Small Questions on ADWD II

mormont

Not sure how she got Ned killed really...that was kinda all Joffrey's doing, even Cersei etc cant really be held culpable in my mind. You could blame Cat if you want to say she shouldnt have let him go South to begin with but with that logic so could say its Hoster Tullys fault for producing Cat in the first place. Same with Rob really....Rob married the Westerling and then didnt heed his wolf's warning outside the Twins. I know we never got a Robb PoV but he doesnt seem as involved with Grey Wind as the others are with theirs. Its kinda just a badass pet to him.

Yeah, I'm with Areo Hoteh here.

Cat made a bunch of bad decisions, but the death of Ned Stark has a lot more to do with his investigation into the incest situation than the decision by Catelyn to kidnap Tyrion.

That being said, Cat is my least favorite character in the Series, and I can't wait for Brienne and Jaime to chop her miserable head off next book.

When Tyrion first meets Oberyn Martell in ASOS he says that Oberyn spent some time in the Free Cities, served with Second Sons, and later formed his own company.

The Tattered Prince "had ridden wiht the Second Sons, the Iron Shields, and the Maiden's Men, then joined five brothers in arms to form the Windblown. Of those six founders, only he survived."

Could it be that Oberyn could have been on of those six? When I read it, I took it to mean that the other five founders died in service to the Windblown, but it didn't specifically say that. Oberyn is certainly dead anyway. I am just not sure on the timeline. The Windblown were supposed to be around for about thirty years. Their founding could have been established before Oberyn started his travels.

It would just be interesting since Quentyn, Oberyn's nephew, died while serving in the Windblown. Also, Tyrion is now himself in the Second Sons.

I know we never got a Robb PoV but he doesnt seem as involved with Grey Wind as the others are with theirs. Its kinda just a badass pet to him.

Well, Grey Wind was the most loyal obedient of the direwolves. I assume some amount of warging was involved.

When Tyrion first meets Oberyn Martell in ASOS he says that Oberyn spent some time in the Free Cities, served with Second Sons, and later formed his own company.

The Tattered Prince "had ridden wiht the Second Sons, the Iron Shields, and the Maiden's Men, then joined five brothers in arms to form the Windblown. Of those six founders, only he survived."

Could it be that Oberyn could have been on of those six? When I read it, I took it to mean that the other five founders died in service to the Windblown, but it didn't specifically say that. Oberyn is certainly dead anyway. I am just not sure on the timeline. The Windblown were supposed to be around for about thirty years. Their founding could have been established before Oberyn started his travels.

It would just be interesting since Quentyn, Oberyn's nephew, died while serving in the Windblown. Also, Tyrion is now himself in the Second Sons.

It would be interesting to have a company pop up out of nowhere in the next book and support Dorne. If not the Windblown, then another one. Maybe the company broke up or were killed off after the Red Viper returned to Westeros, but it's something to keep an eye on all the same.

Yeah, I'm with Areo Hoteh here.

Cat made a bunch of bad decisions, but the death of Ned Stark has a lot more to do with his investigation into the incest situation than the decision by Catelyn to kidnap Tyrion.

That being said, Cat is my least favorite character in the Series, and I can't wait for Brienne and Jaime to chop her miserable head off next book.

How about her choping Jaime worthless head instead ?

So Im re-reading Dance, and i just finished reading Theons chapter where he takes Lady Dustin down into the crypts. I came across something intresting that i didnt really catch or thought it of any importance the on my first read, so at the beginning of the chapter Theon is in the Winterfells hall breaking his fast sitting down on the table alone and one of the Abels women companions (Mance and the spearwifes) comes up to Theon to talk to him about how he took winterfell with so few men and if there was some secret way in that he used to do it.Theon doesnt tell her cause he thinks it's one of Ramsays little jokes but we know how he did it but it cant be done by Stannis that way because of the snow.

I assumed she was asking if there was a secret way so that Mance & Co. can escape with :"Arya" out that way, but maybe the Spearwife really asked Theon because so Stannis can use it to take the castle and Mance could prove his loyalty and save his and his sons ass from Stannis.

But anyway what i possibly got out of this is it could be some evidence that possiblly Mance wrote the letter so to lure Jon and when he gets there Mance isnt really imprisoned and the battle has yet to begin. So Mance has somehow kept himself hidden within winterfell or around it after the the rescue of Arya, ans so condsidering Mance has been inside and around the Lords there at Winterfell spying and so he knows something that can help Stannis but since he's thought dead or will be if he shows his face around the king. So he writes this letter to intending on Jon to forget his vows and lure him down with a wildling army and tell Jon what he knows that could enable Stannis to take Winterfell and for Mance to save his head and his son.

So i wanted to see what you guys thought on my possible theory.

Well, Grey Wind was the most loyal obedient of the direwolves. I assume some amount of warging was involved.

I agree. My secret hope is that Jeyne Westerling appears somewhere and reveals that Robb sometimes woke up in the middle of the night saying he had dreamt about wolves. That way we may get a confirmation that all of the Stark children (maybe apart of Sansa, that is yet to be revealed) are/were wargs.

Tormund: I do not know what happened at Winterfell, but one thing about all these "X wrote the letter" that I have problems with is the fact that we do not even know whether Mance could write. I think it is nowhere stated that he could and in this world, most of people cannot. And Mance was not highborn to have had education in this thing.

Tormund: I do not know what happened at Winterfell, but one thing about all these "X wrote the letter" that I have problems with is the fact that we do not even know whether Mance could write. I think it is nowhere stated that he could and in this world, most of people cannot. And Mance was not highborn to have had education in this thing.

Mance comes across to me as intellegent man, he was able to be proclaim himself King beyond the wall and lead and unite the free folk. I'd assume he he was able to read and write, he was brought up in the nights watch so he could possiblly had learn to read and write there. If not like i said he couda figured something out like i said he was a smart guy and got something written in secret at Winterfell.

This was just an idea of mine and I dont fully subscribe to it, i really wnated to get some feedback.

Greetings everybody :)

Her POV chapter suggests that her birth name was "Melony", she was sold into slavery and it's plausible that she was bought by a Red Temple, trained as priestess and renamed Melissandre, which is reasonably close to Melony. She still could wear a glamour to disguise the fact that she's old or ugly or disfigured, cause we know she's very conscious of the connection of appearance and power.

That's very good observation - she could be much older than she looks like. I didn't pay attention to it while reading thinking of like 20 years or so. But also if she was a slave in Volantis (assuming it was Volantis, could be some other place) she would have slave tattoos on her face, which she doesn't. The probable slave tattoos would give away she is not from Asshai, which she claims to be.

While red eyes must be true, meaning she has got green sight, if I understood BR words correctly. This would explain at least partially why she is such good in reading flames (at least she thinks to be the best).

Is Theon gelded?

I think so, once when Theon was reflecting on what Ramsay had done to him he said he flaid his fingers and toes, knocked some teeth out, cut off toe/finger and then he said there was that other thing. To me that made it seem like Ramsay gelded him because later Ramsay made a jest bout him not being a real man. Feel like he was hinting about him losing his lil kracken.

There's plenty of ideas. I would suggest doing a search on the board here for discussion on the topic. I personally think he's alive (hell, people have survived worse in real life) but he's going to be pretty messed up for a while.

Did Dany miscarry at the end of Dance with Dragons? I seem to recall that she has what seems like a heavy period after eating those berries, and she thinks to herself that she hadn't had a period for months.

Yeah, she probably did. I think it was a way to show she's fertile again - after the Sun rose in the west set in the east :)

Greetings everybody :)

That's very good observation - she could be much older than she looks like. I didn't pay attention to it while reading thinking of like 20 years or so. But also if she was a slave in Volantis (assuming it was Volantis, could be some other place) she would have slave tattoos on her face, which she doesn't. The probable slave tattoos would give away she is not from Asshai, which she claims to be.

While red eyes must be true, meaning she has got green sight, if I understood BR words correctly. This would explain at least partially why she is such good in reading flames (at least she thinks to be the best).

She is much older than she looks. She thinks to herself in her POV that she has practiced her art of reading the flames for years beyond count. She's pretty old.

I think only the slaves from Volantis had slaves tattoos?

I think only the slaves from Volantis had slaves tattoos?

yes.

But this doesn't mean she's not from Assai, because she thinks about Assai in her POV. Maybe she was born there or she lived there for a while

Or has been sent there to learn more than she could at her primary temple.

Since I posted here I've found at least two topics on Melisandre which must be better places to discuss her past, like these:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/54238-adwd-spoilers-melony-lot-seven

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/54362-adwd-spoilers-does-melisandre-wear-a-glamor

Archived