Small Questions on ADWD II

mormont

Only Wendel Manderly, one of the two sons, is confirmed dead (death by Red Wedding). The father Wyman Manderly was wounded at Winterfell by Hosteen Frey, almost, but not actually, resulting in a slit throat. As he is now in the care of a maester and didn't die immediately, his chances for recovery are very high (wounds to the neck usually kill either quickly or not at all if basic medical assistence can be given).

Thanks. Another one, whose drums and horns were heard outside Winterfell? It wasn't Stannis. Who was it?

Mors Umber. The Iron Banker tells Asha that he found Mors Umber camped outside the walls of WF and that is where he found Theon and Jeyne Poole.

Yes! When the bastard asks him to get Jeyne Poole ready- he say but sir I have no, and then the bastard tells him no use your mouth. He also says I am not a man several times and refusesto be bathed and undressed several times. So sorry for not direct quotes but they exsist fo sho

I think you may have misinterpreted the line. Here it is, from page 499:

Ramsay rose, the firelight shining on his face. "Reek, get over here. Get her ready for me."

For a moment he did not understand. "I … do you mean … m’lord, I have no ... I ..."

The word that would follow "no" would be something like "oil" or "lubricant" or such. From experience I can assure you that you don't "get her ready" by dry-screwing. :cool4:

More clearly, just a few sentences before the line we have Ramsay effectively confirm Theon's parts are at least mostly intact when, after seeing Jeyne nude, we get:

Ramsay smiled his wet smile. “Does she make your cock hard, Reek? Is it straining against your laces? Would you like to fuck her first?”

His use of "cock" lets us know that he's got the "frank" portion, and his questioning whether it was hard indicates he's still got the the "beans" portion, too.

The being "not a man" stuff is about his cowardice and utterly crushed self-esteem, I'd say.

His use of "cock" lets us know that he's got the "frank" portion, and his questioning whether it was hard indicates he's still got the the "beans" portion, too.

That’s one possibility. Another is that he’s intentionally torturing Theon about the impossible.

No way to know without author confirmation, I think.

Also note Theon's line about Ramsey having been so good to him, having only taken x fingers, y toes "and that other thing". There are some crackpot theories about what else it could be (freedom, an earlobe noone mentions, some part of his genitals but not the whole thing...), and maybe one of them is actually true, but at least the most straightforward interpretation is that Theon's junk is gone.

I think you may have misinterpreted the line. Here it is, from page 499:

The word that would follow "no" would be something like "oil" or "lubricant" or such. From experience I can assure you that you don't "get her ready" by dry-screwing. :cool4:

More clearly, just a few sentences before the line we have Ramsay effectively confirm Theon's parts are at least mostly intact when, after seeing Jeyne nude, we get:

The being "not a man" stuff is about his cowardice and utterly crushed self-esteem, I'd say.

this is how i took it - he is intact imo

If dany's dragons were originally dead stone and were given life by human sacrifice can they the be "warged" by the others?

Has someone written down all the "rules" of all the supernatural shit in the series and put it in one place

in the same way you can get a complete list of characters and their descriptions quoted from the text.

If dany's dragons were originally dead stone and were given life by human sacrifice can they the be "warged" by the others?

I don't think we have an indication of the Others ever being able to control a reanimated being that wasn't resurrected on the Other's terms, although there are several more such beings: The Lightening Lord, Ser Robert Strong (with Qyburn's victims as sacrifice), Lady Stoneheart (with Dondarrion as sacrifice), possibly Patchface and maybe even Damphair's Drowned Men (though I personally doubt that it's magic that brings them back). In any case dragons seem to be so contrary to the Other's nature (fire instead of ice) that I don't think they can control them like they do their corpse-thralls.

Actual wargs on the "other" hand... GRRM has been asked whether a warg (say: Bran or Bloodraven) could warg into a dragon. He said that we'll just have to wait and see... so it's quite possible that it's possible.

Has someone written down all the "rules" of all the supernatural shit in the series and put it in one place

in the same way you can get a complete list of characters and their descriptions quoted from the text.

Maybe, but not that I know of. It would also be very difficult to do, cause unlike character descriptions we only hear about the rules of gods and magic through vague allusions, often given by people who themselves have very limited knowledge of what they're talking about and almost always an agenda to confuse or at least veil the workings of magic before the POV through whose ears we hear them.

We can't rule it out, but there is some indication against it:

- Bran & co are attacked by wights and certainly appear to have been in real danger

- The CotF Bran resides with don't appear to be the type to create and unleash such an army

- The old folk tales told that in the first War for Dawn, the CotF and the First Men had to ally against the Others

- The CotF used to supply the NW with dragonglass

- Melisandre believes Bran / Bloodraven to be the Anti-Azor-Ahai, champion(s) of the great Other, just as she thinks Stannisas AAreborn is the champion of the R'hllor. Obviously, if Mel thinks it so, it can't be true, can it ;-)

Nevertheless, all this stuff can be explained away if you put your mind to it, so it could actually be true and might make for quite a twist. There are some interestings posts about it in this thread.

does maester aemon know bloodraven is a greenseer and where and what he is now.

Are the Others controlled by, or the army of, The Children of the Forest?

To both questions, there are no indications of neither one.

But there are some (crackpot) theorys about the second question.

I'm going to get slammed for this...

How is it that this society has been around, with a modern agricultural means of survival for over 8000 years, but they haven't progressed past feudal times technology?

In other words, the real world had a modern agricultural system in about 1500 AD, and the luxuries of an agricultural system allowed for further education and technological advances. Westoros seems to have been using the same technology for the past 8000 years.

Why can't they advance?

I'm going to get slammed for this...

How is it that this society has been around, with a modern agricultural means of survival for over 8000 years, but they haven't progressed past feudal times technology?

In other words, the real world had a modern agricultural system in about 1500 AD, and the luxuries of an agricultural system allowed for further education and technological advances. Westoros seems to have been using the same technology for the past 8000 years.

Why can't they advance?

Because there wouldnt be a story if they did!!

maybe since there are dragons no one needed to invent gunpowder. As long as their is magic there is no need for technology or science. If the maester had their way magic would be gone and the rebellion would be in a post nuclear age

There are a number of possible explanations for that which people have come up with. I give those I remember in no particular order:

- They have advanced a lot. Now that writing has been adapted (not too long ago!) and the maesters have gained prominence over older cults like the pyromancers (think: science replaces alchemy), it will continue to advance

- They have advanced a lot. But when telling stories of past ages, they introduce a lot of anachronisms -- a phenomenon not unknown to our oral traditions. That gives the appearance that they were just as advanced in earlier times, when in fact they weren't

- The strange season system is detrimental to advanced technological development

- Magic makes technological advancement unnecessary so the basics of what could eventually replace magic are never developed

- The industrial revolution was not a forced event in our world and the period of slow and in some ways backwards technological advancement between Roman ages and the Renaissance could well have continued for a lot longer

- GRRM falls victim to the stability fallacy which has plagued the genre since Tolkien. I personally don't think so as the other points satisfy me, but of course it is a common fallacy in the genre.

Winterfell is cold inside? As I recall Winterfell was always warm because of the hot springs which ran through it's walls. Any ideas why it is cold now? Even if it was "burned" the stone walls and the hot springs wouldn't be affected. So why is it cold?

Winterfell is cold inside? As I recall Winterfell was always warm because of the hot springs which ran through it's walls. Any ideas why it is cold now? Even if it was "burned" the stone walls and the hot springs wouldn't be affected. So why is it cold?

The warm water from the hot springs had to be pumped throughout the castle walls in order to keep the place warm, IIRC. Presumably this system was damaged by Ramsay.

Archived