Joe Abercrombie - A Red Country

Topher

Since when were the Northlands seperated from Adua and Midderland by a sea?

yeah, I was thinking that too! They took ships from Adua to get to da fighting up North faster... but before a nice port was secured all armies just marched on up there on their own 2 feet

Wha?

The whole army in The First Law departs by ship. They take port in Angland (which is the part of the Northern continent controlled by the Union) and then march north from there.

I remember that, but for some reason I thought they were land connected to the south. More I stretch my memory though, I remember the Union were sure of navel supremacy, so my thoughts were probably wrong.

*stares at map some more* hmm... maybe its because its a circle. .. I know the book keeps saying Adua is "center of the World" and all, but I guess in my head I pictures the waters between Union and North more narrow.

Also keep picturing Adua more North~ish so it was kinda closer to Angland on the edge too... probly because near the end there Logen and some Northmen hadda do a bit of marching to kick Gurkish ass with Furious

Yeah, it's not official, so entirely speculative, really. Based on the information available it's a good effort, but it's not that close to my map. It's quite lumpy, and not particularly circular. Mine is much more crinkly, with a lot of ragged inlets and peninsulas. Entirely understandably, this map greatly emphasises places that are mentioned in the books whereas my map has a lot of land mass that is largely unknown, uncivilised and doesn't ever really get mentioned. So on my version Midderland is a comparatively small island in the centre, surrounded by the Circle Sea. Styria is about the same size as Midderland to the east, the Thousand Islands and Suljuk south and east of it, Thond north and east of it. The North is a big, roughly crescent shaped landmass with Angland projecting from the bottom towards Midderland. The west is an even bigger continent (not joined to the north, there's actually some ragged ass ice-filled straits between the two), with Starikland projecting into the Circle Sea from its eastern side. The south is then a huge and various landmass which devolves into mountainous desert and disappears off the edge of the Circle of the World.

In case you're interested...

Gotta love the summon author spell.

Thanks for the updated info! My head is spinning even more now as I try to visualize how it all fits together.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently in a re-read of the trilogy (halfway through Last argument), and realize that there is one character that i'd love to see again. Isern. She was awesome. I doubt she'd be around in the Red Country, but I hope to see her in future stories.

I'm currently in a re-read of the trilogy (halfway through Last argument), and realize that there is one character that i'd love to see again. Isern. She was awesome. I doubt she'd be around in the Red Country, but I hope to see her in future stories.

Uh, who is she again? What does she do? I don't remember anyone with that name.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Many of us are expecting this to be his best book I think.

I think "The Heroes" really set the bar high - I'll be more than happy if it matches the quality. I'll be mightilly impressed if it's better. I guess it does have the advantage of having a character I've been wanting to read about for 4 years now. It will easily jump to the top of my "to read list" and unless the book I'm reading is excellent, I'll put that book on hold to read Red country first.

If Joe is reading the thread I wonder if he has any idea whether Waterstone's will be doing the "exclusive extra material" again, like they did with "the heroes". If they are I'll preorder with them rather than Amazon.

I'm not. I've found with both books and music, when the writer struggles the finish product usually doesn't stack up to past works. I also don't trust early reviews. Hopefully this is an exception though!

I didn't realize he struggled with this one anymore than usual. The speed of new release since the Heroes suggests otherwise.

I think "The Heroes" really set the bar high - I'll be more than happy if it matches the quality. I'll be mightilly impressed if it's better. I guess it does have the advantage of having a character I've been wanting to read about for 4 years now. It will easily jump to the top of my "to read list" and unless the book I'm reading is excellent, I'll put that book on hold to read Red country first.

If Joe is reading the thread I wonder if he has any idea whether Waterstone's will be doing the "exclusive extra material" again, like they did with "the heroes". If they are I'll preorder with them rather than Amazon.

Paragraph 3:

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2012/07/09/nothing-worse-than-victory/

Archived