Jon, or Dany. Damphair's Euron assassination chapter will finally appear after being postponed two books in a row. Either Brienne or Lady Stonehead will die but no one will care as they have nothing to do with the game of thrones or the war for dawn. Ramsay and Roose are not going to survive the Wildlings or Stannis's army. Lots of Freys and other Lannister allies will die in the North. Barristan might sacrifice himself to save Dany, finally restoring his honor in his own mind. I hate to say it but Jorah will probably give his life for Dany as well but maybe it might happen in book seven.

Ancillary characters, even nameless, from the Night's Watch will die by the hundreds if not thousands. Half of Meereen will die but no one will care. Pentos and other outlying cities and areas will probably get blown up or nuked if Dany returns with her dragons. I imagine Dany will massacre any Khal who ever raped someone or took a slave...so basically every Khal alive is in for some live action funeral pyres.

But again....if someone dies in TWOW...let them stay dead please GRRM.

To me it's a shorter list to pretty safely assume who will live into A Dream of Spring: Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Arya, Sansa, Bran, Varys, Cersei, Davos. lol

In the next book I would not be surprised if we see the deaths of:

-Stannis or Melisandre, not both

-Jojen Reed

-Daario (if he's not dead already)

-Aegon (pretty much guaranteed)

-Illyrio

-Jon Connington

-Margaery Tyrell or Mace Tyrell

-Loras Tyrell (possibly returning as unLoras via Qyburn)

-Qyburn

-Bowen Marsh

-One or both of the Boltons

-Wayman Manderly

-Val (tentatively; if only she ends up being part of the Azor Ahai reincarnation bit)

-Tormund Gianstbane

-Victarion

-Asha or Theon (not both)

Archived