Small Questions on ADWD II

mormont

Who is the man that Theon meets on the walls of Winterfell?

Page 611

"Farther on, he come upon a man striding in the opposite direction, a hooded cloak flapping behind him."

I assumed it was Abel/Mance, but looking back the singer was in the hall mere moments before, and Theon can still hear music, although not singing. The way the man says "false is all you were" had me thinking it was someone from when Theon took Winterfell, but who? I may have just missed something but for the life of me can't place who this is.

In the Jon chapter where the 3 rangers are "returned" with their eyes cut out, when one of the Queen's Men, Alf of Runnymudd, heard that one of said rangers is Garth Greyfeather, he "let out a howl loud enough to wake sleepers in the Shadow Tower". Are we to assume they were lovers? Was something hinted at earlier?

In the Jon chapter where the 3 rangers are "returned" with their eyes cut out, when one of the Queen's Men, Alf of Runnymudd, heard that one of said rangers is Garth Greyfeather, he "let out a howl loud enough to wake sleepers in the Shadow Tower". Are we to assume they were lovers? Was something hinted at earlier?

Yes, I believe that was implied

Question for old-timers -- when was the preview version of the Dany fighting pits chapter first read publicly? The writeup was posted in Nov 2005 but the comments indicate it was from a while before that. It is so different from the final version that I was hoping to gain some insight into Martin's writing process by seeing what year this draft is from. Thanks!

Just went through this whole thread. Very interesting stuff.

Lord Manderly baked a "Frey pie"?? Arya gave the insurance broker a poison coin?? LOL! I totally need to read that book again! Didn't pick up on any of that. (then again, I'm not the brightest lamp in the living room, so do the math ... )

Question for old-timers -- when was the preview version of the Dany fighting pits chapter first read publicly? The writeup was posted in Nov 2005 but the comments indicate it was from a while before that. It is so different from the final version that I was hoping to gain some insight into Martin's writing process by seeing what year this draft is from. Thanks!

I think is 2001, though i'm not sure .

So would that would imply that this draft was read before the "five year gap" was eliminated?

Sorry, like i said i'm not sure . I think i mixed it up with the first Dany chapter which i know for sure was posted on an old forum like this and it was in 2001. The same is for the first Tyrion chapter .

I would like to know if there is a thread on this or a theory about this, because I couldn't find anything:

Melisandre tells Jon that "it is not the foes who curse you to your face that you must fear, but those who smile when you are looking and sharpen their knives when you turn your back. You would do well to keep your wolf close beside you. Ice, I see, and daggers in the dark."

I know she probably only knows half of what she is talking about for real, but if this was supposed as a foreshadowing or a warning - who, please, does actually 'smile' at Jon/is friendly towards him in ADWD? Surely not Bowen Marsh, what seems to be implied here by the daggers. The whole Night's Watch, especially Bowen Marsh, but also Stannis, Mance, the mustache-queen - practically everyone was just openly bitching around in his presence. Bowen Marsh as good as accused him of treason, openly. The only guys who 'smiled' that I can think of are those wildlings that bring their children as hostage, or Val or Tormund, but they all seem fine to go along with him to Winterfell or to carry out his plans, and most of the time they are bitching, too.

So she wouldn't be talking about this strange banker guy, by any chance?

I know she probably only knows half of what she is talking about for real, but if this was supposed as a foreshadowing or a warning - who, please, does actually 'smile' at Jon/is friendly towards him in ADWD? Surely not Bowen Marsh, what seems to be implied here by the daggers

Like you say, she probably doesn't really know what she's talking about, but I interpreted it as "Bowen, not Throne/Slynt." Jon sometimes disagrees with Bowen but he always views him as a loyal #2 and never once feels threatened by him or views him as an enemy, until it happens.

At the risk of getting away from the intent of the thread, I always thought that her confusion of Stannis with Jon Snow when looking for Azor Ahai actually went both ways, and that Stannis was the person she needed to warn about foes smiling in his face while sharpening their knives (Arnolf Karstark).

At the risk of getting away from the intent of the thread, I always thought that her confusion of Stannis with Jon Snow when looking for Azor Ahai actually went both ways, and that Stannis was the person she needed to warn about foes smiling in his face while sharpening their knives (Arnolf Karstark).

No, it has to do with Jon. GRRM said it in a interview that he wrote that chapter 10 years ago and it was meant for Jon .

I would like to know if there is a thread on this or a theory about this, because I couldn't find anything:

Melisandre tells Jon that "it is not the foes who curse you to your face that you must fear, but those who smile when you are looking and sharpen their knives when you turn your back. You would do well to keep your wolf close beside you. Ice, I see, and daggers in the dark."

I know she probably only knows half of what she is talking about for real, but if this was supposed as a foreshadowing or a warning - who, please, does actually 'smile' at Jon/is friendly towards him in ADWD? Surely not Bowen Marsh, what seems to be implied here by the daggers. The whole Night's Watch, especially Bowen Marsh, but also Stannis, Mance, the mustache-queen - practically everyone was just openly bitching around in his presence. Bowen Marsh as good as accused him of treason, openly. The only guys who 'smiled' that I can think of are those wildlings that bring their children as hostage, or Val or Tormund, but they all seem fine to go along with him to Winterfell or to carry out his plans, and most of the time they are bitching, too.

So she wouldn't be talking about this strange banker guy, by any chance?

No, I'm pretty sure all he came for was a payment from Stannis, One of the bankers came to Kings Landing and he didn't do anything.

Re: Winterfell temperature. Maybe there must always be a Stark in Winterfell because they're the only ones that can get the boiler lit? It's a similar situation in my house when my significant other is away :)

LMAO, I definitely think that their presence has something to do with the shindigs going on in the crypts...............but boy of boy, did you ever make that a BRILLIANTLY simple and entertaining analogy

No, it has to do with Jon. GRRM said it in a interview that he wrote that chapter 10 years ago and it was meant for Jon .

What interview was that?

If it was for Jon, I wouldn't be surprised if Mel was actually misinterpreting Jon's resurrection (not necessarily his destruction): if Jon is reborn in ice (as many have speculated), maybe the people sharpening their daggers are doing so to chip away at the ice, and thus, to free Jon from the ice cells where his body (possibly) is placed? (Didn't Melisandre's prophecy say she saw ice, and daggers in the dark? It's certainly dark in the ice cells.)

Here's my question: on at least two occasions we hear reference to "red wolves" in Essos. An elephant kills a pack of red wolves in the Meereen pits and Jon Connington is wearing the pelts of red wolves. So what exactly are red wolves? Are they supposed to be smaller than ordinary Westerosi wolves? Clearly they're going to be smaller than direwolves. But are they just supposed to be exactly like ordinary wolves, but with a reddish tinge? Since the Starks are so heavily associated with wolves, I was wondering what foreshadowing GRRM was giving us with the wolves of Essos, but I'm just not sure if Essos has the same general type of wolves as Westeros.

Archived