Small Questions on ADWD II

mormont

I have a question about Roose Bolton: on pg 428 (North American hardcover) of ADWD, a Reek POV, Roose tells Reek/Theon not to say the two words "My Lord" seperatley but to blurr them into "M'lord" as if he didn't know they were two words, or otherwise he would never be taken for one of the smallfolk, and his way of speaking would always brand him as highborn. But when Roose has Arya as his cupbearer in ACOK she clearly says "My Lord" as two words many times and would have otherwise spoken like a highborn lady-child. Did Roose not catch this? Did he not care? Was he lying when he said he was leaving her for the Goat? Or is that crackpot?

Thank you.

When I read the exchange between Roose and "Reek" I thought about this also. From the little we know about Roose it's pretty clear that he doesn't tolerate insolence from the small folk. Yet he's pretty patient with Arya when they first meet and even more patient when she questions him about what he'll do with her upon leaving Harrenhaul. Could be he was grateful for the Weasel soup but it's hard to believe that even wild Arya sounded like a peasant. Keeping her as his cup girl kept her close and under wraps for future plans. Since he was still playing the loyal banner man? I don't know but it seems like more than a coincidence.

Ok, really small question.

Any thoughts on a couple of times Missandei heard things in the night. Once she heard the refugees from Astapor scratching at the gates. There was another time, I can't recall the exact instance, but I believe she heard voices. I know she heard Dani talking to Qaithe and screaming with Daario but the other two instances seem strange and out of place. Could be nothing but it peeked my curiosity.

When I read the exchange between Roose and "Reek" I thought about this also. From the little we know about Roose it's pretty clear that he doesn't tolerate insolence from the small folk. Yet he's pretty patient with Arya when they first meet and even more patient when she questions him about what he'll do with her upon leaving Harrenhaul. Could be he was grateful for the Weasel soup but it's hard to believe that even wild Arya sounded like a peasant. Keeping her as his cup girl kept her close and under wraps for future plans. Since he was still playing the loyal banner man? I don't know but it seems like more than a coincidence.

Any thoughts on a couple of times Missandei heard things in the night. Once she heard the refugees from Astapor scratching at the gates. There was another time, I can't recall the exact instance, but I believe she heard voices. I know she heard Dani talking to Qaithe and screaming with Daario but the other two instances seem strange and out of place. Could be nothing but it peeked my curiosity.

RE: Arya. It's Roose who tells her to call him "my lord". Arya doesn't talk like a paesant, but she doesn't sound highborn either, so i guess Roose didn't fully realize who he was talking to. He would have done something otherwise.

RE:Question. Maybe she's just worried. Or there's another possibility i read a while ago. Missandei is hearing voices. Barristan doesn't remember things that DID happen (like Dany laughing at Quentyn)..is possible that Dany is going mad, or looks like, and people around her are doing everything to avoid to notice it? Like imagining to see/hear things that didn't happen..

It's a bit crackpot, but i like it

RE:Question. Maybe she's just worried. Or there's another possibility i read a while ago. Missandei is hearing voices. Barristan doesn't remember things that DID happen (like Dany laughing at Quentyn)..is possible that Dany is going mad, or looks like, and people around her are doing everything to avoid to notice it? Like imagining to see/hear things that didn't happen..

It's a bit crackpot, but i like it

But Quentyn and his companions are saying she did laugh, so I don't think Dany's laughing occurred only in her head. Barristan's just being defensive, I think.

Any thoughts on a couple of times Missandei heard things in the night. Once she heard the refugees from Astapor scratching at the gates.

I'm pretty sure she heard the dragons scratching at the walls of their pen. When Quentyn enters the dragon pit, he notices that one of the dragons (I believe it was Viserion, but I don't really recall) had dug a deep burrow into the stone walls of the pit.

However, it could be metaphorical, or prophetic... i.e. the bloody flux trying to claw its way into the city.

Danny was laughing from the fact of frog turning into prince, not from Quentyn himself, what she has explained. Thus Barristan says she wasn't laughing from Quentyn.

She didn't explain it... and Barristan said she didn't laugh. Anyway, this is another theory. The answer above makes more sense :D

She did explain it in Ghiscari (which I guess someone should translate to Dornishmen), and then asks Quentyn in common speech if he was enchanted and the talk of the marriage goes on. I believed after the first awkward moment both the court and Dornishmen understood why was she laughing.

She did explain it in Ghiscari (which I guess someone should translate to Dornishmen), and then asks Quentyn in common speech if he was enchanted and the talk of the marriage goes on. I believed after the first awkward moment both the court and Dornishmen understood why was she laughing.

I don't think someone transalted it to the Dornishmen.. Drinkwater DID complain to Barristan that Dany laughed at Quentyn. And I don't think Barristan understood either.

When Ser Jorah and Tyrion seek help from The Widow of the Waterfront in Volantis, she first turns them away, saying she does not trust Ser Jorah. Then after Penny attacks Tyrion, the widow has a sudden change of heart and decides to help them. Why?

At first, I thought she did not really help them, because of the misfortunes of the ship, but when I re-read what she told Tyrion about her message to Daenerys, no, there could be no doubt that she actually intended to help them. I've studied the passage thoroughly, and Ser Jorah is possibly a little bit chivalrous, Tyrion a little bit gracious, but surely nothing happens there that would sway an old clever crone like the widow. So what did I miss? Did someone catch it?

Apologies if this has been asked a hundred times already! In aSoS, before the Red Wedding, Rob sent off some of his Northmen (including a Mormont I believe?) to Greywater Watch, with documentation saying Jon should become Lord of Winterfell in the case of Rob's death... have we heard about any of these Northmen since?

Yes, it is a cliffhanger. George was asked in an interview with EW why he killed Jon Snow, and his answer was "You think he's dead, do you?" He then goes on to say, "I'm not going to address whether he's dead or not." He clearly intends for the outcome to be uncertain, which is pretty much the definition of a cliffhanger.

Not having ever been on ASoIaF froums/site before yesterday (and only having read all the series in the past two-three months) I was so unaware of many underlying plot threads and theories: thinks like the Freys baked in the pies and R+L=J (all of which kinda make sense) - although other things readers missed I did pick up on (Mance was the bard, the coin was poisoned etc). Despite the number of supposed character deaths we've witnessed (Arya outside the Twins, Brienna being hung, "Davos" strung up with an onion in his mouth) I honestly thought: my god, he has done a Ned and killed off a beloved character, and I never saw it coming. In many ways I'd be kind of disapointed if Jon isn't dead - but, on the other, as he is one of my favourites a huge amount relieved. I do feel we really need a *major* POV character death though to remind us no-one is safe: Ned was the first, and in ASOS the RW was a huge, huge shock (except Rob was never POV and Cat is sorta not dead). We've had the death of the Prince of Dorne, but he isn't that major (although will have repercussions).

Apologies if this has been asked a hundred times already! In aSoS, before the Red Wedding, Rob sent off some of his Northmen (including a Mormont I believe?) to Greywater Watch, with documentation saying Jon should become Lord of Winterfell in the case of Rob's death... have we heard about any of these Northmen since?

no, we haven't

Yes we have. Maege Mormont was one of those people he sent off. Alysane Mormont, Maege's daughter, tells Asha: "Lyra and Jory are with our mother." So Maege has made it back to the North, and is doing something with two of her daughters. I don't know what it is, but I'm guessing that Roose Bolton is not going to like it very much when he finds out about it.

Yes we have. Maege Mormont was one of those people he sent off. Alysane Mormont, Maege's daughter, tells Asha: "Lyra and Jory are with our mother." So Maege has made it back to the North, and is doing something with two of her daughters. I don't know what it is, but I'm guessing that Roose Bolton is not going to like it very much when he finds out about it.

Is that what Roose Bolton was angry about at Winterfell just before Theon escaped with Jeyne? Perhaps they had word that Jon Snow was to be legitimised as Robb's heir and it also explains the tone of Ramsay's letter where he repeatedly calls Jon Snow a bastard.

Good catch! I've taken the information just that Lyra and Jory have gone with Maege, not that it means Maege has come back. That would be great, I was worried for the eldest Lady Bear. And indeed explain Ramsay's anger, Roose probably knows of the letter, had to sign it as witness as all the other Rob's banner-men.

Assuming all banner-men were present. Wanted to check it but I can't find it.

Is that what Roose Bolton was angry about at Winterfell just before Theon escaped with Jeyne? Perhaps they had word that Jon Snow was to be legitimised as Robb's heir and it also explains the tone of Ramsay's letter where he repeatedly calls Jon Snow a bastard.

It's possible. I don't think we'll know for sure what Roose was angry about until the next book. Also, I have been assuming that Maege went back to Bear Island, collected two of her daughters, left her youngest in charge, and set out. But it's possible that she sent a raven and told them to meet her somewhere. Either way, I'm sure that she's past the Neck now, and plotting the downfall of the Boltons and the Freys.

OK here's my question that I don't remember in any of the books, or any net searches:

Why must there always be a Stark in Winterfell?

Are the Starks the only people who can stop the others, or maybe the Night King, are the answers in the Stark crypts?

OK here's my question that I don't remember in any of the books, or any net searches:

Why must there always be a Stark in Winterfell?

Are the Starks the only people who can stop the others, or maybe the Night King, are the answers in the Stark crypts?

Your guess is as good as anyone's. My favorite answer is that only the Starks pass down the knowledge of how to start the boiler, so Winterfell will be too cold during the Winter without a Stark.

Anyway, I never took that line very seriously, because it was Catelyn who said it, and god knows that Catelyn has been wrong about plenty of other things.

Pretty sure more people than poor Catelyn say it ...

Archived