Small Questions on ADWD II

mormont

"I was wondering with the suspicion that Melisandre is in fact a glamour herself (her throat ruby serving the same fucntion as the ruby manacle did for the Rattleshirt-Mance Rayder disguise), do we have any clue about who she could be really? Or just an a character to be named later?"

Areo, that's a really neat idea, and I could see it coming to fruition. Melisandre seems too wise, and too powerful to be a 20-something year old witch.

Melisandre thinks to herself in her POV that she had practiced her art of reading the flames for 'years beyond count.' Thats a lot of years! She must be very very old, older than BR, older than Maester Aemon. Also, remember, she does not need to eat, and she has flames leaking out of her private bits at times.

If that is an accurate thought of hers, then she is freakishly, inhumanly old.

She has the glamour b/c of that I bet.

Do you think that The Hound is going to kill Franken-Gregor?

It seems like the Hound is alive, recuperating in a monastery, and it seems like Franken-Gregor has been reborn by Qyburn.

Do you think that Cersei will demand a trial by combat, and it will result in The Hound (representing the Sept) fighting Gregor-Stein?

That would be pretty awesome!

Not too likely. While it resonates, a lame, half-cripped man doesn't have much chance against a monstrosity such as Gregor Clegane (let alone undead-Gregor). Recall that the much-elaborated strategy for beating someone so big is to wear them down, and a lame swordsman wouldn't be agile enough to do so.

The other alternative would be the ever-popular kill it with fire!, but for some reason Sandor using this seems unlikely. It would be pretty awesome if he did, though.

Not too likely. While it resonates, a lame, half-cripped man doesn't have much chance against a monstrosity such as Gregor Clegane (let alone undead-Gregor). Recall that the much-elaborated strategy for beating someone so big is to wear them down, and a lame swordsman wouldn't be agile enough to do so.

The other alternative would be the ever-popular kill it with fire!, but for some reason Sandor using this seems unlikely. It would be pretty awesome if he did, though.

The Hound was afraid of fire; perhaps Sandor Clegane is not...

It will be Colonel Sandor, in the library, with a FLAMING SWORD!

The Hound was afraid of fire; perhaps Sandor Clegane is not...

The Hound was afraid of fire because his brother burned half his face off with it. Sandor Clegane also had half his face burned off...

That said, maybe he's gone all Zen Monk. I did say it would be pretty awesome if he did that, and it's pretty much the only way he could defeat un-Gregor (who would still be able to crush him, though, Oberyn-style, with the obviously lame leg and inability to dodge away....this isn't modern healthcare, and there was no servant of the Fire God handy to give him an unholy fireleg).

The Hound was afraid of fire because his brother burned half his face off with it. Sandor Clegane also had half his face burned off...

That said, maybe he's gone all Zen Monk. I did say it would be pretty awesome if he did that, and it's pretty much the only way he could defeat un-Gregor (who would still be able to crush him, though, Oberyn-style, with the obviously lame leg and inability to dodge away....this isn't modern healthcare, and there was no servant of the Fire God handy to give him an unholy fireleg).

How long has it been since he got hurt in ASOS that he is seen in AFFC? i know it's a long shot but his leg could still be healing.

iirc we havent seen him since Arya left him. But then all that Saltpan masacring got blamed on him, but somewhere it said he had joined Dondarion/Stoneheart? But surely they would still be not so fond of him from when they gave him trial? unless they are very good at forgiveness.

And if Thoros is half decent he could sort out Sandor's leg, he doesnt need to be lame.

Small fast question: GRRM plans to start writing again in 2012, no?

How long would it be for him to finish this next?

I'm so afraid it'll take as long as the other ones. I can't read anything else for now, I'm way too immersed. ):

Do you think that The Hound is going to kill Franken-Gregor?

It seems like the Hound is alive, recuperating in a monastery, and it seems like Franken-Gregor has been reborn by Qyburn.

Do you think that Cersei will demand a trial by combat, and it will result in The Hound (representing the Sept) fighting Gregor-Stein?

That would be pretty awesome!

I think that the Hound will eventually kill Gregor-stein, but not at Cersei's trial. Cersei needs to live so that she can create more havoc in the realm and more forehead-slapping "d'oh!" moments for us to enjoy/loathe. For Cersei to survive her trial, her champion - Strong/Gregorstein - also needs to survive. And for Strong-Gregorstein to survive his opponent must die. And I don't want the Hound dying anytime soon. I think that the Sandor will kill Gregor at some later date, possibly - as the 'shippers would hope - while he is defending Sansa.

He also says I am not even a man at one point

And I believe he says he can't " I don't have ,,,," need to research.

I think so, it was implied when Ramsay and Jeyne went to the bedding he told him to get her ready and he said but I... and Ramsay said with his mouth. He didn't say it outright there, also it might have been hinted at when we first find out about him being tortured.

Everyone is referring to Robert Strong as UnGregor. Is this just because he's 8 feet tall? I always imagined he was a frankenstein style amalgamation of lots of different men because Qyburn had been taking people for research for ages.

Also the whole situation with the trial:

Cersei chose trial by battle, with Rob Strong as her champion. I think in DwD it mentioned that Margery was having a trial by actual court? So who is vs who? Its not like a real courtroom where it would be Cersei vs Margery, its like Cersei vs Gods and Margery vs Gods? Who is going to be Robert Strongs opponent?

Everyone is referring to Robert Strong as UnGregor. Is this just because he's 8 feet tall? I always imagined he was a frankenstein style amalgamation of lots of different men because Qyburn had been taking people for research for ages.

Also the whole situation with the trial:

Cersei chose trial by battle, with Rob Strong as her champion. I think in DwD it mentioned that Margery was having a trial by actual court? So who is vs who? Its not like a real courtroom where it would be Cersei vs Margery, its like Cersei vs Gods and Margery vs Gods? Who is going to be Robert Strongs opponent?

The newest brother from the Quiet Isle. ;-)

Yes, it was Brienne who saw him as gravedigger on Quiet Isle. While there's no explicit confirmation that it's Sandor Clegane, it does look a lot that way.

However, the chances that the Elder Brother of Quet Isle, who was so insistent on how the Hound was "at peace" now would want to push him back onto the battlefield and have him go to King's Landing for the trial are quite remote, especially as the Faith will have no shortage of knights willing to fight for it (all the members of the newly recreated Swords for once). However, I'd bet quite heavily on Gregorstein's and Sandor's paths crossing yet before the series is out.

Archived