Joe Abercrombie - A Red Country

Topher

There's a discrepancy in this thread as to when this book is set. I have the heroes as being 9 years after TFL in my mental calendar, and Joe confirmed that in an answer to my question on his blog, saying Red Country would be 6 years after The Heroes, 15 after TFL. But someone posted here that he said this book is 13 years after TFL. I'm pretty sure it should be 15 though.

In two sepparate forums, Joe has said that ARC will take place 15 years after TFL, and 13 years after TLAOK. Since TFL trilogy spans for two years, the discrepancy is minimal.

They don't have any guns in Joe's world at this point in time.

Well, in The Heroes we saw how the cannon was introduced. And according to this wikipedia article, the hand-held firearms were invented before.

Although I agree that it is too soon for having a widespread use of firearms in the West by the time ARC is set.

Hello guys,

Thought some of you may be interested in this:

"The Fantasy-Faction team launch their podcast with a BANG in the form of an interview with Joe Abercrombie. The witty, charismatic author that brought us the 'gritty' First Law Trilogy tells us all about his upcoming book A Red Country, his plans following the release of that title and we even get find out why the heck Joe hasn't continued the tale of Logan Nine-Fingers!"

Link: http://fantasy-faction.com/2012/fantasy-faction-podcast-joe-abercrombie

listening to the podcast now - ninefingers is almost certainly this uncle. When asked Joe did not immediately say he was dead or even hint that he was. The assumption was that Logen was alive and that we'll see him at some point in the future.

Maybe he did say that, I haven't followed his blog/interviews that closely. If so it's gonna be a strange western.

Actually since I heard that he was planning on doing a western in the same world I've been a little disappointed because I assumed he was going to show technological progression and that would kind of irreversibly change the setting, I prefer the sword & sorcery setting to the wild west/gunslinger one. When Bayaz played a big part in introducing cannons I figured that was the way he was going.

Actually since I heard that he was planning on doing a western in the same world I've been a little disappointed because I assumed he was going to show technological progression and that would kind of irreversibly change the setting, I prefer the sword & sorcery setting to the wild west/gunslinger one. When Bayaz played a big part in introducing cannons I figured that was the way he was going.

After this one he will do another trilogy that will be set another 15 or so years in the future (so about 30 years after the first trilogy). He'll probably center it on the Union again. I imagine that technologic advances will be pretty big in it.

Also, in the new trilogi he basically said he wouldn't use he's old characters and povs. For example, Jezal would still be king, but else wise not in the main story. seeing as this book would be his last with the oldies, Logen will be in it for sure. Logen is Lamb, simple as that.

Hopefully we'll see Glokta too, but sounded as if he was done with my fave character.

I want more Glokta, even though he's done as a POV. I feel so teased with vague references to spiders.

But for realz, I can't wait for Red Country. I remember when The Heroes came out in the UK....I was there for study abroad and going through a nasty depression. That book made me so happy for a few days. Calder <333

If Lamb is Logen, then I wonder what made him finally simmer down.

This author reminds me of David Gemmil in many ways and is always a pleasure to read.

I hope Abercrombie sticks with the idea of a timeline that proceeds normally/almost so. While I think Best Served Cold was his weakest so far that is only because with the other 3 books we didn't get to spend much time in Stiria.

Having just finished rereading Best Served Cold I hope "The Snake of Talins" is able to make it through Red Country and the next few books alive. She really grew on me. I also can't stop myself from thinking that the next time we see Nicomo Casca he's going to be duke of somewhere or other.

Archived